• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

St. Croix County, WI open carry picnic media reports (23 AUG 09) [post links here]

damagedunn

imported post

http://www.leadertelegram.com/story-news.asp?id=BKVGE1UT0J4

Wow,,
The perfect recipe to create a negative spin on an event such as this,
Is to just put a picture of a little girl in the article, which some how looks as
though she's OC'ing.
:banghead:

according the the reader comments, that's how it seems to be interpreted.

I was there, and it was a TOY GUN.

Toy-Gun.jpg

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Politically it may not be possible to get 941.23 repealed. It is to "handy" a tool for the prosecuting DA's especially when dealing with the criminal element. Criminals nearly always carry their firearms concealed. They certainly do not want to draw attention to the fact they are armed and certainly not if they are convicted felons. Probably the best we can expect is to insist on retaining open carry as a right with a permitting system that would allow the privilege of concealed carry. There is a lot of risk to that position. There are a number of legislature politicians that are just waiting for the door to open on the issue of firearm carry. That will give them the opportunity to attempt to re-write current law and to impose more restrictions on our firearm rights. If we think the "school law" and the "vehicle transport law" are unreasonable restrictions of our constitutional rights I shutter to think what the restrictions on firearm rights would be in order to obtain a permit for the privilege to conceal carry, especially if Minnesota is used as a model.Additional restriction on our rightswill be inevitable. Restrictions are used as bargaining chips in order to buy votes for passage. That's exactly what happened during the days of the Personal Protection Act. So many concessions were made to buy votes that "the baby was thrown out with the bath water". Doyle gets a lot of criticism for vetoeing the PPA. If you ever have the opportunity to read the Bill you will see that he did us a favor. If a permit system for the privilege to conceal carry is initiated in the legislature we must become very active and insist it comes with no additional restrictions over those already imposed on open carry.

I'm of the opinion that one of the statue victims of a conceal carry initiativemay be the preemption statute. Without preemption our whole cause is threatened. Mayor Barret and Doyle have both said that they will work for repeal of the preemption law. When Doyle no longer has the burden of governorship he can let it all hang out. So be careful what you wish for.

On april 20, 2009 we won a major battle but I think if we push for conceal carry the war has just begun. My opinions are from my experience as a player in the Personal Protection Act.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

for those interested in the history of the Personal Protection Act and the url to the PPA itself.

1993 introduced by Scott Gunderson. Senate Bill numbered SB214

2004 first veto by Doyle. Veto overide failed by one vote.

2005 re-introduced as SB403 companion Assembly Bill AB763.

2006 vetoed by Doyle. Veto overide failed bytwo votes.

Url to a copy of SB403 http://www.legis.state.wi.us/lfb/2005-07Bills/111805JFC_AB763_SB403.pdf

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Lammie, I fully agree with you that the failed PPA act was a total piece of crap by the time it made it to Doyles desk.
We are currently far better offwiththat billnot passing.
But I do not see it as "Doyle doing us a favor" I see him as "cutting off his nose to spite his face" with the way things worked out.

I vehemently opposed the PPA bill, notbecause I do not want a concealed-carry option, but all the concessions made and all the BS that was included in that bill while trying to appease the opponents of it.

I will settle for nothing less than AK/VT style carry, We already need to jump through too many hoops just to purchase a firearm. Lets not willingly add more restrictions and obstacles to be able to defend ourselves against the criminals that illegally carry firearm and try to rob, kill, injure and rape us. Lets show them that they can and will be shot and stoppedby almost anyone they try to attack. Show them that they are not the only people with firearms hidden on their person anymore.

I did not attend the picnic this last weekend, I just couldn't swing the 8 hour round trip.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Thanks for the link to the bill.

I note that it reports an absolute prohibition on carry of an electric weapon as a felony. I had not heard of that before.

Here is the birth of all the CCW Trainers and Instructors and organizations. Lining up with their hands held out for their thirty pieces of silver.
The substitute amendments provide that such training would have to be conducted by an instructor certified by the state in which the course or class was conducted or by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors.

southside

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i was there...........ole' deserves a big congrats from all of us.........his wife and daughters played big parts also..............he is planning a follow up event for oct.

countrymama

imported post

southside wrote:
i was there...........ole' deserves a big congrats from all of us.........his wife and daughters played big parts also..............he is planning a follow up event for oct.

thank you for attending; we appreciate all the support!!

that is my little redhead that is OC'ing :) I'm so proud. She frequently wears it to the grocery store, even, among other places! :) Her brother, a tall blondie, was running around somewhere too...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

More coverage:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1132&dept_id=597258&newsid=20364943&PAG=461&rfi=9

[align=left]Barron News Shield
spacer.gif

Open carry picnic in Glenwood City

08/31/2009[/align]More than 300 concerned citizens attended a recent open carry picnic at the St. Croix County Fairgrounds. Many participants came to the gathering with a pistol strapped to their waist.
The Tribune Press Reporter reports that Dave and Annette Olson of Glenwood City organized the event as a way to inform people about their right to carry firearms, as provided in the second amendment of the Constitution. With the help of friends, the Olsons organized the event and provided all of the food for the picnic. A donation bucket was also there to offset expenses.
The open carry picnic also featured several guest speakers, including a Jefferson County judge and a former law enforcement officer.
A similar event for this fall in Hudson is in its planning stages.