• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio is an "ANOMALOUS STATE ?"

Combat Veteran

imported post

The map part of this site NEEDS to be updated. Ohio has COMPLETE PREEMPTION of firearms laws, and open carry is legal EVERYWHERE in the state of Ohio except where expressly forbidden by STATE law or posting bya property owner. All restrictionspertaining to open carry are the same as concealed carry; except : It is illegal to open carry in a motor vehicle, re: Any person WITHOUT a concealed carry permit MUST transport a firearm unloaded and in a closed container located in such a place where it is not readily available to persons in the vehicle.

We've come a long way with our gun laws here and working hard to be a Gold Star State------- some day.

shad0wfax

imported post

Do you guys still have that law that requires you to announce the presence of a concealed firearm when entering someone's home?

Is there still a state law (above and beyond criminal trespass laws) which is enforceable if you carry a firearm into a business that has a no firearms allowed sign posted?

Does Ohio still ban guns in churches?

Does Ohio still require a notification of being armed to an officer at the beginning of a routine traffic stop?

Has Ohio still failed to define "Plain Sight"?

Does Ohio still ban carry in a restaurant that even serves alcohol (even if you're not in the bar area and not drinking at a regular table)?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then that's probably why you're an anomalous state.

david.ross

imported post

Clearly armed wrote:
except : It is illegal to open carry in a motor vehicle, re: Any person WITHOUT a concealed carry permit MUST transport a firearm unloaded and in a closed container located in such a place where it is not readily available to persons in the vehicle.
Making Ohio anomalous...

Deanimator

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
1. Do you guys still have that law that requires you to announce the presence of a concealed firearm when entering someone's home?

2. Is there still a state law (above and beyond criminal trespass laws) which is enforceable if you carry a firearm into a business that has a no firearms allowed sign posted?

3. Does Ohio still ban guns in churches?

4. Does Ohio still require a notification of being armed to an officer at the beginning of a routine traffic stop?

5. Has Ohio still failed to define "Plain Sight"?

6. Does Ohio still ban carry in a restaurant that even serves alcohol (even if you're not in the bar area and not drinking at a regular table)?
1. Never heard of any such law. If they POST their home, you can't enter with a firearm.

2. It's a crime to ignore a properly posted "No Guns" sign at a business establishment. Ignoring a posted parking lot is civil trespass... if they find out.

3. Ohio bans UNAUTHORIZED guns in churches.

4. You must notify an LEO who stops you for any "official purpose", traffic stop or otherwise.

5. Define "define".

6. Restaurant carry is banned, but there is considerable effort in play to repeal that ban. I expect that legislation to pass.

DJ_Amish

imported post

Sadly just another misinformed person spouting off what they really know.. Nothing.

I come to these sites for the information and to meet like minded ppl. I dont post very often. There are a lot of very knowledgeable posters on this site.

But it bugs the hell out of me when someone signs up and posts about something they have clue about. It makes you look stupid.

I am 32 yrs old. I got into law enforcement when I was 19. I been to college. And I will be the first to say I have a lot to learn, but hopefully I will never post my ignorance on here.

Legba

imported post

I don't know whose ignorance you're commenting on - deanimator's responses are correct anyway.

-ljp

Deanimator

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
The map for Ohio is correct. It is an anomalous state, the OP gave us the examples in his post!
At least one of those "examples" has absolutely no basis in Ohio law.

Anybody EVER heard of a law which requires you to inform a home owner? Me neither.

Alexcabbie

imported post

On my last trip to Huber Heights, OH I cruised through the (astoundingly desolate) "Huber Center". Closed business after closed business, all with "no weapons" signs posted. I went to the Lee's Chicken joint across the road and nobody even blinked. A Huber cop came in and remarked on my P.38 and we had a nice cordial conversation about the history of the weapon and about the Heights in general.

Lee's BTW is thriving. That's as it should be, IMO.

The City of Dayton has really gone to hell. And the Dayton Police are really opposed to OC and for that matter they don't mch care for CC either. The mindset seems to be that citizens with firearms equals trouble. I don't think it is so much a "power trip" as it is a genuine deeply rooted philosophy in that particular agency. And when I drove along once-thriving North Main Street, which now looks like R. Crumb drew it, I can understand why they feel that way. I don't agree, I can just undersstand it. I wish they would understand why I for one feel reassured in a place like that that Mr. Walther is with me.

Deanimator

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
The map for Ohio is correct. It is an anomalous state, the OP gave us the examples in his post!

Anybody EVER heard of a law which requires you to inform a home owner? Me neither.
The OP never stated that you had to inform a home owner.
Are you SURE?

Do you guys still have that law that requires you to announce the presence of a concealed firearm when entering someone's home?
I even quoted it in my reply.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Well hell there's a great way to settle this. The Ohio Revised Code is available online. In fact when I visited the library in Huber they told me that they no longer kept hard copy of the Code since it was available "on the Internet".

Cheese and crackers. :banghead:

Legba

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
On my last trip to Huber Heights, OH I cruised through the (astoundingly desolate) "Huber Center". Closed business after closed business, all with "no weapons" signs posted. I went to the Lee's Chicken joint across the road and nobody even blinked. A Huber cop came in and remarked on my P.38 and we had a nice cordial conversation about the history of the weapon and about the Heights in general.

Lee's BTW is thriving. That's as it should be, IMO.

The City of Dayton has really gone to hell. And the Dayton Police are really opposed to OC and for that matter they don't mch care for CC either. The mindset seems to be that citizens with firearms equals trouble. I don't think it is so much a "power trip" as it is a genuine deeply rooted philosophy in that particular agency. And when I drove along once-thriving North Main Street, which now looks like R. Crumb drew it, I can understand why they feel that way. I don't agree, I can just undersstand it. I wish they would understand why I for one feel reassured in a place like that that Mr. Walther is with me.
Dayton is an open sewer. They're the ones who ran me in on a felony complaint for having an unloaded gun in my car. Wouldn't bother me one bit if someone nuked the place.

Here's a link to the ORC - the criminal code is title 29: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc.

-ljp

Alexcabbie

imported post

When my dad (God rest his soul) died last year I had an option to buy the family home, and I could have left Virginia and gone back to whence I sprang; the people are good hearted folks and I miss it so. There were employment opportunities there for me, among them the Dayton PD and several PI gigs (I would have to be outta my effin' mind to drive a cab in Dayton). How I would love to be able to picnic at Taylorsville Dam agsin, sit around listening to the bands at Jackass Flats.

But there is that whole Southwest Ohio mindset to deal with. Somewhere along the way we lost the idea that "profit is not a dirty word in Ohio". Dayton has a freaking screwball of a mayor who wears glasses with one round lens and one square lens and she says it is to symbolize that "Dayton is well-rounded and you always get a square deal" OMG the woman is NUTSO. Ohio now taxes the living hell out of EVERYTHING, and even cab drivers have to collect sales taxes for fares. I cannot imagine with all the other hassles a cabbie has how they manage to put up- with that.

And they wonder why employers are fleeing the state.

And just like everywhere else, the most dangerous places are the ones where an armed LAC is not particularly welcome.

The Ohio Revised Code is one of the most opaque mind-numbing collectons of statutes I have ever tried to read. And case law convolutes it even more. Grand jury indictments for misdemeanors?? come on......

I think I'll stay in Virginia.

Deanimator

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
When my dad (God rest his soul) died last year I had an option to buy the family home, and I could have left Virginia and gone back to whence I sprang; the people are good hearted folks and I miss it so. There were employment opportunities there for me, among them the Dayton PD and several PI gigs (I would have to be outta my effin' mind to drive a cab in Dayton). How I would love to be able to picnic at Taylorsville Dam agsin, sit around listening to the bands at Jackass Flats.

But there is that whole Southwest Ohio mindset to deal with. Somewhere along the way we lost the idea that "profit is not a dirty word in Ohio". Dayton has a freaking screwball of a mayor who wears glasses with one round lens and one square lens and she says it is to symbolize that "Dayton is well-rounded and you always get a square deal" OMG the woman is NUTSO. Ohio now taxes the living hell out of EVERYTHING, and even cab drivers have to collect sales taxes for fares. I cannot imagine with all the other hassles a cabbie has how they manage to put up- with that.

And they wonder why employers are fleeing the state.

And just like everywhere else, the most dangerous places are the ones where an armed LAC is not particularly welcome.

The Ohio Revised Code is one of the most opaque mind-numbing collectons of statutes I have ever tried to read. And case law convolutes it even more. Grand jury indictments for misdemeanors?? come on......

I think I'll stay in Virginia.
Ohio seems a lot more congenial to me, but then I moved to the Cleveland area from CHICAGO. I guess the Golan Heights isn't the greatest place in the world either... unless you moved there from Oswiciem, Poland...

shad0wfax

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
NavyLT wrote:

The OP never stated that you had to inform a home owner.
Are you SURE?

I even quoted it in my reply.
Yes, I am sure. Look who you quoted, it was not the OP.
It was me that asked the question, not the OP.

I asked questions, I didn't make statements. Most of the questions I asked had a basis in Ohio law or past Ohio law. One of the questions I asked had NO BASIS in Ohio law, as I was misinformed and didn't bother to read Ohio code since I don't go to Ohio very often. (I also didn't feel like arguing with the LEO who kicked me out of his house... LOL)

Anyhow, apart from that erroneous question, which I will leave up for comedic value at this point, the rest of the questions still stand.

DMWyatt

imported post

Mike wrote:
Clearly armed wrote:
The map part of this site NEEDS to be updated.
repeal your requirement in Ohio to have a concealed permit to open carry in vehicles and you can get upgraded to Gold Star status.

If only...

As long as the state legislature has selective amnesia with regard to the fact that there is more in Ohio than Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincy; I think we're doomed to stagnate and die this slow painful death the entire state's been dying the last 10 years. I think it's going to take severe cuts in legislator compensation and a complete ousting of all incumbents to even make a dent. I learned the other day that NH state legislators get paid something like $100 a year? In Ohio, our legislators get paid somewhere around $50,000 a year. So much for public SERVICE.

Alexcabbie

imported post

what is amazing about Ohio is how left-leaning cities contrast with their more conservative neighbors. While Dayton is a shell of its former self, right next door Huber Heights (where I grew up) is absolutely thriving. Sure there is a desolaate shopping center or two, but there are a plethora of new restaurants and hotels. Wayne is still one of the best schools in the region. Meanwhile what little was left of NCR has packed up and left. NCR used to employ so many people that the company recreation center's HUGE circular pool (radius about 11/2 city blocks) was filled with mostly us kids every sunny summer day. Now it is filled with dirt. Sigh. I wouldn't drive a cab in Daytom without a full police prisoner cage in the back seat.

Ah, but busting cans and bottles with .22 rifles out in the thick woods, a little wabbit hunting, a little varmint shooting, plenty of places to do it Couldn't find a public outdoor range last time I was there, don't know what happened to the Miami Valley Shooting Center.

Also I did not know what "open carry" in a vehicle constituted. On your right hip would it be concealed if you couldn't see it from the driver's side window? In the City of Dayton I just covered up anyway as as I mentioned the DPD has a cultural phobia about armed civilians. In fact I think Dayton had one of those "gotcha" local ordinances that were scotched by pre-emption but the city cops seem not to have fully read the memo yet.

Deanimator

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Also I did not know what "open carry" in a vehicle constituted. On your right hip would it be concealed if you couldn't see it from the driver's side window? In the City of Dayton I just covered up anyway as as I mentioned the DPD has a cultural phobia about armed civilians. In fact I think Dayton had one of those "gotcha" local ordinances that were scotched by pre-emption but the city cops seem not to have fully read the memo yet.
1. Open carry used to be REQUIRED in a vehicle. It was a "poison pill" set by the OHP, that they accidentally swallowed themselves. You still had to have a CHL to carry in a vehicle. You now CAN open carry in a vehicle with a CHL, it's just not required.

2. It doesn't matter what DPD likes. The ONLY thing that matters is the ORC. If one of them doesn't like that and wants to enforce whim rather than the ORC, wreck his career, finances and family. This is a bad time to have to choose between paying a judgement (or settlement not dischargeable in bankruptcy) and the mortgage. I wonder how many of them are REALLY willing to either default on their mortgages, or alternately have all of their property attached and sold at auction, and NEVER be able to sell that empty house because the title's encumbered.

DMWyatt

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
what is amazing about Ohio is how left-leaning cities contrast with their more conservative neighbors. While Dayton is a shell of its former self, right next door Huber Heights (where I grew up) is absolutely thriving. Sure there is a desolaate shopping center or two, but there are a plethora of new restaurants and hotels. Wayne is still one of the best schools in the region. Meanwhile what little was left of NCR has packed up and left. NCR used to employ so many people that the company recreation center's HUGE circular pool (radius about 11/2 city blocks) was filled with mostly us kids every sunny summer day. Now it is filled with dirt. Sigh. I wouldn't drive a cab in Daytom without a full police prisoner cage in the back seat.

Ah, but busting cans and bottles with .22 rifles out in the thick woods, a little wabbit hunting, a little varmint shooting, plenty of places to do it Couldn't find a public outdoor range last time I was there, don't know what happened to the Miami Valley Shooting Center.

In Ohio, even having a loaded magazine in the car constitutes a loaded firearm. Without a CCW permit, a loaded firearm in the car is a no-go. The issue of concealed wouldn't necessarily matter, as on your hip without a permit constitutes within easy reach. It would, according to code, be illegal no matter how or where it is carried on your person while in the vehicle. Generally, every person I've spoken to on the issue carries any firearms they have in a closed and locked case in the back seat, and the ammunition in the trunk to avoid conflict with the law.

darthmord

imported post

Several years ago, an uncle of mine was given a major hassle by the Ohio State Highway Patrol on his way back from a hunting trip.

Prior to leaving to come back, he properly cased his firearms (rifles) and ammunition. He also went the extra step of taking the firing bits out of his rifles and had them inside another case which was stored in the glove box.

He was pulled over for some reason (I don't remember). The police ended up searching his car and found the firearms in the trunk. They were going to haul him off for a boatload of firearms violations. He stood his ground and pushed the issue up through supervisors until they finally released him.

His point? It's hard to use these as a firearm when they are fully unloaded, locked separately from ammunition (which was locked itself in its own case), and had the firing mechanisms removed and stored separately.

In my uncle's own words... "My rifles were basically really expensive baseball bats at that point".