• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying and OC'ing a silencer

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

gis wrote:
HankT wrote:
gis wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
gis wrote:
I am not a doctor, but from what I understand, auditory exclusion doesn't prevent chronic hearing damage suffered through prolonged noise exposure. It temporarily prevents the transmission of your own gunshot noise from your ears to your brain and allows you to focus better on the threat at hand. It only works for short periods of time anyway, but you can barely hear your own shots.
Yeah....Kinda like reading Hank's posts.:p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
gis wrote:
HankT wrote:
gis wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
gis wrote:
I am not a doctor, but from what I understand, auditory exclusion doesn't prevent chronic hearing damage suffered through prolonged noise exposure. It temporarily prevents the transmission of your own gunshot noise from your ears to your brain and allows you to focus better on the threat at hand. It only works for short periods of time anyway, but you can barely hear your own shots.
Yeah....Kinda like reading Hank's posts.:p
I can't hear/see a word he says - selective auditory and optical exclusion don't you know. :)

Yata hey

Yata hey

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I've never owned a supressed weapon before, but I've shota few that belonged to other government agencies. The IRS used my range when I was stationed in Cape Cod, MA. They have supressed MP5's. They let me shoot a box of ammo through one. It was weird not having to use ear protection. The "clatter" of the bolt was pretty loud, though. You also have to remember to use sub-sonic ammo when using a supressed weapon, even though standard ammo will still have the noise supressed somewhat.

Most recently, I shot a supressed M4 with a Knight's supressor a couple years ago when I worked for my last employer. It supressed the sound of standard SS109 ammo a bit, but not completely. It was still loud enough to be heard a hundred yards away, but wasn't immediately recognizable as rifle fire. The first time I heard it, it was weird. That's about the only way to describe it.

I'm just a disabled veteran on a fixed income. I don't have a chance of being able to get a tax stamp for class 3 stuff, but it sure is fun having a friend or employer that uses them:D.

Marco

imported post

gis wrote:
you can't use your sights, because the suppressors for any decent caliber (9mm plus) are fairly chunky.
I can't think of a single IMMEDIATE action response scenario that would tactically benefit from a suppressor. Just my humble opinion.
The H&K Socom addresses the sight issue andthere areafter market sights.
When things go bump in the night.

Have to agree not practical for daily carry.

TexasNative

imported post

gis wrote:
Auditory exclusion takes over in high adrenalin situations. I can attest to it first hand.
And I can attest to first-hand experience that while the high-stress situations affect you to where you don't notice the report at the time of the shot, the effects are nonetheless the same as if you weren't in a high-stress situation. Effects can include temporarily reduced hearing capability and ringing in the ears.

Again, if you're saying noise suppression provides no benefit, I'll have to disagree. First hand.

~ Boyd

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

gis wrote:
HankT wrote:
gis wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
Auditory exclusion takes over in high adrenalin situations. I can attest to it first hand.
Does auditory exclusion minimize or eliminate hearing damage?

gis? Hey, GIS!
I am not a doctor, but from what I understand, auditory exclusion doesn't prevent chronic hearing damage suffered through prolonged noise exposure.
Does auditory exclusion minimize or eliminate hearing damage attibutable to one-time high decibel exposure?

Tomahawk

imported post

HankT wrote:
gis wrote:
HankT wrote:
gis wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
Does auditory exclusion minimize or eliminate hearing damage?

gis? Hey, GIS!
I am not a doctor, but from what I understand, auditory exclusion doesn't prevent chronic hearing damage suffered through prolonged noise exposure.
Does auditory exclusion minimize or eliminate hearing damage attibutable to one-time high decibel exposure?

I doubt it. I'm not a doctor, I'm an engineer (Dammit Jim!) and my engineer's brain says the soundwaves are still hitting your eardrums whether you notice or not. Sounds like damage to me.

That said, it should take more than one round to cause noticable damage, unless you're in a confined space or something. I've been close to gun reports outdoors before with no ear protection and while all of them were loud, some of them were more painful then others, depending on the type of firearm and where I was positioned. I don't know if I have any ear damage from it, but I don't think my ears are bad for my age, considering I also used to spend lots of time around screaming jet engines.

I have friends who hunt with no ear protection, using high-powered rifles. They figure one or two shots a year won't hurt them much, and they want to be able to hear when they're stalking game. I don't think I buy that completely; some of the older guys have hearing problems, but hard to say if it's from guns or something else or just getting old.

One of them has a .30-06 bolt action rifle with a muzzle break on it. He once fired it without warning me first, and my left ear rang for a looong time. I'm fairly certain I took ear damage from that one shot. Muzzle breaks direct the noise back and to the sides. I'm also fairly certain he has damaged his own ears with that rifle, even though he is behind it, which is probably the least noisy place to be. That kind of boom is just too much. Even with earmuffs on it's still unpleasant.

I always use ear protection when I'm smart enbough to think ahead. But in a self-defense shooting you won't know to put on ears first, and you will likely not be using a suppressor. So it's your hearing or your life.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I spent 22 years in the service with almost 20 of it as a marksmanship instructor. I ALWAYS wore some sort of hearing protection, but I found out (too late) that in some situations, you should wear DOUBLE ear-pro. Plugs and muffs. When using an indoor or covered range, a high-powered rifle, machine guns (and larger caliber guns), you should use double protection. Shooting a .50 cal machine gun is a "whole body" experience. Its not as bad for the guy on the trigger, but for the loader (and anyone else not directly behind the gun) you feel the concussion with your whole body. Simple ear plugs don't do the trick.

nova

imported post

I shot a 115gr 9mm out of a 4.5" barrel with no ears, took a few seconds before I got my hearing back. The thing that "hurt" the most was the supersonic crack.

I make sure I wear hearing protection when at the range, I've been considering using both plugs and muffs for rifle shooting.

ETA: I'm sure the time I spend around machinery is worse for my ears over the long run due to prolonged exposure.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Machinery noises over long periods of time are bad news. The machinery that makes the 76mm cannon go "boom" is pretty loud, too. I used to work on that with little or no hearing protection because sometimes we needed to "hear" if there was a problem in certain components. I'm paying for it now... or should I say the VA is. They gave me the hearing aids I'm supposed to be wearing.

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gis wrote:
Crash7795 wrote:
I would like to have a PM conversation with anyone who has bought/owned a silencer in Virginia, and especially with anyone who has ever carried a silencer-equipped pistol OC. Thanks.
If this is a theoretical discussion, I understand, but I hope that you are not seriously considering this. <snip> Second, you can't use your sights, because the suppressors for any decent caliber (9mm plus) are fairly chunky. No way around that. <snip>

The H&K USP Tactical is designed with front and rear sights that exceed the height of the designated suppressors. The elevated sights come standard in plain black, but are available in night site configuration from H&K.

:dude:

ETA: Open Carry of a suppressed firearm is a bad idea (unwieldy, heavy & LEO magnet).

Infidel

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I spent 22 years in the service with almost 20 of it as a marksmanship instructor. I ALWAYS wore some sort of hearing protection, but I found out (too late) that in some situations, you should wear DOUBLE ear-pro. Plugs and muffs. When using an indoor or covered range, a high-powered rifle, machine guns (and larger caliber guns), you should use double protection. Shooting a .50 cal machine gun is a "whole body" experience. Its not as bad for the guy on the trigger, but for the loader (and anyone else not directly behind the gun) you feel the concussion with your whole body. Simple ear plugs don't do the trick.
Yes I too can attest to the concussion of the .50 caliber Ma 2. They are a blast, I would love to shoot again! Don't care for lugging it around though. And it would be outrageous to shoot with ammo prices now.