• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Examiner.com: Arthur Frommer needs to get out more

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Please CLICK, DIGG, and REDDIT:

http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m8d23-Arthur-Frommer-needs-to-get-out-more

SNIP

Arthur Frommer needs to get out more
This week Arizonans were shocked when iconic travel industry promoter Arthur Frommer blogged that

"I will not personally travel in a state where civilians carry loaded weapons onto the sidewalks [and t]ourists should safeguard themselves by avoiding stays in Arizona."

. . .

And why pick on Arizona? After all, Arizona is just like most states where folks can legally open carry guns without any permit, and can carry concealed guns if they hold the proper permit.

. . .

Mailman

imported post

I went to Frommer's website and sent the link to the Open Carry Map for him to peruse and suggested that he go ahead and add all of those states to his list of places not to visit.

TFred

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

TFred wrote:
And more... from the LA Times travel blog:

Wiley Publishing, which publishes the guides, on Monday distanced itself from Frommer’s opinion. “We have a great deal of respect for our publishing partner, Arthur Frommer, who is not a Wiley employee,” the statement said. “Mr. Frommer’s posting does not represent an official point of view held by Wiley or the writers and editors who create the Frommer’s Travel Guides. As a company we remain neutral because we respect our rights as individuals to have varying opinions.
“Wiley values the good citizens of Arizona, many of whom are our customers, authors, and partners.”

and

Scott Phelps, the director of communications for PhoenixMayor Phil Gordon, said in a phone interview Tuesday that the gunman was trying to attract media attention and that Frommer “took the bait.”

“Phoenix is one of the safest cities in the country,” Phelps said. “In fact, the mayor just got back yesterday from D.C. where he was invited by the White House and the Justice Department to talk about best practices of the Phoenix police.

“Phoenix police were being completely professional. . . . The guy was just trying to make a political point through a media stunt. He honestly didn’t break any laws. This was the police department protecting the safety of the community, which was never at risk. Again, there were a thousand people there expressing their opinions legally and lawfully and . . . one guy who wanted to get on TV and he did. Phoenix protected everyone’s rights.”

Ole Frommer is being pushed out on a limb.

He doesn't realize the strength of the 2A/carry constituencies....

TFred

imported post

HankT wrote:
TFred wrote:
Wiley Publishing, which publishes the guides, on Monday distanced itself from Frommer’s opinion. “We have a great deal of respect for our publishing partner, Arthur Frommer, who is not a Wiley employee,” the statement said. “Mr. Frommer’s posting does not represent an official point of view held by Wiley or the writers and editors who create the Frommer’s Travel Guides. As a company we remain neutral because we respect our rights as individuals to have varying opinions.
“Wiley values the good citizens of Arizona, many of whom are our customers, authors, and partners.”

and

Scott Phelps, the director of communications for PhoenixMayor Phil Gordon, said in a phone interview Tuesday that the gunman was trying to attract media attention and that Frommer “took the bait.”

“Phoenix is one of the safest cities in the country,” Phelps said. “In fact, the mayor just got back yesterday from D.C. where he was invited by the White House and the Justice Department to talk about best practices of the Phoenix police.

“Phoenix police were being completely professional. . . . The guy was just trying to make a political point through a media stunt. He honestly didn’t break any laws. This was the police department protecting the safety of the community, which was never at risk. Again, there were a thousand people there expressing their opinions legally and lawfully and . . . one guy who wanted to get on TV and he did. Phoenix protected everyone’s rights.”

And the publisher is trying to keep everyone happy... I don't know about you, but I don't think someone who claims to be "neutral" on the Second Amendment is really neutral on the Second Amendment.

"If you are not for us, then you are against us." I'm sure someone famous said that, and in the case of preserving rights that are under constant attack, there is no "neutral".

TFred

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

What does that crusty old geezer know about travel anyway? Not to insult those who are still active in the older age; but this guy clearly is not. Does he review wheelchairs? Scooter Rentals?

He is irrelevant to his own industry. Why should anyone else listen, either?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
HankT wrote:
TFred wrote:

and

And the publisher is trying to keep everyone happy... I don't know about you, but I don't think someone who claims to be "neutral" on the Second Amendment is really neutral on the Second Amendment.

"If you are not for us, then you are against us." I'm sure someone famous said that, and in the case of preserving rights that are under constant attack, there is no "neutral".

TFred
Heh, solid point. The 2A is of such a nature that one cannot be neutral 'on it.' Absolutes are often relegated to the realm of imperialism, but in this case, it's just true. If you don't support it, you're fueling the fire against it. There is no middle ground.

What good is a gun with no ammo?

TFred

imported post

Good grief, now they're whining like a baby.

http://www.examiner.com/x-15231-Phoenix-Tourism-Examiner~y2009m8d26-Frommer-publishing-company-releases-statement

Just as a boycott of travel to Arizona would financially hurt many people not the least bit involved in the incident to which Mr. Frommer so strongly objected, we must always remember that there are real people involved in the publishing of these books who were not involved in Mr. Frommer’s decision to make this statement
Frommer still consults* on the guides which continue to be published under his name and also sells the books on his website.
* I doubt he does this for free.

If Mr. Frommer makes one penny from the sale of these books, I am not going to buy any of them until he makes a full apology. That's just me.

TFred

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
Good grief, now they're whining like a baby.

http://www.examiner.com/x-15231-Phoenix-Tourism-Examiner~y2009m8d26-Frommer-publishing-company-releases-statement

Just as a boycott of travel to Arizona would financially hurt many people not the least bit involved in the incident to which Mr. Frommer so strongly objected, we must always remember that there are real people involved in the publishing of these books who were not involved in Mr. Frommer’s decision to make this statement
Frommer still consults* on the guides which continue to be published under his name and also sells the books on his website.
* I doubt he does this for free.

If Mr. Frommer makes one penny from the sale of these books, I am not going to buy any of them until he makes a full apology. That's just me.

TFred
I think he should have hired some consultants himself. Maybe someone would have told him to shut his damn yap. But, as everyone, he has the Right to open his maw and let spill forth idiocy and filth...

Too bad I don't have the right to kick him in the crotch until he bleeds out his ears.... That would be fun.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ixtow wrote:

I think he should have hired some consultants himself. Maybe someone would have told him to shut his damn yap. But, as everyone, he has the Right to open his maw and let spill forth idiocy and filth...

Too bad I don't have the right to kick him in the crotch until he bleeds out his ears.... That would be fun.

Do you notice any irony in this quote between the third and fourth sentenc....ahh, never mind.

;)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
ixtow wrote:

Do you notice any irony in this quote between the third and fourth sentenc....ahh, never mind.

;)
Of course I do. Read it again with your glasses on. I choose my words carefully.

tai4de2

imported post

I don't see a problem with the publisher's stance. Their claim of neutrality could just as easily be masking a zealous pro-gun view as an anti-gun view. And, if they are in fact anti-gun, one could choose to view their statement in a positive light because they would in effect be saying "we don't like guns but we respect that there are those who do."

TFred

imported post

tai4de2 wrote:

I don't see a problem with the publisher's stance. Their claim of neutrality could just as easily be masking a zealous pro-gun view as an anti-gun view. And, if they are in fact anti-gun, one could choose to view their statement in a positive light because they would in effect be saying "we don't like guns but we respect that there are those who do."
I understand your thought, but I don't agree. Support for the Second Amendment is a civil rights issue. Do you think someone who takes a "neutral" stance on race discrimination is really being "neutral" on the matter?

"We here at XYZ Widgets, Inc. do not have a position on racism, but we don't care if you do..." How do you think that would fly?

TFred