• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bar-b-que Idea

jsimmons

imported post

We need to hi\old open carry bar-b-que events in major Texas cities, starting with Austin. Call it "Buns and Guns", and invite anyone who cares to attend. The price of admission would be $10 (for food and drink) and a gun on your hip.

We could invite the media and our state representatives. As long as it's held on private property, or even a shooting range, open-carry would be perfectly legal.

KBCraig

imported post

jsimmons wrote:
We could invite the media and our state representatives. As long as it's held on private property, or even a shooting range, open-carry would be perfectly legal.

No it would not.

You need to re-read PC 46.02 and 46.035, and see if you can find an exemption for being on private property, other than for the person who owns or controls the property.

There isn't one.

rodbender

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
jsimmons wrote:

No it would not.

You need to re-read PC 46.02 and 46.035, and see if you can find an exemption for being on private property, other than for the person who owns or controls the property.

There isn't one.
This is true. You can't even give permission for anyone to OC on your own property.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

rodbender wrote:
KBCraig wrote:

There isn't one.
This is true. You can't even give permission for anyone to OC on your own property.

Dman, Texas laws are sure weird.:shock:

You're allowed to shoot and killan unarmed thief in your driveway at night but you can't have a OC Bar-B-Que partyon your own property?

jsimmons

imported post

The way I remember reading it, you can open carry on personal property if you have permission of the property owner. I guess I'll have to go back and re-read it.

TehGruu

imported post

Well, maybe draw up a document that grants a shared ownership for everyone that attends? It could be written as such that they can't sell it and their ownership expires after the event is over.

-Gruu

KBCraig

imported post

jsimmons wrote:
The way I remember reading it, you can open carry on personal property if you have permission of the property owner. I guess I'll have to go back and re-read it.
Please do.

The only thing resembling a "with permission" exemption, is for someone who manages a bar.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Hows this for a loophole:
(IIRC) you are allowed to open carry for gun related activities such as hunting or a gun show! So would this not qualify as a 'gun related' activity?

The other exception is 'property you own or that is under your control' Which is what gives me permission to OC on the property that I rent... I don't own it, but it is 'under my control'. Also, when my neighbors go out of town and ask me to 'keep watch' over their property, does that not effectively put their property 'under my control'?

SO... If we were having a meeting to discuss/promote OC I believe that:
1) it would be a gun related activity, and
2) that the members of the 'club' would have de-facto 'control' of the property for the purposes of the event!

Furthermore, if no complaint by the property owner has been filed, there is not much that the police can do when on PRIVATE property...

TehGruu

imported post

Well, I'm in Waco so if anyone's seriously planning on an event like this I would be willing to make a 2 hours drive or so to attend.

-Gruu

SANDCREEK

imported post

"Control" over real property premises most certainly can be assigned. "Control" of any premises can be assignedas in a residential/commercial lease. A "day lease" of private property whereby the premises is placed under limited control of designated authorized parties for a specified purpose/eventduring a defined time period should adequately address any concerns .

The issue then becomes a civil matter subject to the terms of the lease agreement. This lease wouldnot have to be in writing, but the "lessee's" might prefer something in written form conveying "control" to avoid any confusion . The only potential problem I can foresee is if a resturaunt sectionwas merely reserved for the OC event- and other customers felt "threatened" by the armed nature of the event.

This is STILL TEXAS - not Washington D.C.

jsimmons

imported post

SANDCREEK wrote:
"Control" over real property premises most certainly can be assigned. "Control" of any premises can be assignedas in a residential/commercial lease. A "day lease" of private property whereby the premises is placed under limited control of designated authorized parties for a specified purpose/eventduring a defined time period should adequately address any concerns .

The issue then becomes a civil matter subject to the terms of the lease agreement. This lease wouldnot have to be in writing, but the "lessee's" might prefer something in written form conveying "control" to avoid any confusion . The only potential problem I can foresee is if a resturaunt sectionwas merely reserved for the OC event- and other customers felt "threatened" by the armed nature of the event.

This is STILL TEXAS - not Washington D.C.
I wasn't talking about using a restaraunt. I was talking about private property as in a residence or residentially zoned real property.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

Ever wonder how gun shop employees, not just the owner, can openly carry? I'm guessing that the below section is the answer. It would also be how we could have a open carry gathering and be legal: have it on rural property with a shooting area. We would be engaging in legal sporting activity on the immediate premises.

Text of subsection as reenacted by Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 647, Sec. 1

(b)Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:

(4)is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;

You generally don't have to go too far out into the country, sodrawing froma given metro area is still possible. ForAustin, as an example, youcould go to the east, south or west portion of Travis County and be outside ofcity limits pretty quickly. Given that many in Austin live in north Austin, I'm sure there are places in southern Williamson County too.

For D/FW, Ellis and Johnson counties to the south, Dentonto the north, and Parker and Wise to thewest offer opportunities. You could alsohold the gathering at an outdoorgun range in the mid-cities.

In addition tomembers here, I would invite local politicians and make it a fund raiser for them.Remember that weneed to convince even pro-gun office holders that open carry isn't radical and "back to the old West" (Sen. Duncan). Those that attend will get some $ but more importantly they will see that open carry folks arelaw abiding Texans. Most of us have CHLs andcarry concealed as it is. We simply want the convenience, choice, and yes our constitutional right to opencarry to be restored.

SA-TX

SANDCREEK

imported post

The RIGHT of "CONTROL" of any premises may be delegated through agency, assigned through an assignment, or conveyed by lease agreement.

The OZ'ies in Austin have never "thought" this issue through with the measure of precision some of us are applying .

jsimmons

imported post

SA-TX wrote:
Ever wonder how gun shop employees, not just the owner, can openly carry? I'm guessing that the below section is the answer. It would also be how we could have a open carry gathering and be legal: have it on rural property with a shooting area. We would be engaging in legal sporting activity on the immediate premises.

(4)is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;
I don't know if we'd want to do that (allow shooting) on rural property because of insurance implications. If it needed to be an official "event", maybe we could hold a gun-cleaning seminar. :)

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

jsimmons wrote:
SA-TX wrote:

I don't know if we'd want to do that (allow shooting) on rural property because of insurance implications. If it needed to be an official "event", maybe we could hold a gun-cleaning seminar. :)
Isn't that when all of the ND/AD's happen? ;) I doubt that a rural property owner who is a 2A friend will be concerned about insurances implications. I know I wouldn't be.

jsimmons

imported post

Well then, I suppose as long as we're following the law with regards to distance from a given structure or road, we're gold. :)

KBCraig

imported post

SA-TX wrote:
Ever wonder how gun shop employees, not just the owner, can openly carry? I'm guessing that the below section is the answer.
I'm pretty sure it's not.

We hashed a lot of that out over on that other forum (I guess I'm still banned; give my regards to Chas.).

The consensus seems to be that the only reason gun store employees aren't charged with UCW, is because "everyone knows it's okay". It's the same as carrying a handgun to a gun show hoping to sell it, or any other activity that doesn't meet one of the listed exemptions to 46.02 or 46.035.

There is case law that protects carrying a handgun home after purchase, or taking it in for repair or sale. Other than that, the only reason 46.02 isn't used more often, is because no one charges or prosecutes for the many possible technical violations.

Seriously, tell the old gang I said hello.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
SA-TX wrote:
Ever wonder how gun shop employees, not just the owner, can openly carry? I'm guessing that the below section is the answer.
I'm pretty sure it's not.

We hashed a lot of that out over on that other forum (I guess I'm still banned; give my regards to Chas.).

The consensus seems to be that the only reason gun store employees aren't charged with UCW, is because "everyone knows it's okay". It's the same as carrying a handgun to a gun show hoping to sell it, or any other activity that doesn't meet one of the listed exemptions to 46.02 or 46.035.

There is case law that protects carrying a handgun home after purchase, or taking it in for repair or sale. Other than that, the only reason 46.02 isn't used more often, is because no one charges or prosecutes for the many possible technical violations.

Seriously, tell the old gang I said hello.

I'm glad to know that DAs aren't charging folks for technical violations. That shows good common sense. With the MPA now on the books, the number of technical situations where a problem could occur is reduced.

As for gun stores, I'm guessing that a prosecution would fail not only because it wouldn't pass the "common sense" test with a jury but also because the employees probably "engage in ... lawful sporting activity" frequently. Sure, a strict reading wouldn't support carrying openly every minute of their working day when they aren't shooting or instructing all that time but this probably provides enough legal cover so that the "everyone knows it's okay" sentiment has set in. That goodness prosecutors have enough sense not to put anyone through that.

Next time I'm over there, I'll do so. :)

BACK ON TOPIC -- who's got some property outside the city limits in Austin, D/FW, Houston, etc. & wants to host an open carry get together?

rodbender

imported post

SA-TX wrote:
BACK ON TOPIC -- who's got some property outside the city limits in Austin, D/FW, Houston, etc. & wants to host an open carry get together?
See my post above. I have 5 acres and it is not in any city limit. It is Bastrop County.