• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gov. O'Malley's Shall issue CCW discussion website

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Budget nothing... it's a matter of a denied RIGHT! Where in the Constitution does it mention that Rights shall be assessed a fee to exercise? I left two comments 'n read the rest. The anti's comments are the usual baseless gibberish.

virginiatuck

imported post

I'm curious, who opened this discussion? Was it started by someone in the Government or some anonymous person on the Internet?

Aside from the failed house bill this year to make Maryland "shall-issue", is there interest in the Governor's office to do so?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

they already responded. I pretty much posted a "give it up @#$%s, you're gonna lose next year".

http://www.discussion.maryland.gov/?p=46&cpage=3#comment-320

Gray Peterson says: August 18, 2009 at 4:14 am Your response is quaint and nice. However, understand that as soon as June of 2010, Maryland State Police’s issuance policy will be under attack. Your issuance policy is completely indefensible. If Maryland State law was like what it was before 1972, when the Legislature banned the open carrying of firearms in response to rioters in Baltimore in the Late 1960’s, your law would survive constitutional scrutiny since you could still open carry. However, since you can’t carry openly or concealed in Maryland without permit to wear a handgun, Maryland State Police must issue for self defense, or else face a civil rights action which would cost the state tens of thousands or possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars.
I’m not going to say that it violates the Second Amendment. The statements on this comment board saying that it does misses the point. McDonald v. City of Chicago is likely going to be heard by SCOTUS, and if it applies either due process or Privileges/Immunities incorporation via the 14th amendment to the states and localities, then MSP must change their issuance policy.

So my question to you, Mr. Governor, is how much taxpayer money are you willing to spend on the indefensible? Are you going to do the responsible thing and start issuing licenses as soon as McDonald comes down the pike ruling for incorporation? Or are you going to act stupidly and try to “fight the good fight” against the civil liberties of the residents of your state and other states who apply for a permit to wear a handgun?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
I'm curious, who opened this discussion? Was it started by someone in the Government or some anonymous person on the Internet?

Aside from the failed house bill this year to make Maryland "shall-issue", is there interest in the Governor's office to do so?

The Governor is being 'petitioned'... in essence. 'Shouldn't matter if he interested' or not...

The discussion was closed with over 300 respondants. I'd estimate 95% of whom favored'Shall Issue'.