• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just got a 1903 Springfield

malichite

imported post

Just got this for my birthday. Trying to find out some more info and figured i might be able to get some help here. I did a little bit of research but havn't found out a lot. According to what I found it is from 1917. It has the Lyman sights, no sling attachment. Other then that it is in great shape. Doesn't look like it has ever been restored, no rust, bolt action is smooth, rifeling looks excellent, and fires straight and true. Anyways, what do you think?

100_2935.jpg

100_2936.jpg

100_2937.jpg

100_2940.jpg

100_2941.jpg

100_2942.jpg

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Very pretty rifle, but definitely not "all original". It doesn't have sling attachment points (as you stated), and that lovely stock with "sissy pad" was not manufactured in 1917.

I would put that style of recoil pad no earlier than the 60's, probably newer. The action looks to be in great shape, though. With a sling, you'd probably have a decent 1,000 yard gun.

VERY nice birthday present! Wish I had friends/relatives like you have!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Happy birthday, and enjoy your sportsterized '03.

For those not familiar with the term, someone took an old battle rifle and tweaked it to make it into a deer/elk/bear/gopher rifle. Yep! All those nasty cosmetic features are gone so nobody needs to fear this hunk of steel and wood any more.

I like battle rifles and I like deer rifles. I also like battle rifles that were modified to look like deer rifles.

stay safe.

skidmark

malichite

imported post

Thanks. I havn't open carried yet. I have been reading threw the site for the last few months. I just got my CPL a few weeks ago. I am just waiting for the gun fund to get a pistol to carry. Looking at either a G27, USP Compact or XD. Not sure yet but I will be picking that up in a month or two hopefully. But thats a different story. This springfield is my second weapon. I also have a 12ga pump for home defense :D

malichite

imported post

Wife knows how to shoot the shot gun. She used to be a MP in the Airforce so she is good :) As far as kids we have none, however if we ever do they will be shooting as soon as they can hold a weapon safely. Side note, wife and I are both looking to OC/CC once we get armed. Money is just a little tight for now but the gun fund is growing every week.

N00blet45

imported post

I have much admiration for the old battle rifles of yesteryear. I have a Mauser K98 stamped 1943, nothing fancy just a bunch of different parts put together.

I like that it's not in pristine condition or with some cool war story. It's banged up and still fires, just like the soldiers who once used them.

4sooth

imported post

This is a low number Springfield(below 800,000).ALL receivers in this serial number range are suspect as they were not properly heat treated.Hatcher's Notebook has an entire chapter devoted to just this issue.

Have a competent gunsmith confirm this for you--in the meantime stick to factory ammo only.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

4sooth wrote:
This is a low number Springfield(below 800,000).ALL receivers in this serial number range are suspect as they were not properly heat treated.Hatcher's Notebook has an entire chapter devoted to just this issue.

Have a competent gunsmith confirm this for you--in the meantime stick to factory ammo only.

I'll vouche for that.

They'll need to test the receiver to make sure it has been properly heat treated.

Before 800,000 theworkers heat treating the receivers just used their eyes to tell if the metal wasat the right temperatureto be quenched. They could actually do this with fairly good accuracy. Problem was that the proper "red hot" looked different on a cloudy day vs. a sunny day. So, the "sunny day" receivers got too hot and became brittle after quenching. What you want to hope is that you have a "cloudy day" receiver.

TehGruu

imported post

malichite wrote:
Thanks. I havn't open carried yet. I have been reading threw the site for the last few months. I just got my CPL a few weeks ago. I am just waiting for the gun fund to get a pistol to carry. Looking at either a G27, USP Compact or XD. Not sure yet but I will be picking that up in a month or two hopefully. But thats a different story. This springfield is my second weapon. I also have a 12ga pump for home defense :D

Maybe you could find a used 1911 and give it a 2nd chance as your carry weapon. :lol:

Oh, and congrats on the weapon! My grandfather gave me a Remmington 03A3 when he was still around. I treasure it.

-Gruu

Alexcabbie

imported post

What a lovely weapon! Have you thought of having the stock sanded and refinished? That wood has a nice figure and a bit of artisinal TLC would probably produce a truly luscious finish!

BTW all the antis screaming about "High-powered assault rifles" never bother to consider that an "assault rifle" (AK/AR etc) cannot hold a candle to beasties like this one. "assault" rifles are less likely to kill immediately than hunting rifles.

malichite

imported post

TehGruu wrote:
malichite wrote:

Maybe you could find a used 1911 and give it a 2nd chance as your carry weapon. :lol:

Oh, and congrats on the weapon! My grandfather gave me a Remmington 03A3 when he was still around. I treasure it.

-Gruu
I would love to get a 1911. My real grandfather had one before he died and kept it wraped up in the bottom of his dresser in his trailer. There was a leak and it ended up getting wet and all rusted so it was never handed down :( 1911 is definatlly on my list of weapons though. Actually looks like the wife may want that to OC

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

malichite wrote
I would love to get a 1911. My real grandfather had one before he died and kept it wraped up in the bottom of his dresser in his trailer. There was a leak and it ended up getting wet and all rusted so it was never handed down :( 1911 is definatlly on my list of weapons though. Actually looks like the wife may want that to OC
This is truly unfortunate... and possibly even more unfortunate is that a competent gun smith could probably have saved it! I have a .22LR that was my grandfathers that he gave to me after 'finding' it in his attic (he had forgotten he had it). It was 'rusted stuck' when he found it so he took it to a gun smith who refurbished it. It functions flawlessly! (except I think the ejector spring is wearing out... need to look at that soon)

TehGruu

imported post

Oh, man, sorry to hear about the poor 1911. Well, I all but promise you that you won't be disappointed with your 1911 when you get one. I'm a former plastic gun guy that hasn't looked back. I suggest you look into a Colt. Nice guns with a great history. Yes, they can be pricey. If you're on a tight budget just save and look for a used one. Check the paper, online auctions, and gun shows.

-Gruu

malichite

imported post

Took it by a local gunsmith today and he went threw it. Said everything looks peachy to him and to go ahead and fire it. He was very familiar with the reciever failurs and didn't think there would be any issue. This one was made in 1917 which is the last year and paparently the year they started getting better. There was only one failure of a 1917 reciever vs the many of other years. I will still not be hot rodding it and only shooting low grain ammo with a carefull inspection after every use for cracks.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Dragonflydf wrote:
I prefer my Springfield to be original, not chopped, Mine is from 1918,

That truly is a thing of great beauty! They're also accurate out to 1,000 yards. More accurate than a Garand. I'm still looking for one. Would be nice to have an 03' A3.