• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting Chat with LEO

dng

State Researcher
imported post

dwayner79, +1 very good educational conversation for you and the LEO.

Edward Peruta

imported post

I attended a subcommittee meeting of the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners today and learned that Sgt. Hall forwarded this email up the chain of command.

Sgt. Hall acknowledged that he had recieved it, and had every oppurtunity to correct any statements made and did not.

We'll see where these emails take us, it could be interesting.

Edward Peruta wrote:
This is the edited response I have sent to the individuals who provided me with the email to the AG.

CT Citizenand CT Citizen,

Thank you for the copy of your email correspondence with the Attorney General, I have redacted your name and email and posted it on http://www.opencarry.com.

I have taken the liberty to copy this email to Sgt. Douglas Hall who is the Executive Officer in the Firearms Unit so that he is aware of your inquiry.

I’m sure that if Sgt. Hall finds any incorrect statements in this email, he will notify one or both of us as soon as possible.[/b]

I suggest that you follow the recommendations of the AG and submit a formal request to the Firearms unit on the topic of open carry.

It might be wise to make your request and state that you are asking for a "DECLARATORY RULING[/b]".

Should you have any additional questions or need of my assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me via email or phone 860-978-5455.

As a current NRA Instructor[/b] and Instructor and author of an approved course of instruction by the Commissioner of Public Safety, I feel safe in telling you that there are currently no criminal, civil or administrative penalties[/b] for carrying your pistol or revolver openly in a responsible manner[/b].

I do not, (and would not), recommend carrying your weapon in a manner that could be considered as a threat to another.

There are cases where individuals chose to openly carry their weapon in their hand rather than in a holster and found themselves having to justify their actions.

I’m sure that simply carrying your weapon in a secured holster without any other factors is NOT[/b] prohibited by law or regulation in CT.

My opinions and beliefs as a recognized instructor cannot and may not prevent an unknowledgeable member of law enforcement from taking some type of incorrect action.

Hopefully the state will realize that not providing timely factual answers to individuals who are permitted to carry firearms is a very serious matter.

MAY I SUGGEST THAT YOU VIST http://WWW.CCDL.US, JOIN THE ORANIZATION AND MAKE A CONTRIBUTION TO THEIR ORGANIZATION.

Respecfully,

Edward A. Peruta

State Approved Pistol Instructor

GoldCoaster

imported post

Definitely some interesting times ahead. What is the average turnaround from an email to the AG for his aides to read it and respond I wonder? I doubt that Mr Blumenthal reads his own email himself.

I'll respond to this thread if/when I hear something and assume others will do the same.

Douglas in CT

imported post

[align=left]Hi Ed,
[/align][align=left]Just sent this off. :)
[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]Learn 2 Shoot, LLC[/align] [align=center]Where Safety is No Accident[/align] [align=center]203-494-6312[/align] [align=center]http://www.learn2shoot.org[/align]
August 26, 2009

Subject: The carry of pistols and revolvers in the state of Connecticut

Attorney General Blumenthal,

By way of introduction, I own Learn 2 Shoot, LLC. - a company that conducts National Rifle Association (NRA) courses in Connecticut. I am an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor and teach the NRA Basic Pistol, NRA Basic Rifle, NRA Basic Shotgun and NRA Basic Muzzle Loading Rifle courses. I am also a holder of a CT Permit to Carry a Pistol or Revolver (“CT Permit Holder”).

As part of the NRA Basic Pistol course, I cover the basics of state and federal firearms laws. There is one question keeps coming up in my courses regarding Connecticut law/statutes.

That question is:
Is a holder of a “CT Permit Holder” withinhis rights to carry a pistol or revolver in public openly (withoutbeing concealed) in the state of CT?

If a “CT Permit Holder” is not within his rights to do this, would you be so kind as to cite the specific statute thatprohibits from doing so?

Thank you for your time and attention to this request.

Respectfully yours,
Douglas
Chief Instructor

GoldCoaster

imported post

I got my response today... I was hoping our AG would take a bold step and put his foot down but no, he says he can't because he wasn't asked to. I thought I had asked him to but apparently he needs the DPS to ask him. I'm a bit disappointed with it but not altogether surprised.

-----------------------------------

Reply from Attorney General Richard Blumenthal

Dear Mr. Goldcoaster:

I appreciated your letter and I understand your concern with the
position of the Department of Public Safety on this issue. As you may
know, the question of whether permitted gun owners must carry the
firearm in a concealed manner is currently in litigation. While the
statute doesn't explicitly prohibit the open carrying of a weapon, the
Department of Public Safety feels that publicly carrying a weapon may
implicate criminal statutes in certain circumstances. The Office of the
Attorney General does not enforce those statutes.

Further, whether or not the Department believes that the current
law requires the concealed carrying of such weapon, our office has not
provided any legal advice on that matter as we have not been asked by
the Department to answer such a question. Given the concerns of the
Department -- which certainly seem legitimate -- the best answer may be
to obtain a legislative clarification on how permitted gun owners must
carry their firearms.

I regret that I cannot directly resolve this issue.

Many thanks, and warmest regards.

Sincerely,

RICHARD BLUMENTHAL

GoldCoaster

imported post

Ed, I'm starting to think you are right. The litigation thing may be a factor but I thought *I* asked him to render an opinion... I'm a taxpayer, I'm a state resident, I pay his salary, why can't I ask him for his opinion but DPS can (but don't seem inclined to do so) ?

Lon

imported post

Did anyone seriously expect anything else from the AG?

GoldCoaster

imported post

Lon wrote:
Did anyone seriously expect anything else from the AG?
Well I expected more than I got. AG Blumenthal has in the past been pretty outspoken on things, but I'm guessing if the doesn't have 5 television cameras in front of him he's a lot less apt to act decisively.

Edward Peruta

imported post

This email was sent to the Office of the Attorney General following a series of emails between his office and GOLDCOASTER.

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2009 6:01 PM
To: 'Patricia.Sullivan@po.state.ct.us'
Cc: rbaird@rachelbairdlaw.com
Subject: Clarification of State Statute

Ms. Patricia Sullivan,

My name is Edward A. Peruta, and I am in receipt of an email sent by you over the signature of Attorney General Richard Blumenthal.

As you might be aware, I am the plaintiff in a personal case currently on appeal in our state appellate court regarding the topic of openly carrying a firearm while in possession of a valid state “PERMIT TO CARRY PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS”.

I am providing a copy of this email to my personal attorney and assure you that I this correspondence has been sent in my capacity as an active member of the media.

To say the least, I am disappointed in the response provided to this citizen by the Attorney General.

For the Attorney General of Connecticut or a member of his staff to advocate the existence and/or enforcement of a law that is ambiguous and confusing to current valid pistol permit holders leaving them at risk of arrest, imprisonment or revocation for legal activity is at best a sad day in Connecticut.

During the past two legislative sessions, attempts have been made to have the Legislature amend the statutes to mandate concealment by valid permit holders has failed. The most recent attempt was submitted by the Commissioner of Public Safety in a letter dated February 28, 2009 where he clearly states that the law is “ambiguous”.

Mr. Blumenthal once enjoyed my respect and admiration as a defender of the law and rights of citizens. Sadly after witnessing his position on this topic, that is no longer the case.

In an attempt to obtain the Attorney General’s opinion and position on this topic, I request if possible, a sit down interview with Mr. Blumenthal or prior notice of all planned news conferences like those sent to other members of the media.

If Mr. Blumenthal does not have a schedule of open news conferences, I would like a copy of his speaking schedule from this date through the end of 2009.

Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter,

Edward A. Peruta
American News and Information Services Inc.
Rocky Hill, CT. 06067
860-978-5455

----- Forwarded Message ----

From: "Sullivan, Patricia" <Patricia.Sullivan@po.state.ct.us>

To: (Redacted for privacy)

Sent: Friday, September 4, 2009 2:59:36 PM

Subject: FW: Request for clarification.

Reply from Attorney General Richard Blumenthal

Dear Mr. (Redacted for Privacy):

Pending litigation does not prohibit any person -- including a legislator -- from seeking legislation to clarify an issue. You are correct that the Department of Public Safety does not establish the law on carrying weapons, but the Department must enforce the law to the best of its ability. Indeed, whether a gun carried in plain sight constitutes a criminal violation may depend on the circumstances existing in that situation. Although you are seeking clarity on this issue, the legality of how a permittee carries a firearm will on all likelihood require a factual assessment by law enforcement officials.

I wish I could be more helpful.

Many thanks, and warmest regards.

Sincerely,

RICHARD BLUMENTHAL