• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ready For Anything, by Dave Spaulding

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Lots of good points in this article: Maslow, the big "R," the big "P," "tools," fatboys, "gun-fu," and what not to do when somebody threatens tobox with you...

Ready For Anything

Be Smart Enough To Know When Guns Are Not the Answer.

Handguns Magazine--June/July 2009

Street Sense

By Dave Spaulding

We have all heard the old saying, "If all you have is a hammer, all problems will look like a nail." This appears to be true for some who seek defensive handgun training.

A gunfight is still a fight, so I have long supported combining handgun training with open-hand techniques and bridge weapons (OC spray and impact devices) as it has been my experience that firearms are seldom the proper response to interpersonal conflict.

For a firearm to be applicable, the threat faced must be serious physical harm or death. Otherwise, the legal system will view the force as not reasonable, and reasonabless is essential for any use of force.

A while back, I taught a defensive handgun course to a group of legally armed citizens, and a sizeable portion of the third day was directed at close-quarter shooting techniques. A part of this training requires students to deliver hand, elbow and knee strikes in order to repel the attack or create enough distance to employ the proper weapon based on the threat.

Hands are never superior to weapons, so gettting a weapon quickly is crucial as it offers a distinct advantage. I want my students to recognize what tool they need--or to just flee--without conscious thought, as it enhances one's ability to prevail.

Lack of physical ability or desire is not an excuse: This is exactly the type of person a predator will lookfor. They don't want a fight, they want surrender, so they seek out the old, the overweight or the timid.

One of the students in this class was a rather rotund fellow who would not take part in the close-quarter shooting. He did not have the "wind" or strength to perform the techniques as he would like, so he just stood back.

In truth, he was concerned how he would look to the rest of the class. Real world hand-to-hand conflict is never pretty, and it is one's commitment to the task that is important, and I tried to explain this, but he would have none of it. He stood behind the line until the class moved on to something he was more comfortable with.

Months went by and I was contacted by the police in this student's locale. I was told that he had been confronted in a bar by a guy who took a classic boxer's stance and announced "I'm going to kick your ass!"

Since all my former student knew was "gun-fu," he drew his concealed pistol and told the aggressor to back off. When this drunken idiot refused, the student fired a round into the floor at his feet, which resulted in pandemonium in the bar. The aggressor turned and ran right into a wall, which "incapacitated" him.

Multiple witnesses stated that the aggressor never threatened any level of force beyond fists, so it was difficult to articulate serious physical injury or death. When I was asked about the content of my course, I could not hide this student's refusal to partake in the open-hand skills, which did not help his case.

In the end, he pleaded guilty to carrying a concealed weapon in a liquor establishment and inducing panic. He received probation and lost his carry permit. He was lucky.

Personal defense should include a concealed handgun, but it is not the total answer. Personal defense should be viewed as a multi-skill package with awareness and avoidance as primary combined with contingency skills needed to solve a variety of potential threats.

N00blet45

imported post

Look at this site, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7777635.stm

There are more than a dozen with cause of death listed as "beaten" as well as some that say "other" and a description involving physical assault.

I'm not dismissing the idea that you should have more tools in your arsenal. However the idea that a punch is not sufficient to kill is very wrong.

The man in the story could have avoided the bar scene and not had the issue. True that it isn't his fault but drunks looking to fight are most often found around bars, so to avoid the drunks you steer clear of the bars. Just like it's not the rape victim's fault that she was raped at a party but not drinking half a fifth of whiskey and hanging out with random strangers would definitely go a long way to prevent the rape.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

N00blet45 wrote:

There are more than a dozen with cause of death listed as "beaten" as well as some that say "other" and a description involving physical assault.

I'm not dismissing the idea that you should have more tools in your arsenal. However the idea that a punch is not sufficient to kill is very wrong.

The man in the story could have avoided the bar scene and not had the issue. True that it isn't his fault but drunks looking to fight are most often found around bars, so to avoid the drunks you steer clear of the bars.

I don't think Spaulding said that one punch can't kill. I think he said that a regular fistfight or threat thereof is not likely at all to produce the reasonable threat of severe injury or death.

Makes sense to me.

If some guy threatens to punch you, N00blet, do you pull out the ole pistola?

That would almost certainly be unwise....

Once the gun comes out, the situation is escalated. 100% of the time.

Probably better to risk taking a punch. Better than what the "gun-fu" master did...

Carnivore

imported post

HankT wrote:
N00blet45 wrote:

The man in the story could have avoided the bar scene and not had the issue. True that it isn't his fault but drunks looking to fight are most often found around bars, so to avoid the drunks you steer clear of the bars.

I don't think Spaulding said that one punch can't kill. I think he said that a regular fistfight or threat thereof is not likely at all to produce the reasonable threat of severe injury or death.

Makes sense to me.

Probably better to risk taking a punch. Better than what the "gun-fu" master did...

One punch is capable of rendering you unconscious, is that the risk you want to take?I wouldn't, I'd take the best defensive action available to me at that very moment. You go ahead and take the punch, and I'll swing by to check out the big hole in your grille another day. Because the only reprocussions you will have on another day is taking the punk to court..

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
HankT wrote:

Makes sense to me.

One punch is capable of rendering you unconscious, is that the risk you want to take?I wouldn't, ...
Have you ever been knocked unconscious by a punch?

N00blet45

imported post

Would I draw simply because of a verbal threat? No.

If I thought that someone would take a swing at me I would most definitely do whatever is necessary to keep from getting hit. If that means drawing down on someone then so be it.

TehGruu

imported post

HankT wrote:

Well, I can't answer for him, or anyone else. I can speak for myself though. First off, I'm not a big guy. I'm like 5'8" and I weigh like 168 now. This is the sad effect of beer, fast food and not enough exercise. When I was in better shape I was still like 159 or so. Anyway, point is, I'm not a big guy. I have also had some minor training in hand to hand, bayonet, and firearms training. A lot of that was in the Army. I took some martial arts classes when I was younger and had some friends show me some more basic methods if quick incapacitaion. Most of my firearms experience though has been growing up and after my discharge in civilian life. I normally fire off about 100-200 rounds per week.

When I was younger and in "fighting shape", I didn't bat too much of an eye at the prospect of a fistfight. I have never really gone looking for trouble, but through bad choices and sometimes worse luck, it tended to find me. Yes, I've whipped people, and yes I've been on the receiving end of a good ass kicking.This was when I was younger. I'm 29 now. All things in consideration though, I choose not to fight with people.

Don't take this as I will run with my tail between my legs. If there is a serious threat to me or those I love, then I become a demon. I just don't like scrapping with people anymore. Sparring can be fun though, but it's not the same as a fight. That's more of a friendly exchange of violence in a controlled/training environment. At this point in my life I tend to avoid situations where there might be trouble. I don't go to the rougher spots to hang out. I do go to a pool hall/bar with my friends from time to time, but these tend to be in well lit areas. If trouble does arise, I try to back off and walk away.

They can say what they will. I just tell them I don't fight. This is because I don't. If things do escalate to a physical confrontation, I am going to hurt someone. This is because I view it as someone trying to hurt me. If they are punching me, there is a good chance they may get cut. If they are trying to cut me, there is a good chance they may get shot. I normally always have something on my person that can be used for defense. If I don't have a gun, I almost always have a knife. One time I almost had to use it.

I was out with some friends from work at a bowling alley of all places. I noticed on my way to the bathroom that the girlfriend of one of the guys in our party had been accosted by 3 mexican thug types. I changed direction and went and stood between them and put her behind me. They insulted me in spanish. I understood full well what they said. When one of them took a step towards me, I put my hand on the hilt of the 4 1/2 inch fixed blade at my side and told them no. I then walked backwards to put some distance between us and went back to our area. The girl was a little scared and told her boyfriend what happened. Needless to say he wasn't very happy and wanted to talk with them. I told him that I was leaving and he should do the same. It took a few minutes but I was able to convince everyone that it was time to leave and we left as a group. No further trouble.

I didn't mean to ramble on, but I was just trying to make a point. Yes, you can go and take all the training you want. You can master a martial art, a fixed blade, a gun, shovel,whatever. But that should all be a LAST resort. Would I pull out my gun on some wise ass looking for trouble? I doubt it. If he came and attacked me would I fall back on my unarmed training? More than likely I would only do that if I couldn't reach a weapon. At that point I would be under attack and would use whatever it took to end this as quickly as possible be it a gun, knife, heavy rock or my fist. The thought that only real men use their fists and settle scores man to man is a romantic fallacy that's best left to the movies or proving the pecking order when you're in grade school. I'm a grown man. I don't fight people just because they want a piece of me.

-Gruu