Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southside Open Carry Breakfast 8/29/09

Post imported post

If Richmond is to far for breakfast get together lets have some bacon and eggs at
    the Uptown Coffee Cafe in Victoria on Saturday, August 29th at 9:30 am

http://www.myspace.com/uptowncoffeecafe

Finally got the URL to work

Post imported post

I was looking at that place just yesterday while browsing on oldva.org and thought that it looked like a nice place. Looks better than the hipster, go-to-Ellwood's-Coffee-because-it's-cool-and-boosts-your-image-among-the-other-hipster-snob-noveau yuppy type coffee shops you find here in Richmond. I will try to make it but I can't make any guarantees as I would have to be back here by 3 PM and I would want to see other stuff in Victoria as well.

What's there to check out while there? I'd probably venture into Aylor Guns & Ammo as well.

Edit: Girlfriend said we could work it out and still be back by 3, so for now count the two of us in.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

curtiswr wrote:
    I was looking at that place just yesterday while browsing on oldva.org and thought that it looked like a nice place. Looks better than the hipster, go-to-Ellwood's-Coffee-because-it's-cool-and-boosts-your-image-among-the-other-hipster-snob-noveau yuppy type coffee shops you find here in Richmond. I will try to make it but I can't make any guarantees as I would have to be back here by 3 PM and I would want to see other stuff in Victoria as well.

What's there to check out while there? I'd probably venture into Aylor Guns & Ammo as well.

Edit: Girlfriend said we could work it out and still be back by 3, so for now count the two of us in.
    It's RURAL Curtis. Not much to check out unless you like the country. God was having a good day when he made the area.

As far as Victoria, the Western Auto a few doors down is an old time (For Real) store. Anything you need for rural life is there. I buy my chain saws there. I needed some huge metric bolts, grade 5 or better for the tractor. Sure enough, Janet had them in a old box in the back of the store.

AyLors is across the street and is a pretty good gun shop. A couple antique stores and a farmers market down the street.

OH...the Arrowhead Gun Club is about ten miles away. GREAT RANGES and good membership fees.

Post imported post

Just the drive is beautiful:

Post imported post

Sounds good. Sounds somewhat similar to what I grew up in, or tried to stay around when I was growing up.

Just ask Jessica how tired I'm getting of being in the city...

Post imported post

On the way back to the big city, stop off in Crewe and visit the RR Museum http://www.crewerailroadmuseum.org/

Post imported post

While your in crew, you'll drive by the largest and most ornate house I've ever seen. It's close to the RR museum.

You will be impressed:shock:

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Truck is back to 100%, digestive system too + have the week-end free to cavort - DoubleTap will be O/T. No reason to not be there and a lot of good ones to partake - see you Sat.

Range? Day passes avail? Have AR, as of yet unfired, that needs function check and sighting in.

Really nice pictures Don - travel log, Nat'l Geo quality.

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Maybe Frommer's too? :P

:celebrate

Also, where was the second photo taken exactly? Looks similar to Otter Lake/Creek area off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Looks somewhat similar to a photo I took at the spot I am talking about.

Post imported post

curtiswr wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Maybe Frommer's too? :P

Also, where was the second photo taken exactly? Looks similar to Otter Lake/Creek area off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Looks somewhat similar to a photo I took at the spot I am talking about.

It was taken on the Nottoway river.

Post imported post

I won't be able to make it this weekend, unfortunately. :? I'll have to take a detour when traveling home to Lynchburg sometime. It really looks like a nice place.

Post imported post

When you say "Southside", you need to clarify WHICH "Southside". When we think of Southside around here, it means Southside of Hampton Roads. I started reading the posts and couldn't figure out where "Victoria" was. I looked at Google Earth and found its a LONG ways from here. Its farther from Richmond to Victoria than it is from Richmond to Yorktown.

Looks like perty country out there, but I don't think I could make it out therefor just a day-trip.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    When you say "Southside", you need to clarify WHICH "Southside". When we think of Southside around here, it means Southside of Hampton Roads. I started reading the posts and couldn't figure out where "Victoria" was. I looked at Google Earth and found its a LONG ways from here. Its farther from Richmond to Victoria than it is from Richmond to Yorktown.

Looks like perty country out there, but I don't think I could make it out therefor just a day-trip.
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/30618.html

It's not a day trip. You'll have to stop and camp before you get back home, unless you want to travel through the forest after the sun goes down.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Thanks to skidmark mentioning this elsewhere I think I may come down from Lynchburg. It couldn't hurt me to get my but out of bed early on the weekend.

Post imported post

jmelvin wrote:
    Thanks to skidmark mentioning this elsewhere I think I may come down from Lynchburg. It couldn't hurt me to get my but out of bed early on the weekend.
    Yeah, sure! Blame me.

Be sure to introduce yourself. I'll buy the first cup of coffee.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

The owner of Aylor Gunshop is going to drop in and I talked to Jennifer (one of the owners of The Coffee Shop) is delighted to have us there.

Post imported post

Oh look at all the fun goings-on. I will try to figure out a way for us to get there. Do all my chores tomorrow, I reckon.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

curtiswr wrote:
    Oh look at all the fun goings-on. I will try to figure out a way for us to get there. Do all my chores tomorrow, I reckon.
    Is you is or is you ain't?

Guess we'll have to wait and found out.

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Don't yall like surprises?

I wanna come to show off my puuuurdy 1911 (and for any reasons mentioned above). :P

Post imported post

Looks like it is going to be a PARTY in beutiful Downtown Victoria, have several from the VGOF said they might attend.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I just got back to Lynchburg about 15 minutes ago. The drive was nice, the company was good and the food was very tasty! Met some new folk and pretty much enjoyed the morning. Thanks for setting this up Dragonfly, it was nice to meet you. Thanks to the Uptown Coffee Cafe for having us, I'll gladly return.

Post imported post

Sorry I missed it; sounds like it was a good place. I spent my morning running around Richmond instead. :X

But I can always show off my 1911 here:

Post imported post

I have to second with jmelvin. The food was exceptional and the company enjoyable as always. Afterwards we all went over to AyLOR Guns & Ammo Store across the street and I picked up a few things, nice place to shop and the prices are reasonable.

Post imported post

I really enjoyed today. I'm beat and hot....but the Breakfast was great!

Got to meet new people, eat in Gods Country and had old friends show up to boot.

The U[town Cafe which is owned by a Chesterfield Firefighter and his wife and their families are old hands at town politics. One being on town council, are wonderful people. Their work shows and the food and service is great.

People started gathering right on time and we got a table.

As we got more people, we joined another table. Skidmark and Grapeshot showed up and the party began.

The lady on the right corner is the owner of AyLors Gunshop across the street. She of course, got a "Guns Save Lives" pin.

Now there's an interesting twist. There was another group there. The Red Hat Society. These ladies are on the ball. They had a mission today and were having fun doing it

If saslaw thinks patrons are afraid of OC'ers, he should have seen this group. They were not one bit intimidated by any of us. I said Yes Mam and No Mam ....a lot

After we ate, most of us strolled over to AyLor's and Grapeshot spotted something in the window that got his blood stirring.:P

But all things come to an end. I went back to the farm where I stacked, stickered and strapped lumber for my knotty pine paneling

Post imported post

Good times, good conversation, great food, and a shopping spree, all within about 30 steps. Who could ask for more?

Aylor's gun shop is quite nice, except that there is no price of that trench gun in the window. It sure would cure on of the "wants" on my list. Prices on everything else looked to be decent, and what they do not carry can be ordered. The fact that they had VCDL application brochures out and asked for Open Carry Info cards to put out makes it an even better place. To top it off, the staff is not only friendly but knowlegable - now how did that happen?

The Western Auto had just about anything you could want except a driver's license for Indiana or Missouri (you probably had to have livedin either of those statesto understand that).

Glad we made the trip to innaugurate the OC breakfast tradition (it is going to be a fairly regular thing for you folks, right?) in the whatever-that-part-of-Virginia-is-called.

stay safe.

skidmark

----Allahpundit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast