• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

St. Croix County, WI open carry picnic media reports (23 AUG 09) [post links here]

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.wqow.com/Global/story.asp?S=10977230

200 residents show up for open carry picnic
Posted:

wnRenderDate('Sunday, August 23, 2009 7:35 PM EST', '', true);

Aug 23, 2009 7:35 PM EDT [/i]

Glenwood City (WQOW) - More than 200 residents showed up for the open carry picnic in Glenwood City on Sunday afternoon.

The picnic was heldat the Saint Croix County Fairgrounds, inGlenwood City. The picnic was open to the public and was freetoattend. Most of the 200 residents who were at Sunday's picnic were carrying guns.

Organizers say they held the picnic to celebrate a recent memo from Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen regarding the legality of open carry.

"My wife andI and our grown daughters organized this as an informational session more than anything else because I just can't believe the number of people, including our legislators and law enforcement, that don't know the laws," said Dave "Ole" Olson, event organizer.

Also at Sunday's picnic, Jefferson County Circuit Court Judge Randy Koschnick, he said he too is concerned not enough leaders know the gun laws.

"I'm concerned that many of our public officials, including judges, are not respecting the constitution," said Koschnick.

"If we don't respect the provisions of the constitution, I fear that our society will be changed dramatically, perhaps forever, and I wanted to alert people to that issue and encourage them to get involved in judicial races and other political races, identify candidates that share their values and support those candidates," said Michael Nelson, who attended the picnic.

ScottM

imported post

It was a good time :monkeyand yes I would say 90% were carrying. What's weird is no one got hurt. :cool: I saw a few MN folk I have met before and met a couple Wisconsinites, a very sweet German Shepard and had some good conversation. After leaving I stopped at the Hudson Gun Club for some personal time with my Kimber and Colt Trooper. I'm starting to like that Colt a bunch.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.leadertelegram.com/story-news.asp?id=BKVGE1UT0J4

Glenwood City hosts open-carry picnic

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]By Andrew Dowd [/font]

Leader-Telegram staff

GLENWOOD CITY - The beanbag toss and corn on the cob were as well received as the "guess the bullet" game and a display of Wisconsin firearms laws during a Sunday picnic at the St. Croix County Fairground.

Organizer Dave "Ole" Olson said crowd estimates were conservatively at about 350 for the "Open Carry Picnic" - a mix of a typical outdoor barbecue and gun enthusiast rally.

Spending well beyond his $2,000 budget and hoping to get some of that back from goodwill donations, Olson said he wanted to hold the event as a way to educate the public and gun owners about their rights.

"Believe it or not, there's a lot of gun owners who don't know the laws," he said.

UW-River Falls student and Ellsworth native Michael Morris, 21, admits he was one of those owners who didn't know all the permissions of Wisconsin's gun laws.

"I didn't even know we could carry until I came here," he said at the picnic.

He wore a holstered Heckler and Koch USP .40-caliber handgun, and his sister, Lauren, 19, attended the picnic with a .44-caliber Magnum revolver on her hip.

"It's important to make people more aware," said Lauren Morris, also a UW-River Falls student.

The two said some of Wisconsin's laws pose inconveniences to gun owners, namely how guns must remain unloaded and apart from ammunition while in a vehicle.

To educate gun owners about state gun laws, a three-sided display with copies of firearms laws was placed in the center of the picnic. It drew people who read and debated the polices.

One of Olson's bones of contention with state law is that it doesn't allow handguns in businesses that serve alcohol. He said he supports laws that prosecute people for using guns while intoxicated, but feels responsible, sober people should be able to carry sidearms in restaurants and taverns. He also advocates for allowing adults to carry guns in schools.

Olson required all attendees to keep their guns holstered. Only those 18 and older could bring sidearms, no rifles or shotguns were allowed, and there was no alcohol allowed at the fairground.

Olson said he hosted the picnic with friends and family, but he didn't receive help an organization. A table at the picnic gave attendees the opportunity to sign a petition that was started by a Virginia-based gun advocacy group, Opencarry.org.

The petition asks Wisconsin legislators to repeal restrictions on loaded weapons in vehicles and around schools, and to start a concealed-carry license system similar to the one enacted by Minnesota in 2003.

Olson and other attendees said the picnic was about the rights to bear arms and self-defense.

"It's my job to protect me and my family," Olson said.

If people don't exercise their rights and make others aware of them, Lauren Morris said lawmakers will try to infringe on them.

"Once you start losing constitutional rights, it's only going downhill from there," she said.

A voluntary guestbook had 324 names on it by 3 p.m., more than halfway through the picnic.

Those absent from the picnic included several politicians that Olson invited. Uniformed police were not called and did not visit the fairground.

A similar open-carry event is being scheduled for mid-October in Hudson, Olson said.

Other open-carry picnics have been held recently in Onalaska and Green Bay.
Crossing state lines
The picnic's most distant attendee hailed from Butler, a village near Milwaukee, while several others came from Minnesota.

Most of those at the picnic wore a gun, but Rick Augustine, 50, of Woodbury, Minn., was one of the few without one.

He has a concealed-carry permit for Minnesota, allowing him to wear a gun underneath his clothing, but that is illegal in Wisconsin.

"For me, the bigger issue is the hassle factor," he said of crossing the border between the two states with differing gun laws. "I hope sometime in my lifetime the Wisconsin Legislature will pass permit to carry."

But Sam Netherly, 60, Afton, Minn., did have his .50-caliber Guncrafter Industries semiautomatic handgun holstered at his side with two extra clips of hollow-point bullets on the opposite hip.

Every couple of months, Netherly hosts an open-carry breakfast at the Gopher Bar in St. Paul, and he's also organized two picnics at a park near Lake Harriet in Minneapolis.

Both events attract about 60 gun enthusiasts, Netherly said, some carrying up to four guns each.

"It's blatantly open-carry," he said.

Netherly wears his pistol at all times for his safety and for those immediately near him, he said.

"There are no safe places," he said.

Netherly said he's never drawn his weapon in a situation he perceived as dangerous, but he's put his hand on the concealed holster on two occasions when he was concerned for his safety. Because criminals in Minnesota now are more likely to accidentally encounter an armed citizen than a peace officer, Netherly said concealed-carry laws act as a deterrent to criminals without the need for violence.

"Looking down the barrel is enough to make any sensible human being stop," he said. "But if they don't, well, hey."

Dowd can be reached at 833-9204, or andrew.dowd@ecpc.com.

beretta96

imported post

Scottm, I normally don't stick my 2 cents in but I don't think you should have said it was weird that nobody got hurt, what were you expecting to happen, anti's see that and they will run with it, just my opinion.

countrymama

imported post

both the paper and ch 18 (wqow) news weren't quite right... last count we had was actually over 370-some signed in and not all signed in.

we're guessing attendance was around 400, prolly just over, based on food and sign ins.

thanks to all who came and helped support the cause!

we're very happy with the turn out.

if anyone has pics, video, etc, please, please, please send them to us! we were so busy working and chatting with people we didn't get any.

feel free to PM me and we can make arrangments!

Fireball357

imported post

Before this gets out of hand I want to address the following text in the Eau Claire Leader Telegram.

---The petition asks Wisconsin legislators to repeal restrictions on loaded weapons in vehicles and around schools, and to start a concealed-carry license system similar to the one enacted by Minnesota in 2003.---

This is the authors mis-interpretation of the petition. I, as the organizer, didn’t make any statement even remotely aligned with his conclusion.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Fireball357 wrote:
Before this gets out of hand I want to address the following text in the Eau Claire Leader Telegram.

---The petition asks Wisconsin legislators to repeal restrictions on loaded weapons in vehicles and around schools,
and to start a concealed-carry license system similar to the one enacted by Minnesota in 2003
.---

This is the authors mis-interpretation of the petition. I, as the organizer, didn’t make any statement even remotely aligned with his conclusion.
But the news item is correct - from the petition at bottom: "We also call for maintaining the current complete state preemption of local gun control power, and for the legislature to consider creating a license system to authorize citizens the privilege to conceal their handguns as they move about the state."

apierce918

imported post

Mike wrote:
Fireball357 wrote:

---The petition asks Wisconsin legislators to repeal restrictions on loaded weapons in vehicles and around schools,
and to start a concealed-carry license system similar to the one enacted by Minnesota in 2003
.---

But the news item is correct - from the petition at bottom: "We also call for maintaining the current complete state preemption of local gun control power, and for the legislature to consider creating a license system to authorize citizens the privilege to conceal their handguns as they move about the state."
the article said similar to minnesota, i think that is the part in question, we want it similar to VT :)

Fireball357

imported post

It is as simple as the repeal of State Statute 941.23; Carrying concealed weapon.

This should be added to or started as a separate petition.

Fireball357

imported post

Landose_theghost wrote:
Wow! 200 people and most were OC'n?...These events are getting bigger and bigger and more & more people are attending,maybe there is still hope for our state afterall.;)

Actually; we added up everyone that signed the guest book and had 385.

This doesn’t include the organizers or staff.

There were some who admittedly didn’t sign the guest book.

I feel comfortable saying that we had in excess of 400 in attendance.

We are gaining momentum.

About 200 of the people whom signed the guest book gave their e-mails for follow up. I will be getting to that this week.

Thanks again for the support from those who attended as well as those who couldn’t but did spread the word.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Fireball357 wrote:
It is as simple as the repeal of State Statute 941.23; Carrying concealed weapon.

This should be added to or started as a separate petition.
I think the petition founder wanted to be both politically realistic and subtly emphasize that open carry is the right and concealed carry permits were a reasonable regulation of concealed carry.