• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Handgun

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

So I just purchased my first handgun and I'm pretty unclear on a lot of the laws.

First off I paid for it and can't pick it up for a few days while they do a background check then they'll call me to come get it.

Monday I'm going to go into my local court offices and apply for a CCP? I believe, concealed carry permit.

While I'm waiting for my permit to clear can I store the gun in it's box unloaded in the trunk of my car or is that considered concealed?

I bought a Ruger SR-9, What accessories should I get? :D:D

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

0V3RC10CK3D wrote:
So I just purchased my first handgun and I'm pretty unclear on a lot of the laws.

First off I paid for it and can't pick it up for a few days while they do a background check then they'll call me to come get it.

Monday I'm going to go into my local court offices and apply for a CCP? I believe, concealed carry permit.

While I'm waiting for my permit to clear can I store the gun in it's box unloaded in the trunk of my car or is that considered concealed?

I bought a Ruger SR-9, What accessories should I get? :D:D
The background check happens in just a few minutes... the wait is just a mandatory pain in the butt that the anti-gunners convinced our lawmakers to pass to annoy and inconvienience lawful gun owners. It does nothing to stop bad guys from getting guns and doing bad things with those guns.

antispam540

imported post

Since when has there been a waiting period in WA? I bought a shotgun a year or so ago with no waiting period, just the 5 minute background check.

Also, yes, you can keep the gun unloaded in your car - just remember it has to be locked up if you leave the car.

Take a look at the washington gun rights pamphlet (just search the forums for it) - it should answer a lot of your questions.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
Since when has there been a waiting period in WA? I bought a shotgun a year or so ago with no waiting period, just the 5 minute background check.

Also, yes, you can keep the gun unloaded in your car - just remember it has to be locked up if you leave the car.

Take a look at the washington gun rights pamphlet (just search the forums for it) - it should answer a lot of your questions.
Unless you have a CPL, it's mandatory for hand gun.

If you decide to open carry which you can do while waiting for you CPL, just don't put one in the chamber and wear a serpa type holster, so that you can discretely remove your magazine as you are getting into your car. If you decide to leave it in your car it doesn't have to be in your trunk, and spying crooks might see you putting something in your trunk and decide to rob your car.

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

So as long as it's unloaded it doesn't necessarily have to be in the trunk, in a case?

What is unloaded? Does the magazine have to be empty? Does it have to be stored in a separate location from the handgun if it's not? Can you have an empty magazine in the gun?

If it's unloaded in my glovebox locked, is that considered concealed?

I've been reading through the pamphlet and a few things I must just not understand correctly.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

You've got a few days on your hands so might I suggest some reading, specifically RCW section 9.41 in it's entirety (Google RCW 9.41).

The basics:
- Open Carry legal, no permit needed. Some areas are restricted.
- Concealed Carry illegal unless you have CPL and even then some restrictions.
- No loaded handguns in vehicles (including buses) open or concealed, unless you have CPL
- Unloaded guns in vehicle must be concealed from view in an opaque case or secure wrapper and locked within the vehicle when it is not attended. Does not need to be locked (unless unattended), in trunk or separated from ammo.
-A gun is loaded if any ammo is physically in the gun. Whether a round is chambered or not.
- A magazine is not a gun, you can keep them loaded and carry all you want, no restrictions on carrying ammo
- State law preempts local laws.

Washington has had a waiting period for quite some time on handguns, but not long guns. On the bright side, once you get your CPL (Concealed Pistol License) handguns will be "cash and carry" as well (assuming you pass the NICS check)

Welcome to the club!

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

The gun loose in the glove box might be considered concealed.

You are exempt from the rules on carrying concealed, it if you are "...carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper" (RCW 9.41.060)

Think gun case, manufacturers box, padded zippered gun rug, etc.

Feel free to carry loaded magazines, they are not a firearm. The gun becomes loaded once a round is physically within the gun. Loaded magazine in gun=loaded even if it has the wrong caliber ammo and the mag is hammered in upside down and backwards.

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

So if the gun is in the case it comes in, with a padlock on it, then can the case just be behind the seat? When they say locked in the car....well my doors are locked. And given my car it's pretty hard to see in the backseats of a G35 Coupe

joeroket

imported post

0V3RC10CK3D wrote:
So if the gun is in the case it comes in, with a padlock on it, then can the case just be behind the seat? When they say locked in the car....well my doors are locked.  And given my car it's pretty hard to see in the backseats of a G35 Coupe

No. It must be concealed from view from the outside. If you left it on the back seat and I could see it at all then you are in violation.

Also the law does not say it must be cased. The exemptions in 9.41.060 say you are exempt from 9.41.050 if it is in a case and unloaded.

shad0wfax

imported post

0V3RC10CK3D wrote:
Oh another question, I applied for my CPL today but i forgot to ask, how long is it good for?
CPLs are valid for 5 years. Make sure you renew it before it expires or you pay a penalty when you do renew.