• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

questions about 2 guns

scorpio_vette

imported post

so i have a tristar cobra tactical shotgun and a cz-82 9mm that i purchased from cabelas.

for some reason i have a feeling that one of the functions/features/safety (depending what it is or what you want to call it)on the shotgun isn't working correctly, but i'm not 100% sure since it's my first shotgun.

there is a lever on the left side just in front of the trigger guard. i'm under the impression that it is a safety of sorts that does not allow you to "pump" the shotgun for the first time after loading, but once you pull the trigger, then after that you can just pump-fire-pump-fire.

i even asked one of the friendly and knowledgeable sales guys/manager at cabelas who was helping me, and he grabbed some snap-caps and showed me with their floor model. he was not able to pump it until he held that lever in, but after firing it, he was able to pump-fire-pump-fire without having to hold the lever.

on mine i loaded it with some snap caps, and tried to pump it, and it allowed me to pump the shotgun and fire without having to activate that lever. one thing i have noticed though is that if i have live rounds in the shotgun and i want to eject them all, i can't just pump-pump-pump-pump successfully unless i hold the lever. otherwise it seems that the shells get jammed most of the time.

so i'm not quite sure if i'm not fully understanding what the lever is for, or if perhaps there is a defect in the mechanism.

next i have a cz-82, and was just wondering if any of you guys have any pros/cons, tips, tricks and/or advice regarding it.

I'm hoping to take both of them to the range here very very soon to familiarize myself with these 2 since i just got them.

thanks.

PS: while i have shot friends rifles and handguns in the past (only a hand full of times), i'm not very "fluent" in gun terminology or understand (other than safety handling and common sense---yes i'm one of the few people that managed to get some common sense before the supply dried up. LOL) all of the language around it. so please start me out in lamens terms. LOL

architect

imported post

If I am understanding you, it sounds like the shotgun is working as it is supposed to (at least in the respect about which you express concern). The sequence described in your fifth paragraph does not have enough information to positively determine whether a fault exists. The trigger could have been pulled before the snap caps were inserted in the magazine, decocking the shotgun.

The action release button is to allow cycling the action to unload unexpended shotshells, or to load the first shell after dry firing. The action is locked closed when the striker is cocked to prevent accidental unloading of an unexpended shell, and for safety. It should not matter whether the shotgun is loaded.

Open and close the action, put one or more snap caps in the magazine, open and close the action (without your finger on the trigger) to load. It should not allow further cycling without the action release being depressed. If it does, take it to a smith or back to the store.

One more thing, "loaded" means "with a round in the chamber." Having cartridges or shells present in a magazine without one in the chamber is not considered loaded, operationally-speaking at least, legally may be another matter depending on where you live.

jeeper1

imported post

I have a couple of CZ82s. It is probably the most comfortable center fire handgun I have ever shot. I Shoot the Silver Bear hollow points through mine. I have never had any problems with mine. The only advice I can offer is buy several extra magazines and ammo by the case. They are a lot of fun to shoot but the cartridge is only about a 380+P in power and therefore not really acceptable for self defense.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I carry a CZ 82 and just love it. Really simple to operate as a DA/SA semi-auto. One thing I noticed is that you can't put the safety on unless it is cocked. Since it is DA, I prefer not to carry it cocked. There is a hammer block that prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin, in the un-cocked position. This reduces the need to flip any switches to ready it to fire, just draw and start pulling the trigger.

I load it with Hornady's JHP for defense and use Wolf FMJ for target practice. Haven't tried the Silver Bear or Brown Bear, yet.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I'm with Architect on this one... Sounds like it is operating properly. You want to be able to cycle quickly between shots without having to mess with extra buttons/safeties/switches. The catch/release should only be 'engaged' when the gun is 'cocked'.
I will however vary slightly from Architect on his definition of loaded....
Most laws and people will distinguish 'loaded' from 'chambered'. My pistol and shotgun remain loaded, however when at home they are not chambered. The pistol gets chambered when it goes on my hip, the shotgun gets chambered when hunting/ ready to use... But they are always loaded.

As for the handgun, I am not overly familiar with that model, but in regards to TF16's ammo recommendations: Horady: Great! Wolf: DIRTY! Will gunk up your gun in ways that will be a pain to clean! if you do shoot wolf, clean IMMEDIATELY afterwords!

AbNo

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
for some reason i have a feeling that one of the functions/features/safety (depending what it is or what you want to call it)on the shotgun isn't working correctly, but i'm not 100% sure since it's my first shotgun.

there is a lever on the left side just in front of the trigger guard. i'm under the impression that it is a safety of sorts that does not allow you to "pump" the shotgun for the first time after loading, but once you pull the trigger, then after that you can just pump-fire-pump-fire.

on mine i loaded it with some snap caps, and tried to pump it, and it allowed me to pump the shotgun and fire without having to activate that lever. one thing i have noticed though is that if i have live rounds in the shotgun and i want to eject them all, i can't just pump-pump-pump-pump successfully unless i hold the lever. otherwise it seems that the shells get jammed most of the time.

so i'm not quite sure if i'm not fully understanding what the lever is for, or if perhaps there is a defect in the mechanism.
Nope, my Mossberg has that little lever as well. Think of it as a sort of slide-lock for the pumping action, to prevent you from accidentally ejecting a live round.

If you keep yours like mine (full five in the tube, chamber empty), you'll find it is also good for keeping the chamber empty, as you won't be able to move the pump and unintentionally chamber a round/cock the shotgun.

So yes, your cock-block lever is functioning as it should. :lol:

PS: while i have shot friends rifles and handguns in the past
Also, the apostrophe can be a very useful tool. :lol:

PS: while i have shot friends, rifles, and handguns in the past
:what:

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
AbNo wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
PS: while i have shot friends rifles and handguns in the past
Also, the apostrophe can be a very useful tool. :lol:

PS: while i have shot friends, rifles, and handguns in the past
:what:
Apostrophe?:uhoh:
Don't you just love it, when a grammer cop screws up while trying to correct some one else? :lol:

ecocks

imported post

He's saying it should have been used as follows:

I have shot friend's rifles and handguns in the past.

Probably the poster didn't shoot any of his friends.

Unless that is Dick Cheney's Username/Alias...

scorpio_vette

imported post

sorry i haven't been on in a while. I was helping a friend get his place ready for his wedding this past weekend.

ROFLMAO..........funny oops there. LOL "shot friends rifles and handguns".........LOL very funny.

thanks for the tips on the ammo, i'll keep that in mind.

as for the shotgun, i had a couple people over this past weekend who are familiar with shotguns, and talked to a gunsmith, and that lever doesn't seem to be engaging at all. so either there is a piece missing inside, or something is broken. everything else on the shotgun seems to be in working order though.

I was told that as long as the safety works, and I use proper safe handling of the firearm, to not bother with that lever as that is one less thing for me to have to worry about when using it in a hurry.