• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice for a concealable, reliable revolver

KY Soldier

imported post

I shot a judge yesterday and while it was a lot of fun to play with, its heavy, inaccurate, and kicks like all hell when loaded with .410 Probably not the best for a new shooter.

Alexcabbie

imported post

The niece carries a Judge in ome of those modified purse/holster rigs. First two are .410 birdshot, second two are full-house centerfire hollowpoints. Her reasoning is that being attacked might "freak her out" and put her aim off, and getting a facefull of birdshot may scare off/incapacitate/blind the BG and give her an opportunity to flee. and if not, the next three will hopefully "do the trick". She is well aware that in such situations there are no guarantees, but (I'm so proud!) says that she fels she has equipped herself well enough to have an overwhelming advantage to at least be able to get the hell away from the danger. She also says that if it gets down to it, an empty Judge would make "One hell of a conker" when used as a blunt-force weapon!

KY Soldier

imported post

Ahh good points lol. But other than a purse I dont see how concealing one would be an option. Please noone suggest a fanny pack I doubt your buddy wants to carry around a fanny pack..

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I think that Smith & Wesson's quality control issues from the early 1980's are pretty much behind them. Everyone else keeps having hiccups, but S&W's are just getting better.

I would never recommend a J frame to anyone however. A K frame with a 4" barrel is just as concealable and a lot easier to control. I think the .38's, models 64 and 67 are pretty much optimum for defensive carry. I prefer the 64 w/ fixed sights & heavy barrel. The 67 has adjustable rear and red-ramp front sights.