• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possible fix for long CFP wait time

thx997303

imported post

I sent in my application for a concealed permit yesterday, to Virginia.

During my dealings with the VA state police, I had asked about their law requiring issuance within 45 days.

They said what keeps them within the law is that if the permit is not issued within the time limit, then a default permit is issued. This of course may lead to some who should not be approved slipping through the cracks, and then they would be in some trouble.

Maybe this is something we should push for in Utah?

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Sigh I have to get a Nevada Permit now. Gurrrrrr so I can continue doing private work in Nevada

Wish it would go back to Accepting Utah's

Bennelli

imported post

I just visited some in-laws in Clark County, did not open carry but had my Firearm in a lock box in my car:banghead:

I put it unloaded in my suitcase out of the box, from my car into the hotel and into my room. Legal or not I did CC for about 200'

:celebrate

mqondo

imported post

thx997303 wrote:

During my dealings with the VA state police, I had asked about their law requiring issuance within 45 days.

They said what keeps them within the law is that if the permit is not issued within the time limit, then a default permit is issued. This of course may lead to some who should not be approved slipping through the cracks, and then they would be in some trouble.

It might work. I think they should just hire some more people to take care of it all, personally. Tell the newcomers that it is just going to be until they can catch up with all the demand, which could be a few months, to a few years..... I don't doubt that they have the money to do so. I wouldn't mind going to help in the evenings or weekends (if they were open) if the pay was decent. Wonder if they allow employees to OC.....

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

mqondo wrote:
I wouldn't mind going to help in the evenings or weekends (if they were open) if the pay was decent. Wonder if they allow employees to OC.....
They are a State Entity, and do not get to decide how their employees carry.

I still say that if we decriminalize concealed carry in Utah, then they wouldn't need to worry about about these dumb permits.

mqondo

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
mqondo wrote:
I wouldn't mind going to help in the evenings or weekends (if they were open) if the pay was decent. Wonder if they allow employees to OC.....

I still say that if we decriminalize concealed carry in Utah, then they wouldn't need to worry about about these dumb permits.
True, that would also save us a few bucks, having to get the permits, and renew every 5 years.

mqondo

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
mqondo wrote:

True, that would also save us a few bucks, having to get the permits, and renew every 5 years.

thx997303

imported post

I do agree SGT Jensen, but maybe this for a start.

I wonder what would be the best way to go about getting alaska carry.

ichigo

imported post

One bite at a time. It would be niceto haveAlaska carry. This may sound a little insincere but Iam forsmaller government so lets let the computers do the work and lower the government employees. Computers are faster than the living anyway.Another way toturn carry laws toward Alaska's is to keep voting people in office thatare interested in following the constitution.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

ichigo wrote:
Another way toturn carry laws toward Alaska's is to keep voting people in office thatare interested in following the constitution.
I feel like we already have the legislature necessary to enact an Alaska style carry, it is the citizens of Utah I fear will be the hurdle. Especially the libtards in Salt Lake County. :p We have been making great progress one law at a time, and if we can get the loaded prohibition completely out of the way, perhaps decriminalizing concealed carry will be next.

It can't hurt to call or write your Senator or Representative, and encourage then to Author, Co-Sponsor, or otherwise support legislation to further enhance the freedoms of Utahans. They get calls all the time from people who want to outlaw activities, let them hear from the freedom loving citizens for a change. :D

ichigo

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
ichigo wrote:
Another way toturn carry laws toward Alaska's is to keep voting people in office thatare interested in following the constitution.

...It can't hurt to call or write your Senator or Representative, and encourage then to Author, Co-Sponsor, or otherwise support legislation to further enhance the freedoms of Utahans. They get calls all the time from people who want to outlaw activities, let them hear from the freedom loving citizens for a change. :D
It will be the first one I write. It is alsothe first thing I'm that passionate about. Thanks.

rpyne

imported post

I think a good next nibble would be to get 76-3-203.2(1)(a) (ii), (iii), (iv) and (v) repealed.

76-3-203.2. Definitions -- Use of dangerous weapon in offenses committed on or about school premises -- Enhanced penalties.
(1) (a) As used in this section and Section 76-10-505.5, "on or about school premises" means any of the following:
(i) in a public or private elementary, secondary, or on the grounds of any of those schools;
(ii) in a public or private vocational school or postsecondary institution or on the grounds of any of those schools or institutions;
(iii) in those portions of any building, park, stadium, or other structure or grounds which are, at the time of the act, being used for an activity sponsored by or through a school or institution under Subsections (1)(a)(i) and (ii);
(iv) in or on the grounds of a preschool or child-care facility; and
(v) within 1,000 feet of any structure, facility, or grounds included in Subsections (1)(a)(i), (ii), (iii), and (iv).
While I would like to see the whole school restriction repealed, I think we would be more successful taking it a piece at a time.

Outsider

imported post

thx997303 wrote:

If there is even a slight chance that a REAL criminal could be issued a concealed firearm permit through a "default permit" I'm against it. I'm not willing to compromise concealed firearm permits just to get them out faster.

By law the State of Utah has 60 days to issue a permit. They need to have enough money to hire employees to get them pushed through correctly and not issued to criminals and are issued to law-biding citizens.

Outsider

imported post

rpyne wrote:
I think a good next nibble would be to get 76-3-203.2(1)(a) (ii), (iii), (iv) and (v) repealed.

76-3-203.2. Definitions -- Use of dangerous weapon in offenses committed on or about school premises -- Enhanced penalties.
(1) (a) As used in this section and Section 76-10-505.5, "on or about school premises" means any of the following:
(i) in a public or private elementary, secondary, or on the grounds of any of those schools;
(ii) in a public or private vocational school or postsecondary institution or on the grounds of any of those schools or institutions;
(iii) in those portions of any building, park, stadium, or other structure or grounds which are, at the time of the act, being used for an activity sponsored by or through a school or institution under Subsections (1)(a)(i) and (ii);
(iv) in or on the grounds of a preschool or child-care facility; and
(v) within 1,000 feet of any structure, facility, or grounds included in Subsections (1)(a)(i), (ii), (iii), and (iv).
While I would like to see the whole school restriction repealed, I think we would be more successful taking it a piece at a time.
Got to get the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act repealed first and then we can hack at that one on the Utah Code. Couldn't we (Utah) opt-out of the Federal GFSZA?

rpyne

imported post

Outsider wrote:
Got to get the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act repealed first and then we can hack at that one on the Utah Code. Couldn't we (Utah) opt-out of the Federal GFSZA?
Yes, but the Federal GFSZA only applies to primary and secondary schools, not colleges, vocational schools, pre-schools, day-care, etc.

We could pass a law like Montana did that declares that for the purpose of the FGFSZA, all are considered having a permit.

45-8-360. Establishment of individual licensure. In consideration that the right to keep and bear arms is protected and reserved to the people in Article II, section 12, of the Montana constitution, a person who has not been convicted of a violent, felony crime and who is lawfully able to own or to possess a firearm under the Montana constitution is considered to be individually licensed and verified by the state of Montana within the meaning of the provisions regarding individual licensure and verification in the federal Gun-Free School Zones Act.

Edit: Added Montana comment and code.

thx997303

imported post

Outsider, you and I both know that not a single criminal will fall through the cracks, that is merely the catalyst to get the employees to move.

They(felons) have guns, and they will continue too, illegally.