• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Southside Open Carry Breakfast 8/29/09

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just got back to Lynchburg about 15 minutes ago. The drive was nice, the company was good and the food was very tasty! Met some new folk and pretty much enjoyed the morning. Thanks for setting this up Dragonfly, it was nice to meet you. Thanks to the Uptown Coffee Cafe for having us, I'll gladly return. :)

curtiswr

imported post

Sorry I missed it; sounds like it was a good place. I spent my morning running around Richmond instead. :X

But I can always show off my 1911 here:

IMG_1373.jpg

:celebrate

Dragonfly

imported post

I have to second with jmelvin. The food was exceptional and the company enjoyable as always. Afterwards we all went over to AyLOR Guns & Ammo Store across the street and I picked up a few things, nice place to shop and the prices are reasonable.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I really enjoyed today. I'm beat and hot....but the Breakfast was great!

Got to meet new people, eat in Gods Country and had old friends show up to boot.

The U[town Cafe which is owned by a Chesterfield Firefighter and his wife and their families are old hands at town politics. One being on town council, are wonderful people. Their work shows and the food and service is great.

admin.php
oc9.jpg

People started gathering right on time and we got a table.

oc1.jpg

oc2.jpg

As we got more people, we joined another table. Skidmark and Grapeshot showed up and the party began.

The lady on the right corner is the owner of AyLors Gunshop across the street. She of course, got a "Guns Save Lives" pin.

oc3.jpg

oc4.jpg

Now there's an interesting twist. There was another group there. The Red Hat Society. These ladies are on the ball. They had a mission today and were having fun doing it:lol:

If saslaw thinks patrons are afraid of OC'ers, he should have seen this group. They were not one bit intimidated by any of us. I said Yes Mam and No Mam ....a lot:lol:

oc6.jpg

After we ate, most of us strolled over to AyLor's and Grapeshot spotted something in the window that got his blood stirring.:p

oc7.jpg

But all things come to an end. I went back to the farm where I stacked, stickered and strapped lumber for my knotty pine paneling

oc8.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Good times, good conversation, great food, and a shopping spree, all within about 30 steps. Who could ask for more?

Aylor's gun shop is quite nice, except that there is no price of that trench gun in the window. It sure would cure on of the "wants" on my list. Prices on everything else looked to be decent, and what they do not carry can be ordered. The fact that they had VCDL application brochures out and asked for Open Carry Info cards to put out makes it an even better place. To top it off, the staff is not only friendly but knowlegable - now how did that happen? :D

The Western Auto had just about anything you could want except a driver's license for Indiana or Missouri (you probably had to have livedin either of those statesto understand that).

Glad we made the trip to innaugurate the OC breakfast tradition (it is going to be a fairly regular thing for you folks, right?) in the whatever-that-part-of-Virginia-is-called.

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Fantastic breakfast! Best I've had in years - eggs were perfect and real home fries. I'll be back again now that I know where and what the Uptown Cafe is. Really good people too.

AyLors Gun Shop is without a doubt the best little gun shop in Virginia. That toy I was looking at in the window was a heat shield for an M1 carbine.

Curtis - Nice looking 1911 - is that #3?

Don - love pine paneling. Looks like you've got enough to several rooms.
I've only one room in pine, but it is my private sanctuary - that darn flush door is the last one that I need to change out to a six panel.

Yata hey

curtiswr

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

No sir! Number one! It's the first 1911 I ever had but ended up trading. The guy I originally traded it to did a lot of work to it and had work done to it and was very, very, very kind to trade it back to me.

Very happy to have it back and definitely won't make the mistake of getting rid of it this go around. :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

No sir! Number one! It's the first 1911 I ever had but ended up trading. The guy I originally traded it to did a lot of work to it and had work done to it and was very, very, very kind to trade it back to me.

Very happy to have it back and definitely won't make the mistake of getting rid of it this go around. :)

Mighty good looking gun Curtis!:cool:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Wonderful stories and photos, folks. Thank you for sharing! On that lovely pine paneling: Be very careful to avoid fire. That stuff goes up FAST and burns very hot. Mylimited experience withit was pulling an elderly couple out of their fully-engulfed home in Va Beach almost 20 years ago. That room was HOT HOT HOT! I remember seeing the beautiful wood paneling on the walls and ceiling with lots of flames coming from it. I've had lots of friends with knotty pine wall paneling and it truly is beautiful. It provides a warm feeling throughout a home.

I'll come out there for a breakfast next time if I can. Of course I'd have to leave here at o-dark thirty to get there...

Semper Paratus

msc