• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Duluth man kills father-in-law in self defense

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Cops: Duluth man kills father-in-law in self defense

By MEGAN MATTEUCCI

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

9:49 a.m. Saturday, August 22, 2009

Police say a Duluth man killed his father-in-law in self defense Friday night.

Mora Oliver, 44, died around 8:30 p.m. in Dacula after an argument erupted into gunfire, Gwinnett County Police spokesman Cpl. David Schiralli said.

Oliver was riding in a van with Danilo Arevalo, 21, on Jones Phillips Road near Indian Shoals Road. The two men began to argue and Oliver pulled a handgun, police said.

Oliver tried to shoot Arevalo, Schiralli said.

The men then began to struggle over the gun. That’s when Arevalo grabbed the gun and climbed out of the van, police said.

Officers say Arevalo was trying to flee the area, but Oliver ran after him and continued to fight.

“The suspect in an attempt to defend himself shot the victim killing him instantly,” Schiralli said Saturday morning.

Arevalo immediately called 911 to report the shooting. Oliver, of Lawrenceville, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Detectives interviewed Arevalo, of Duluth, but decided not to file charges.

“At this time, all evidence points to the suspect’s story being true,” Schiralli said Saturday morning.

The shooting remains under investigation.

Arevalo is Oliver’s son-in-law, police said.

http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/cops-duluth-man-kills-father-in-law-in-self-defense-121498.html

nobucks

imported post

The father-in-law introduced deadly force into the equation by pulling his handgun.

In the context of other discussions going on, I don't doubt it would be difficult to deal with the aftermath. But, again, if the father-in-law intended to kill me, there would be some relief in the fact that it was him and not me.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Not to question the actions of the son in law in this case. But, how do you go tell your wife that you just had touse deadly force onher father to save your life, accidentally or not?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

1) It goes to show that the aggressor loses the argument of "they'll take your gun an use it against you" far more often than the other way around.

2) The apple rarely falls far from the tree. Who cares what you tell her... But I'm probably biased there.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
...how do you go tell your wife that you just had touse deadly force onher father to save your life, accidentally or not?

With difficulty. Certainly, with difficulty...

Jim675 wrote:
Are you posting this as an exception to the postulate?
No, of course not. HPCSD has never had an exception challenge it. Here it is, for anyone who may have been in cryogenic-induced sleep recently:

HankT's Postulateof Civilian Self-Defense (HPCSD):

It is a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed person.

HPCSD always applies. It is axiomatic, only more certain....

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Hillmann wrote:
HankT wrote:

HPCSD has never had an exception challenge it.
Doyou have your own special deffinition of Challenge?

Or do you have some specialprocces that must be done before recognize it as a challenge?

Failed challenges are self-evident. Even Thawk, a doubter of the fullest measurein HPCSD, always must admit defeat!

Bring a case up, any case you wish. And HPCSD will be found to hold....

It's truly amazing.

Thank the good Lord for HPCSD...

Hillmann

imported post

HankT wrote:
Hillmann wrote:
HankT wrote:

Or do you have some specialprocces that must be done before recognize it as a challenge?

Failed challenges are self-evident. Even Thawk, a doubter of the fullest measurein HPCSD, always must admit defeat!

It's truly amazing.

How about the kids left home alone who shot the intruders.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Hillmann wrote:
HankT wrote:
Hillmann wrote:
HankT wrote:

It's truly amazing.

Which one is that? Link?

Hillmann

imported post

HankT wrote:
Hillmann wrote:
HankT wrote:
Hillmann wrote:
HankT wrote:

It's truly amazing.

Which one is that? Link?
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum60/28764.html

Big Boy

imported post

I've only been on this forum for about a month. Hank I would have no problem with you or your postulate (whether I agree with it or not) if you were not so indignantly arrogant.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Hank keeps us on our toes.;)
Thankyuh varra much. Thankyuh varra much...

happyfeet-10toes.jpg

FunkTrooper

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Hank keeps us on our toes.;)
Definitely, I know a lot of people don't like him on the boards and while I have to admit his actions can be troll like at the end of the day I notice that he does bring something to the table unlike the trolls Glockit or notintoguns.

wrightme

imported post

HankT wrote:
Jim675 wrote:
Are you posting this as an exception to the postulate?
No, of course not. HPCSD has never had an exception challenge it. Here it is, for anyone who may have been in cryogenic-induced sleep recently:

HankT's Postulateof Civilian Self-Defense (HPCSD):
It is a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed person.

HPCSD always applies. It is axiomatic, only more certain...
Danilo Arevalo shot an unarmed man. It was a good strategy. HPCSD is challenged, and fails to hold true.