• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I being ridiculous?

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Well a bullet proof vest is a bit excessive, but if you really are worried
about his safety. I think it is in norway that they are making shirts
with kevlar weaved into the fabric. While not as good as a vest,
it is better than a t-shirt.
But at least in the south, much to hot for a vest everyday. Plus they
have a shelf life, so you need to replace them.

I figure after they take a bullet out of me I might buy a few of the shirts.
But with the odds in my favor of not needing it, I will use the money
for ammo for now.

ichigo

imported post

Keep in mind they are bullet resistant not bullet proof. It might be a good Idea to have a good honest open communication with him. If wearing body armor gives you a warm fuzzy and he is ok with it and it is in the budget, then it is good for the both of you. Marriage is about giving and taking. One of you have to give. I would suggest putting the kids to bed and having a one on one with him. List out the pros and cons. If the only pro is a warm fuzzy go on a walk with him in a busy area while he is carrying. Get a feel for his reactions. Get a feel for others reactions.See if he is nervous and jumpy. You will find it gets about the same amount of attentionasthe hottest new cell phone(very little).

Your husband seems like the kind of guy who would help out in any situation. If he didn't have his gun he would probably find the closest stick or bottle or rock. A gun doesn't make you more manly. Something to think about.

pinklady

imported post

Wow!!! Well thanks to all of you for your input (some of you more than others!). Being new to the site I thought there would be a little bit more kindness and maybe a welcome, never did I expect some of the rudeness that I received. But thanks so much for all of your input!

Utah_Patriot

imported post

I am sorry others were rude to you. This is a public forum so kind of unpredictable in the sense of what other might post.

I for one would like to welcome you and the husband to the forum. I would recommend to post often and have a good time.

Maybe one day you will OC along side your husband. Anyways hope you got the answer you wanted.

Thanks
Zachary
801-448-7574

thx997303

imported post

I believe, after a questionable laugh, he is expressing his desire for you to post often and read the forum.

You're presence here is a welcome one, we have many male members, and not so many female members, and you as well as the other female members will be able to give us males a females point of view.

This of course would be quite helpful on some situations.

Speaking of which, where have you been packingmama?

I don't believe I have seen you post since chillidogs and SGT Jensen were having their back and forth.

Probably busy with kids. So goes life.

chillidogs

imported post

I was not having a back and forth with Private jensen. I just told him how it is. He clearly got the point.

crossbreed

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
i disagree. it isnt ridiculous that she feels for his safety. granted, they are big, bulky and make you look funny, (not to mention cost) but i do understand that you worry for your husband. he is in really no danger while OCing, bad guys are chickens!
however if the lady requests that protection is worn then that is that. anything less is just not civilized.

thx997303

imported post

chillidogs wrote:
I was not having a back and forth with Private jensen.  I just told him how it is.  He clearly got the point.

I don't think that that is the case.

I personally believe he just got tired of you. In my experience with him, its highly likely.

ichigo

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
I believe, after a questionable laugh, he is expressing his desire for you to post often and read the forum.
Yes, yes, and yes. The laugh because a pet peeve of people first calling themselves sorry and second apologizing for someone they have never met or even care to meet. Why apologize for an abuser? Express your opinion and leave the responsibility to apologize to the offender. Pinklady, I am fairly new to posting in the forum but have been reading this and UCC in silence for over a year. I feel like I kind of know a good number of posters and welcome another female voice.

chillidogs

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
chillidogs wrote:
I was not having a back and forth with Private jensen. I just told him how it is. He clearly got the point.

I don't think that that is the case.

I personally believe he just got tired of you. In my experience with him, its highly likely.
ya, ok whatever. He got owned and he knows it. Its all good.

scorpioajr

imported post

pinklady wrote:
I think if my husband is going to open carry he should wear a bullet proof vest. Do you think I am being ridiculous or do you agree with me?
IMO its not a good or a bad idea - just sounds like a lot of gear on a hot day, ouch!

Pro's and Con's, people: Every idea has them. We can ALL see the obvious Pro, stopping bullets. So even if one doesn't carry a firearm, its still going to stop a bullet.

I think the better question would be to ask how often or what is the current ratio to people that carry guns and get shot at VS. the people that get shot who don't carry.

I'm all for statistics (depending on who is making them up): Like the article that was floating around here somewhere about "the guy with the most ammo in a fire fight MIGHT have the better chance" etc etc, some carry extra mags with them as a result of thinking such as or similar to this.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, if YOU want him in a vest when he carries a gun, then that is your prerogative as his wife. Like when I got my motorcycle, my wife said fine, but if I catch you without a helmet on, ever, the bike is gone. Little harsh, but i see her point. She will "allow" me to do something that , in her mind, is very dangerous... so long as I do the one thing for her and wear a helmet.

The idea tips pretty well on either side of wearing one or not. I hate to advertise that i don't, but I don't. I'd like to think that I carry a gun so that i don't have the need to wear one. If some maniac starts shooting i can defend myself, but im not run out Super Trooper style and start taking Kevlar hits if i had the vest either.....

Cops are a different story. They put themselves in that sort of danger every day, so that's why they wear theirs. Again, IMO.

My .02