• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT Do you register your firearms?

Aaron1124

imported post

I know Washington State doesn't mandate the registration of a firearm, but out of curiosity, do you register your firearms?

What are the pros and cons of registering and not registering your firearms?

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

no - don't need the govt knowing what you haveso oboomacan setthe goons out to collect them.

heresolong

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
Yes I do, while it might not be mandated you register a firearm when you buy one from an FFL.
Although true, I think the question is have you filled out the "registration" form with the state for the rest of your guns. I have not and will not. They have no need to know.

FunkTrooper

imported post

heresolong wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:
Yes I do, while it might not be mandated you register a firearm when you buy one from an FFL.
Although true, I think the question is have you filled out the "registration" form with the state for the rest of your guns. I have not and will not. They have no need to know.
I agree, I would not willingly consent to register my firearms but I think we need even less registration than we already have.

sempercarry

imported post

Doesn't the registration when bought from an ffl only stay on record for 30 days. Thats what I was told from a local ffl.

Hammer

imported post

Sure, they're all registered, ossifer.
Can you have them if you knock on my door?
Well, of course.
Just like Charlton Heston offered them.
Oh, you didn't want the muzzle end first? Well, it's the only way they're offered....

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

sempercarry wrote:
Doesn't the registration when bought from an ffl only stay on record for 30 days. Thats what I was told from a local ffl.
He lied to you.

Dept of Licensing records the "
State application to transfer pistol or revolver" (http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/652001x.pdf), the blue state form you fill out when buying a handgun from an FFL, into their database and it is there forever.

If the gun is stolen, or if you sell it and fill out the private transfer form (http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652004.pdf) it may come off of you record, I honestly don't know if they remove it or if they just make a notation in the file.

If you sell it, all buyer and seller info must be filled out and must have both signatures. The gun will then be listed under the new owners name.

This record of sale info (along with CPL status) is then available with a simple query of DOL records. More and more agencies seem to be automating this check so it is done on traffic stops. Personally, I think returning pistol purchase info is a violation of the state law regarding it's release, but until someone challenges that (and wins) it will continue to be done.

Relevant RCWs:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.129

RCW 9.41.129 - Record Keeping Requirements.

The department of licensing may keep copies or records of applications for concealed pistol licenses provided for in RCW 9.41.070, copies or records of applications for alien firearm licenses, copies or records of applications to purchase pistols provided for in RCW 9.41.090, and copies or records of pistol transfers provided for in RCW 9.41.110.
The copies and records shall not be disclosed except as provided in RCW 42.56.240(4).

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=42.56.240

RCW 42.56.240 - Investigative, law enforcement, and crime victims.

The following investigative, law enforcement, and crime victim information is exempt from public inspection and copying under this chapter:

(4) License applications under RCW 9.41.070; copies of license applications or information on the applications may be released to law enforcement or corrections agencies;

The ONLY topic in covered 9.41.070 is Concealed Pistol Licenses. It makes NO mention of the "State application to transfer pistol or revolver" so it seems to me that disclosing this info, even to law enforcement, is an express violation of state law.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

my kayak rolled in the middle of lake washington and i treaded water for a hour and a half and was almost to the other side when the sheriff stopped by to help me out. (they had a meeting directly across from me for about a hour. i saw them pull in) and my pistol wouldnt fall out of the holster.

stupid kayak wouldnt let me back in i think it was a liberal

amlevin

imported post

This is one issue I don't worry about. Every time I buy a gun it is de-facto registered. The good part is that the Government is so "fubar" that I seriously doubt any confiscation movement would even get off the ground. If it did I'm sure that there would be a few more "I sold them last year" or "they were stolen", or even "what guns" type answers.

I worry more about the government leaving me some of my "part time job" paycheck to be able to pay for ammo. The way things are going taxes will be over 50% of our pay (already are if your self employed) and we'll have to start selling guns to be able to pay rent or eat. (remember, if guns are made illegal there will always be the "Black Market).

oldkim

imported post

I'm not a historian but isn't this how it all started in England after WWII? Meaning how they got the way they did over there - with no guns for the public?

They started with getting all guns "registered" and then a few years go by and then they passed a law banning newguns and then a few more yearsgo by and then they started outlawing gunsso they started to collect all those "registered" guns since they knew exactlywhere they were.

Their is no mandated registeration of guns in Washington and I say that's a good thing. The record for the FFL is a mean to track guns at the point ofsales and is not a "registration" per se.

I would not voluntarily register any of my firearms.

amlevin

imported post

oldkim wrote:
I'm not a historian but isn't this how it all started in England after WWII? Meaning how they got the way they did over there - with no guns for the public?

They started with getting all guns "registered" and then a few years go by and then they passed a law banning newguns and then a few more yearsgo by and then they started outlawing gunsso they started to collect all those "registered" guns since they knew exactlywhere they were.

Their is no mandated registeration of guns in Washington and I say that's a good thing. The record for the FFL is a mean to track guns at the point ofsales and is not a "registration" per se.

I would not voluntarily register any of my firearms.

England is an entirely different country. What could happen their won't necessarily fly here. We kicked the King of England in the ass and formed our own country over 200 years ago. The "English" are still under a Monarchy even though they are rulled by Parliament. In England there is no "right" to own firearms. In this country it is spelled out in the Bill of Rights.

If confiscation actually came about in this country I'm afraid that the Government agents would getmany guns one piece at a time. Bullets first.