• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying and OC'ing a silencer

Crash7795

imported post

I would like to have a PM conversation with anyone who has bought/owned a silencer in Virginia, and especially with anyone who has ever carried a silencer-equipped pistol OC. Thanks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I develop a strange twitch everytime I see a H & K tactical 40 cal.

Yata hey

nova

imported post

would probably scare the crap out of the public.

whether that's good or bad, that's up to you :lol:

just be sure to have a CHP.

curtiswr

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
nova wrote:
snip.....
Why?

Yata hey
In order to OC with a threaded barrel you have to have a CHP, similar to the 20 round magazine limit or whatever that is.

I guess if the suppressor was integrated that wouldn't be a problem?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Crash7795 wrote:
I would like to have a PM conversation with anyone who has bought/owned a silencer in Virginia, and especially with anyone who has ever carried a silencer-equipped pistol OC. Thanks.
Do you mean carrying a silencer-equipped pistol for self-defense?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
nova wrote:
snip.....
Why?

Yata hey
In order to OC with a threaded barrel you have to have a CHP, similar to the 20 round magazine limit or whatever that is.

Only true in certain cities: the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

Perfectly legal in other cities or counties i.e. Chesterfield Co. I will look up the code and edit it in here.

Edit to include: Code of Va. § 18.2-287.4.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

Yata hey

curtiswr

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
curtiswr wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
nova wrote:
snip.....
Why?

Yata hey

Only true in certain cities: the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

Perfectly legal in other cities or counties i.e. Chesterfield Co. I will look up the code and edit it in here.

Yata hey
That's how I thought it was but was too lazy to actually look it up. :uhoh:

So when you getting your tax stamp and suppressor, GS? :D

:celebrate

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

curtiswr wrote:
So when you getting your tax stamp and suppressor, GS? :D

:celebrate
May have to start with just a threaded barrel.
Less of an initial cash outlay, you know.

The difference between men and boys is just the price of their toys.
My offspring is busy rubbing his hands with glee. :lol:

Yata hey

gis

imported post

Crash7795 wrote:
If this is a theoretical discussion, I understand, but I hope that you are not seriously considering this. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should. The suppressor (not silencer) doubles the length of your gun. This presents problems like drawing from a holster (if you can find one), sitting, etc. Second, you can't use your sights, because the suppressors for any decent caliber (9mm plus) are fairly chunky. No way around that. Third, and most importantly, it seems to me that suppressors and self defense do not go together very well in most cases. Yes, I can think of scenarios (hostage or active shooter situations with multiple bad guys, for example) where there would be a tactical advantage to having one, but not on your gun OC style. It may make a good addition to your go bag in your trunk or your bug-out bag at home, but not on your gun walking around. I can't think of a single IMMEDIATE action response scenario that would tactically benefit from a suppressor. Just my humble opinion.

Maybe you should look into one of these.

world.guns.ru/handguns/hg24-e.htm

Of course, I am just kidding, since only a few thousand were ever made, no samples of this gun are in the U.S. (as far as we know), and there are probably lots of laws why you can't have one anyway. :)

nova

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
curtiswr wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
nova wrote:
snip.....
Why?

Yata hey

Yata hey
you are correct...but look at where the OP's location is.

thanks for posting the code, I've been looking for it for awhile now.

TexasNative

imported post

gis wrote:
I can't think of a single IMMEDIATE action response scenario that would tactically benefit from a suppressor. Just my humble opinion.
So, you believe that not being deafened by your own gun isn't a tactical benefit?

Don't get me wrong, I can't imagine how I would conveniently carry, openly or concealed, a pistol with a suppressor, but it seems pretty obvious to me that there's a benefit from carrying a suppressed firearm. The benefits may not outweigh the detriments, but the benefits are undeniable, it seems to me.

~ Boyd

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

nova wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
curtiswr wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
nova wrote:
snip.....
Why?

Yata hey

OP's location includes Virginia Beach, my reply was primarily in response to Curtiswr who is a Va. resident + this is the Virginia forum section.

Never intended to imply that I know the specific application to Maryland's restrictive laws. I can make an educated guess though.

Yata hey

nova

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
nova wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
curtiswr wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
nova wrote:
snip.....
Why?

Yata hey

OP's location includes Virginia Beach, my reply was primarily in response to Curtiswr who is a Va. resident + this is the Virginia forum section.

Never intended to imply that I know the specific application to Maryland's restrictive laws. I can make an educated guess though.

Yata hey
ok gotcha. :cool:

gis

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
gis wrote:
I can't think of a single IMMEDIATE action response scenario that would tactically benefit from a suppressor. Just my humble opinion.
So, you believe that not being deafened by your own gun isn't a tactical benefit?

Don't get me wrong, I can't imagine how I would conveniently carry, openly or concealed, a pistol with a suppressor, but it seems pretty obvious to me that there's a benefit from carrying a suppressed firearm. The benefits may not outweigh the detriments, but the benefits are undeniable, it seems to me.

~ Boyd
Auditory exclusion takes over in high adrenalin situations. I can attest to it first hand.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

gis wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
gis wrote:

Auditory exclusion takes over in high adrenalin situations. I can attest to it first hand.
Does auditory exclusion minimize or eliminate hearing damage?

gis? Hey, GIS!

gis

imported post

HankT wrote:
gis wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
gis wrote:

Does auditory exclusion minimize or eliminate hearing damage?

gis? Hey, GIS!
I am not a doctor, but from what I understand, auditory exclusion doesn't prevent chronic hearing damage suffered through prolonged noise exposure. It temporarily prevents the transmission of your own gunshot noise from your ears to your brain and allows you to focus better on the threat at hand. It only works for short periods of time anyway, but you can barely hear your own shots.