• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milton, WI city council repeals open carry ban

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://gazettextra.com/weblogs/lykeminded/2009/aug/23/open-carry-in-milton

Open carry in Milton

By JIM LYKE ( Contact ) Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 9:23 a.m.
EMAIL RSS

var addthis_pub="gazx";
var addthis_brand="GazetteXtra";
var addthis_options = 'favorites, digg, delicious, myspace, newsvine, google, facebook, reddit, live, fark, more';

Last week at the Milton City Council meeting, that body quietly passed an ordinance that now allows you to openly carry firearms in the city of Milton.

I say “quietly” not to imply that it was done secretively or under the radar, but meaning that it was done with little fanfare because it wasn’t deemed very newsworthy. It seemed so at the time of its introduction, until people realized that “open carry” is already legal in Wisconsin and the Milton action was merely a formality to bring it in line with state statutes.

Still, I have to admit that I was surprised to learn that you could legally walk down High Street packing heat for all to see. It was just not a thought that ever entered my mind. If I had ever witnessed such an event, my first inclination would be to call the police. Because after all, for what possible reason would you do that? I can’t think of many, beyond taking it somewhere to sell or show, or to act out one’s fantasy of being a cop, or to intentionally create a disturbance. Another possibility would be if they thought they needed it for “safety,” but I would hope Milton isn’t to that point.

I spoke to Milton City Council member Brett Frazier, a fellow actor and the only person I know whose twins were born miles apart from each other.

Brett said basically that if you did see someone walking down the street with a gun, you are still encouraged to call the police. However, the police cannot detain someone merely for carrying a gun, nor can they cite them for disorderly conduct unless they are using the gun to create a disturbance. This final point appears headed for a court clash in Madison, thanks to someone deciding to test state Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen’s interpretation of the law. The police are, however, well within their rights to question the armed person.

The Milton ordinance does prevent people from bringing weapons into public buildings, school zones or places where alcohol is sold and consumed. It also gives business owners and private property owners the right to prohibit firearms from their property. Indeed, at least one “No Firearms” sign has already been spotted in town.

So how will this change Milton? Other than a few “No Firearms Allowed” signs, probably not at all. And the fact that the final passage of the ordinance merited a drop of ink in the newspaper verifies that.

But still, it made me think of a current incident that happened to me on the streets of Milton, when gang members (or gang member wanna-bes) thought I had flashed them a gang sign while I was out walking. What if I had been wearing a gun when that happened? Would it have prevented the losers from acknowledging me? Or would it have invited a confrontation? And would I have pulled it on them had they gotten out of their vehicle?

I’ll never know. And I hope I never will. If the day ever comes when I won’t feel safe in Milton without carrying “protection,” I will move far away.

Darroll

imported post

This story amazes me. In one article he goes from 'If I ever need to carry I'll move away' to being scared shitless over a group of gang members in a truck. WTF is this guys hangup? Can henot see the hypocrisy inhis own thought process?I love the mentality of it won't happen to me. Thank god some of us aren't as brain dead and see what is going on. I just hope one of "us" is around when he decides to piss off the wrong group of thugs or is the wrong place at the wrong time.

Am I alone or did I misread something?

- D

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Typical of clueless reporters, he fails to share the "ordinance" which was "passed".
I would bet that they simply repealed the ordinance banning the open carrying of firearms.

Once again I am disappointed that my rights are dependent upon the comfort level of people who do not wish to exercise those rights.

Milbars

imported post

I think Mike missed a good part to highlight:

"If I had ever witnessed such an event, my first inclination would be to call the police. Because after all, for what possible reason would you do that? I can’t think of many, beyond taking it somewhere to sell or show, or to act out one’s fantasy of being a cop, or to intentionally create a disturbance. Another possibility would be if they thought they needed it for “safety,” but I would hope Milton isn’t to that point."

Or maybe I just found it too funny...good to know that safety is the very last thing that came to this guy's mind. Oh and about the gang-members...yeah, it's SOP for gangs to instantly shoot anyone they see walking around with a pistol on their hip. Watch out! The OK Corral comes to Milton! Arm yourselves!