• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Southside Open Carry Breakfast 8/29/09

curtiswr

imported post

I was looking at that place just yesterday while browsing on oldva.org and thought that it looked like a nice place. Looks better than the hipster, go-to-Ellwood's-Coffee-because-it's-cool-and-boosts-your-image-among-the-other-hipster-snob-noveau yuppy type coffee shops you find here in Richmond. I will try to make it but I can't make any guarantees as I would have to be back here by 3 PM and I would want to see other stuff in Victoria as well.

What's there to check out while there? I'd probably venture into Aylor Guns & Ammo as well.

Edit: Girlfriend said we could work it out and still be back by 3, so for now count the two of us in.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

curtiswr wrote:
I was looking at that place just yesterday while browsing on oldva.org and thought that it looked like a nice place. Looks better than the hipster, go-to-Ellwood's-Coffee-because-it's-cool-and-boosts-your-image-among-the-other-hipster-snob-noveau yuppy type coffee shops you find here in Richmond. I will try to make it but I can't make any guarantees as I would have to be back here by 3 PM and I would want to see other stuff in Victoria as well.

What's there to check out while there? I'd probably venture into Aylor Guns & Ammo as well.

Edit: Girlfriend said we could work it out and still be back by 3, so for now count the two of us in.
It's RURAL Curtis. Not much to check out unless you like the country. God was having a good day when he made the area.

As far as Victoria, the Western Auto a few doors down is an old time (For Real) store. Anything you need for rural life is there. I buy my chain saws there. I needed some huge metric bolts, grade 5 or better for the tractor. Sure enough, Janet had them in a old box in the back of the store.

AyLors is across the street and is a pretty good gun shop. A couple antique stores and a farmers market down the street.

OH...the Arrowhead Gun Club is about ten miles away. GREAT RANGES and good membership fees.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Just the drive is beautiful:

falls2.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

curtiswr

imported post

Sounds good. Sounds somewhat similar to what I grew up in, or tried to stay around when I was growing up.

Just ask Jessica how tired I'm getting of being in the city... :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

While your in crew, you'll drive by the largest and most ornate house I've ever seen. It's close to the RR museum.

You will be impressed:shock:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Truck is back to 100%, digestive system too + have the week-end free to cavort - DoubleTap will be O/T. No reason to not be there and a lot of good ones to partake - see you Sat.

Range? Day passes avail? Have AR, as of yet unfired, that needs function check and sighting in.

Really nice pictures Don - travel log, Nat'l Geo quality.

Yata hey

curtiswr

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Maybe Frommer's too? :p

:celebrate

Also, where was the second photo taken exactly? Looks similar to Otter Lake/Creek area off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Looks somewhat similar to a photo I took at the spot I am talking about.

IMG_1988.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Maybe Frommer's too? :p

:celebrate

Also, where was the second photo taken exactly? Looks similar to Otter Lake/Creek area off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Looks somewhat similar to a photo I took at the spot I am talking about.

IMG_1988.jpg
It was taken on the Nottoway river.

curtiswr

imported post

I won't be able to make it this weekend, unfortunately. :? I'll have to take a detour when traveling home to Lynchburg sometime. It really looks like a nice place.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

When you say "Southside", you need to clarify WHICH "Southside". When we think of Southside around here, it means Southside of Hampton Roads. I started reading the posts and couldn't figure out where "Victoria" was. I looked at Google Earth and found its a LONG ways from here. Its farther from Richmond to Victoria than it is from Richmond to Yorktown.

Looks like perty country out there, but I don't think I could make it out therefor just a day-trip.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
When you say "Southside", you need to clarify WHICH "Southside". When we think of Southside around here, it means Southside of Hampton Roads. I started reading the posts and couldn't figure out where "Victoria" was. I looked at Google Earth and found its a LONG ways from here. Its farther from Richmond to Victoria than it is from Richmond to Yorktown.

Looks like perty country out there, but I don't think I could make it out therefor just a day-trip.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/30618.html

It's not a day trip. You'll have to stop and camp before you get back home, unless you want to travel through the forest after the sun goes down.:lol:

stay safe.

skidmark

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks to skidmark mentioning this elsewhere I think I may come down from Lynchburg. It couldn't hurt me to get my but out of bed early on the weekend. :)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Thanks to skidmark mentioning this elsewhere I think I may come down from Lynchburg. It couldn't hurt me to get my but out of bed early on the weekend. :)

Yeah, sure! Blame me.

Be sure to introduce yourself. I'll buy the first cup of coffee.

stay safe.

skidmark

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The owner of Aylor Gunshop is going to drop in and I talked to Jennifer (one of the owners of The Coffee Shop) is delighted to have us there.

curtiswr

imported post

Oh look at all the fun goings-on. I will try to figure out a way for us to get there. Do all my chores tomorrow, I reckon.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Oh look at all the fun goings-on. I will try to figure out a way for us to get there. Do all my chores tomorrow, I reckon.
Is you is or is you ain't?

Guess we'll have to wait and found out. :D

Yata hey

curtiswr

imported post

Don't yall like surprises? :lol:

I wanna come to show off my puuuurdy 1911 (and for any reasons mentioned above). :p