• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bar-b-que Idea

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
jsimmons wrote:
We could invite the media and our state representatives. As long as it's held on private property, or even a shooting range, open-carry would be perfectly legal.

No it would not.

You need to re-read PC 46.02 and 46.035, and see if you can find an exemption for being on private property, other than for the person who owns or controls the property.

There isn't one.
We pointed this out to the legislature last year - and the world - Texas gun laws technically make it unlawful to open carry even if you are a dinner guest hoklding a permit to conceal and want to take your jacket off while you eat.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
jsimmons wrote:
We could invite the media and our state representatives. As long as it's held on private property, or even a shooting range, open-carry would be perfectly legal.

No it would not.

You need to re-read PC 46.02 and 46.035, and see if you can find an exemption for being on private property, other than for the person who owns or controls the property.

There isn't one.
We pointed this out to the legislature last year - and the world - Texas gun laws technically make it unlawful to open carry even if you are a dinner guest hoklding a permit to conceal and want to take your jacket off while you eat.
Thus why we are talking 'Assigned Control'.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
Mike wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
jsimmons wrote:

No it would not.

There isn't one.
Thus why we are talking 'Assigned Control'.

I doubt this would work, legally. Assuming an owner can "assign control", it is doubtful that he could "assign control" to everyone in attendance. Control seems to be a singlular thing: either YOU are in control, or someone else is.

Let's be practical about this: people, both owners and non-owners,shoot on rural land in Texas all the time. This frequently involves handguns as well as long ones. As long as the shooting is real, I can't imagine any law enforcement problems. If someone was to be arrested while taking a break from shooting and eating some BBQ, I think their chances with a rural jury are very good. Much better than by relying on any other argument.

I would invite your local state representative & senator. I would also invite the chairmen of key committees that hear gun legislation. If they decline to come, we know where they stand and/or who we need to better educate. I would also invite the local sheriff and constables. The local LEOs might not make the laws, but their thoughts about gun legislation can be important. Same thing for the local county attorney/district attorney.

Remember, these are all ELECTED politicians. They need support, both financial and political, for re-election. If we held these all over the state, very few legislators could go back to Austin next session without seeing a peaceful, law abiding gathering of folks open carrying. Just like elsewhere, once exposed to it, they'll find that it isn't the devil's work and turns out to be no big deal. :D

RodBender, Labor Day is coming up quickly. That's probably too soon for proper planning. How about something in late Sept or early October?

SA-TX

rodbender

imported post

SA-TX wrote:
RodBender, Labor Day is coming up quickly. That's probably too soon for proper planning. How about something in late Sept or early October?

SA-TX

I was thinking Labor Day, but it probably is to soon. Maybe the 10th of October. It's close to my birthday and we could call it a birthday party. No presents will be required or even accepted, so don't think you need to buy anything for me, unless it may be something of token value only, unless it's a Colt Commander 1911 (LOL). I'll pick up some stuff for a BBQ.

Lawyer says it looks OK, but he wants to check a few things before he says do it or not. Will let you know.

TehGruu

imported post

rodbender wrote:
SA-TX wrote:
BACK ON TOPIC -- who's got some property outside the city limits in Austin, D/FW, Houston, etc. & wants to host an open carry get together?
See my post above. I have 5 acres and it is not in any city limit. It is Bastrop County.

How far away are you from the Waco area? If you'll accept anyone, I'll be there with my Colt Commander. :cool:

-Gruu

rodbender

imported post

TehGruu wrote:
rodbender wrote:
SA-TX wrote:
BACK ON TOPIC -- who's got some property outside the city limits in Austin, D/FW, Houston, etc. & wants to host an open carry get together?
See my post above. I have 5 acres and it is not in any city limit. It is Bastrop County.

How far away are you from the Waco area? If you'll accept anyone, I'll be there with my Colt Commander. :cool:

-Gruu
Couple hours.

thx997303

imported post

So long as it's on a weekend, and the 1SG doesn't decide on a formation that weekend, I'm in.

I'm not too far off, in San Antonio.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

Put me down for probable. I've got a business trip that I leave for on Sunday, but I think I can swing it.

Getting OCDO folks there probably isn't going to be an issue. I think the more important -- and more difficult task -- is getting politicians there. As fun as the fellowship and shooting are, what we really need are members of the Legislature to attend. I think this needs to be a political fund raiser. We need to make contributions to make it worth their while. We need to educate them about all of the other states -- including generally anti ones like WI -- where open carry is perfectly legal. Finally and most importantly, they need to be comforted that open carry won't make Texas a more dangerous place. They need to reminded that criminals don't practice open carry.

If they are uncomfortable with unlicensed people carrying, we need to show them that the MPA gave Texas exactly that in cars and where has the trouble been? There hasn't been any. The bottom line is that Texans are every bit as trustworthy as the residents of the other 30 some gold star or anomolous states and if a politician is asked "Don't you trust law-abiding fellow Texans?", I suspect there will be few that will say no.

Thoughts?

SA-TX

CrossFire

imported post

If we are going to make it a political fundraiser how about Debra Medina? She would probably jump at the chance. She does have a good gun attitude and she does want to be governor.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

CrossFire wrote:
If we are going to make it a political fundraiser how about Debra Medina? She would probably jump at the chance. She does have a good gun attitude and she does want to be governor.

Agreed. Additionally, we should invite Governor Perry as well as Sen. Hutchison. I'm in favor of invitingALL elected politicians that have the ability to help or hurt OC for Texas.

Similarly,I think that TSRA should be made aware and invited to participate. I know there has been some bad blood between some at OCDO and TSRA, but I think we need to leave that in the past. If folks are strongly pro-2A, want to attend, contributeand speak their minds to the politicians but feel more comfortable concealing while they do it, I have no issue with this. We want to promote OC, but we shouldn't be too narrowly focused. Parking lot carry is important. College carry is important. Making fewer and fewer places off limits for CHL holders is important. We should reinforce our support for FULL 2A freedom in Texas and invite as many like- minded Texans to join us as we can.

All of these are simply suggestions and my opinions. I'm not the host nor the official organizer. :)

SA-TX

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

We need to be really careful how we approach inviting 'all' of the elected officials... It could be spun WAY the wrong way... Something like we are trying to bully/threaten them that we will act on the 2A etc etc etc... We can't be spun as a firing squad or attempting a coup...
While I agree to inviting the politicians out there (otherwise its nothing more than a handful of us meeting at the range..) we might want to get an actual lobbyist insider to help with this one...
+1000 for Debra Medina!!! I think we might be able to get her to 'sponsor' or 'keynote' the event if we approach it as a rally for her!

CrossFire

imported post

Question, doesn't Texas law require you to have at least 10 acres inorder to shoot guns? I believe I read that somewhere.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Question, doesn't Texas law require you to have at least 10 acres inorder to shoot guns? I believe I read that somewhere.

No but this is a confusing area of the law. I am not a lawyer, but here's how I read the Local Government Code. Reference source:Texas Local Government Code section 229 (municipalities) and section 235 for the exact wording of the statutes.

1) A city can regulate the discharge of firearms completely on land that was within its borders on Sept 1, 1981.

2) On land annexed after Sept 1, 1981 and in the extra-territorial jurisdiction (ETJ -- basically a border/buffer areaaround itself where it exercises some but not full control)of a municipality, the city can only regulate the discharge as follows: a) shotgun, air soft pistol & rifle, BB gun, bow & arrow, less than 10 acres. b) Everything else, less than 50 acres.

A county has much lessauthority. A county can only regulate discharge of firearms for subdivisions for which a plat is required. So, if you live in a country "ranchette" type neighborhood where people have 1 acre, 2 acre, 5 acre home sites but are still organized as a subdivision, the county can regulate the discharge on property that is 10 acres or smaller.

Property that is in unincorporate areas (not a city or the ETJ or one) and that are not in a platted subdivision CANNOT be regulated.

SA-TX

rodbender

imported post

OK, guys and gals. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but as I was checking everything out I discovered a kink. I have 4.973 acres, The county of Bastrop has restricted discharge of firearms to 5 acres or larger (I thought it was 2 acres). OUCH, that hurt. So needless to say there can be no discharge of firearms.

Good news is the BBQ will go on. Open carry style if you still want to come.

Oct. 10, discussion of time is to begin now. I live about 7 miles south of Elgin, Texas.

Generally, about 2-2.5 hours from San Antonio, about 2.5-3 hours from Houston, about 2 hours from Waco or Bryan-College Station, about 4 hours from DFW.

PM me with RSVP so I'll know how much grub to buy.

There will be a few rules, very few. I'll post them a little later.

Ok, folks, what time do you want this shindig to start?