• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Second Amendment friendly legal help

rebel-patriot

imported post

Are there any attorneys here that work on 2A issues? If not, does anyone have any recommendations for the Tampa area?

My question is this... and sorry for it being so lengthy.

Florida statutes say the following:
790.001 (6) defines 'Firearm'.... The term 'firearm' does not include an antique firearm unless the antique firearm is used in the commission of a a crime.

And 790.001 (1) defines 'Antique Firearm', it says "'Antique firearm' means any firearm manufactured in or before 1918 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar early type of ignition system) or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1918, and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1918, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in ordinary channels of commercial trade."
(copied from a post by OC4ME, thank you).

So if I am reading this correctly, I can open carry a replica of a Army revolver cap and ball legally. Want to get legal opinion on this and line up some help if it becomes necessary.

Maybe a good launch to a group would be to organize an OC event around this and have some speakers and education information to hand out?

Opinions, ideas, constructive criticisms welcome.

Reb

GIdeon_70

imported post

Contace the NRA ILA and they will give you the names of some atty's in your area that are gun advocates.

mbpe912

imported post

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/

Jon H. Gutmacher is a Florida criminal lawyer with over 25 years of criminal trial experience in the State of Florida, and has tried well over one hundred jury trials, including first degree murder. His office is located in Orlando, and he concentrates his practice primarily in the Central Florida area, including federal cases involving firearm and weapon offenses. Although he handles a variety of criminal cases, his practice is primarily devoted to those charges involving firearms, weapons, and self defense issues, including federal NFA violations (machine guns, silencers, etc.), as well as handling cases involving falsified charges, resisting arrest, theft, aggravated assault, and fraud.

Besides being a criminal defense lawyer with extensive experience handling all types of criminal cases with special emphasis on self-defense issues, gun crimes, concealed weapon offenses, and aggravated assault cases, Mr. Gutmacher is the author of the widely read book: Florida Firearms – Law, Use & Ownership, writes a monthly column on gun crime issues, weapon and self defense issues for Rods & Guns Magazine and The Sportsman's Gazette, is an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor, Refuse to be a Victim instructor, and is a referral attorney for the National Rifle Association and Gun Owners of America. He has presented seminars and lectures for the Florida Bar, Lorman Seminars, the Florida Public Defenders Association, FALI, and numerous other organizations, as well as appearing as a guest on national and local television, including ABC’s Nightline. He has lectured on such subjects as Mercy Killings, Manslaughter, Extraordinary Remedies in Criminal Cases, Scientific Defenses, Second Amendment issues, special defenses to gun crimes, Self-Defense issues, and Federal firearm licensing issues.

While Mr. Gutmacher’s criminal defense practice is located in Orlando, he also handles cases in other Central Florida locations (ie: Orlando, Kissimmee, Sanford, Viera, Daytona Beach). Mr. Gutmacher frequently handles federal licensing issues before ATF throughout the State of Florida, and also represents security personnel in licensing issues before the Florida Department Of Agriculture. Read More...