Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying and OC'ing a silencer

Post imported post

I would like to have a PM conversation with anyone who has bought/owned a silencer in Virginia, and especially with anyone who has ever carried a silencer-equipped pistol OC. Thanks.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

I develop a strange twitch everytime I see a H & K tactical 40 cal.

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I would love to go plinking with that. No uncomfortable ear plugs to wear.

- D

Post imported post

It'd be nice for that racoon that keeps using my deck as a toilet, too.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Looks like a fun thing to plink with, but to carry?
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

would probably scare the crap out of the public.

whether that's good or bad, that's up to you

just be sure to have a CHP.

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    snip.....
    Why?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    nova wrote:
    snip.....
    Why?

Yata hey
    In order to OC with a threaded barrel you have to have a CHP, similar to the 20 round magazine limit or whatever that is.

I guess if the suppressor was integrated that wouldn't be a problem?

Post imported post

Crash7795 wrote:
    I would like to have a PM conversation with anyone who has bought/owned a silencer in Virginia, and especially with anyone who has ever carried a silencer-equipped pistol OC. Thanks.
    Do you mean carrying a silencer-equipped pistol for self-defense?

Post imported post

curtiswr wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    nova wrote:
    snip.....
    Why?

Yata hey
    In order to OC with a threaded barrel you have to have a CHP, similar to the 20 round magazine limit or whatever that is.

Only true in certain cities: the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

Perfectly legal in other cities or counties i.e. Chesterfield Co. I will look up the code and edit it in here.

Edit to include: Code of Va. § 18.2-287.4.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-287.4

Yata hey

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    curtiswr wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    nova wrote:
    snip.....
    Why?

Yata hey

Only true in certain cities: the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

Perfectly legal in other cities or counties i.e. Chesterfield Co. I will look up the code and edit it in here.

Yata hey
    That's how I thought it was but was too lazy to actually look it up.

So when you getting your tax stamp and suppressor, GS?

:celebrate

Post imported post

curtiswr wrote:
    So when you getting your tax stamp and suppressor, GS?

:celebrate
    May have to start with just a threaded barrel.
    Less of an initial cash outlay, you know.

The difference between men and boys is just the price of their toys.
    My offspring is busy rubbing his hands with glee.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Crash7795 wrote:
    If this is a theoretical discussion, I understand, but I hope that you are not seriously considering this. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should. The suppressor (not silencer) doubles the length of your gun. This presents problems like drawing from a holster (if you can find one), sitting, etc. Second, you can't use your sights, because the suppressors for any decent caliber (9mm plus) are fairly chunky. No way around that. Third, and most importantly, it seems to me that suppressors and self defense do not go together very well in most cases. Yes, I can think of scenarios (hostage or active shooter situations with multiple bad guys, for example) where there would be a tactical advantage to having one, but not on your gun OC style. It may make a good addition to your go bag in your trunk or your bug-out bag at home, but not on your gun walking around. I can't think of a single IMMEDIATE action response scenario that would tactically benefit from a suppressor. Just my humble opinion.

Maybe you should look into one of these.

world.guns.ru/handguns/hg24-e.htm

Of course, I am just kidding, since only a few thousand were ever made, no samples of this gun are in the U.S. (as far as we know), and there are probably lots of laws why you can't have one anyway.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    curtiswr wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    nova wrote:
    snip.....
    Why?

Yata hey

Yata hey
    you are correct...but look at where the OP's location is.

thanks for posting the code, I've been looking for it for awhile now.

Post imported post

gis wrote:
    I can't think of a single IMMEDIATE action response scenario that would tactically benefit from a suppressor. Just my humble opinion.
    So, you believe that not being deafened by your own gun isn't a tactical benefit?

Don't get me wrong, I can't imagine how I would conveniently carry, openly or concealed, a pistol with a suppressor, but it seems pretty obvious to me that there's a benefit from carrying a suppressed firearm. The benefits may not outweigh the detriments, but the benefits are undeniable, it seems to me.

~ Boyd

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    curtiswr wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    nova wrote:
    snip.....
    Why?

Yata hey

OP's location includes Virginia Beach, my reply was primarily in response to Curtiswr who is a Va. resident + this is the Virginia forum section.

Never intended to imply that I know the specific application to Maryland's restrictive laws. I can make an educated guess though.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    nova wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    curtiswr wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    nova wrote:
    snip.....
    Why?

Yata hey

OP's location includes Virginia Beach, my reply was primarily in response to Curtiswr who is a Va. resident + this is the Virginia forum section.

Never intended to imply that I know the specific application to Maryland's restrictive laws. I can make an educated guess though.

Yata hey
    ok gotcha.

Post imported post

TexasNative wrote:
    gis wrote:
    I can't think of a single IMMEDIATE action response scenario that would tactically benefit from a suppressor. Just my humble opinion.
    So, you believe that not being deafened by your own gun isn't a tactical benefit?

Don't get me wrong, I can't imagine how I would conveniently carry, openly or concealed, a pistol with a suppressor, but it seems pretty obvious to me that there's a benefit from carrying a suppressed firearm. The benefits may not outweigh the detriments, but the benefits are undeniable, it seems to me.

~ Boyd
    Auditory exclusion takes over in high adrenalin situations. I can attest to it first hand.

Post imported post

gis wrote:
    TexasNative wrote:
    gis wrote:

Auditory exclusion takes over in high adrenalin situations. I can attest to it first hand.
    Does auditory exclusion minimize or eliminate hearing damage?

gis? Hey, GIS!

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    gis wrote:
    TexasNative wrote:
    gis wrote:

Does auditory exclusion minimize or eliminate hearing damage?

gis? Hey, GIS!

I am not a doctor, but from what I understand, auditory exclusion doesn't prevent chronic hearing damage suffered through prolonged noise exposure. It temporarily prevents the transmission of your own gunshot noise from your ears to your brain and allows you to focus better on the threat at hand. It only works for short periods of time anyway, but you can barely hear your own shots.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

gis wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    gis wrote:
    TexasNative wrote:
    gis wrote:
    I am not a doctor, but from what I understand, auditory exclusion doesn't prevent chronic hearing damage suffered through prolonged noise exposure. It temporarily prevents the transmission of your own gunshot noise from your ears to your brain and allows you to focus better on the threat at hand. It only works for short periods of time anyway, but you can barely hear your own shots.
    Yeah....Kinda like reading Hank's posts.:P

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    gis wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    gis wrote:
    TexasNative wrote:
    gis wrote:
    Yeah....Kinda like reading Hank's posts.:P
    I can't hear/see a word he says - selective auditory and optical exclusion don't you know.

Yata hey

Yata hey

Post imported post

I've never owned a supressed weapon before, but I've shota few that belonged to other government agencies. The IRS used my range when I was stationed in Cape Cod, MA. They have supressed MP5's. They let me shoot a box of ammo through one. It was weird not having to use ear protection. The "clatter" of the bolt was pretty loud, though. You also have to remember to use sub-sonic ammo when using a supressed weapon, even though standard ammo will still have the noise supressed somewhat.

Most recently, I shot a supressed M4 with a Knight's supressor a couple years ago when I worked for my last employer. It supressed the sound of standard SS109 ammo a bit, but not completely. It was still loud enough to be heard a hundred yards away, but wasn't immediately recognizable as rifle fire. The first time I heard it, it was weird. That's about the only way to describe it.

I'm just a disabled veteran on a fixed income. I don't have a chance of being able to get a tax stamp for class 3 stuff, but it sure is fun having a friend or employer that uses them.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

gis wrote:
    you can't use your sights, because the suppressors for any decent caliber (9mm plus) are fairly chunky.

The H&K Socom addresses the sight issue andthere areafter market sights.
    When things go bump in the night.

Have to agree not practical for daily carry.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Is that a suppressor in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast