• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Statement of constitutional rights

scorpio_vette

imported post

So I don't know if this is anything that would help here or not, but i figured i would post this and some of you more knowledgeable people could perhaps say yay or nay.

so during the last harley anniversary here in milwaukee, one of the motorcycle friendly law firms was passing out these business card size card to carry in your wallet incase you get pulled over or whatever and you are supposed to calmly and politely hand it to the officer without speaking (i'm bringing this up after somebody send me the youtube links in my introduction about "why you should never talk to cops, and i think this might apply to these situations on this forum)

On the card it says:

STATEMENT OF CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.

Officer, I mean no disrespect, but I understand my rights. I have the right to have an attorney present during questioning. I have a right to refuse to consent to any search of my body, and personal effects. I wish to exercise all my rights. If I am under arrest I wish to invoke and exercise my Miranda rights and be allowed the opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney. If I am to be taken into custody I request a reasonable opportunity to make arrangements to secure my own property. I do not consent to any impoundment of my property. If I am not under arrest, I want to leave. If I am free to leave, please tell me immediately so that I may go about my business.

I contacted the law firm and was able to get them to mail me out a small stack of these cards that i know carry on me and pass them out to friends. Perhaps it may be possible to for some of you to contact this law firm and get them to send some out to you guys if you believe these cards may be valuable to you.

hope this helps. if i'm way off course or incorrect, please delete this and correct me as i don't want to be passing incorrect information.

AaronS

imported post

This was an old card.

card.jpg

card2.jpg

Been thinking about calling them to see what the firm thinks about it all...

ayce2

imported post

Card is nice, but why wait? I put together my idea of what my card would say...stolen from smarter people than me on this forum.. Cut and paste and in a minute you can have it in your wallet. Comments or suggestions welcomed!

Officer, I mean no disrespect, but I understand my rights.

I have the right to have an attorney present during questioning.

I have a right to refuse to consent to any search of my body, and personal effects.

I wish to exercise those rights.

Am I under arrest?

If I am under arrest I wish to invoke and exercise my Miranda rights and be allowed the opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney. If I am to be taken into custody I request a reasonable opportunity to make arrangements to secure my own property. I do not consent to any impoundment of my property.

Am I being detained? Do you have a reasonable articulable suspicion that I have or am about to commit a crime?

Thank you. Having established through your own statements (Emphasize that line!), that I am NOT under arrest NOR being detained I am terminating this encounter and leaving immediately.

I leave you in peace, and bid you good day.