• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silver Eagle Group Range Referral Promo

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Those of you that have been on the fence about joining the Silver Eagle Group in Ashburn, VA (a 22 million dollar gun range and training facility) can now save an extra $15.00. A "normal" annual pass member pays their $100 initiation fee and then $35 per month for unlimited range time. Sign up now and say "Ed sent me" and you will get $15.00 off your first month's charge.

You can also visit the Silver Eagle Group's Booth on 8/29 at the Leesburg Executive Airport Open House (featuring a WWII B17 Bomber) Details at: http://jyoopenhouse.aero

Ed

gis

imported post

I paid a visit to Silver Eagle when I first came out here. They have a decent range, but I was disappointed that everything else they advertised was smoke and mirrors. I was specifically looking for a shoothouse and/or an IES type simulator that I could use on a fee basis.They existonly on paper. I asked if there is an opportunity to practice movement or multiple target drills on my own, and the answer was no.Instead they tried to sell me some "weekend-warrior"classes, which I don't need. I asked a lot of questions about who owns the place, etc. and got an impression that these guys are a bunch of Blackwater wannabes. I am not sure that there is a whole lot of substance behind the glossy facade.

I joined the NRA range in Fairfax, about to join Range82, and still looking for a long range rifle range.

rob99vmi04

imported post

gis wrote:
I paid a visit to Silver Eagle when I first came out here. They have a decent range, but I was disappointed that everything else they advertised was smoke and mirrors. I was specifically looking for a shoothouse and/or an IES type simulator that I could use on a fee basis.They existonly on paper. I asked if there is an opportunity to practice movement or multiple target drills on my own, and the answer was no.Instead they tried to sell me some "weekend-warrior"classes, which I don't need. I asked a lot of questions about who owns the place, etc. and got an impression that these guys are a bunch of Blackwater wannabes. I am not sure that there is a whole lot of substance behind the glossy facade.

I joined the NRA range in Fairfax, about to join Range82, and still looking for a long range rifle range.

What about IWLA in Centreville?

They don't have the running and gunning stuff but if your looking for a 100 yard range they have one their. They also have a Trout Pond, 4 Trap Fields, 3 Skeet fields, an outdoor 3-D archery range. They also host numerous events that are a lot of fun for even the non-shooter. I think they have camp grounds as well.

nova

imported post

gis wrote:
I asked a lot of questions about who owns the place, etc. and got an impression that these guys are a bunch of Blackwater wannabes.
Google "MVM inc"

mschend

imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
rob99vmi04 wrote:
What about IWLA in Centreville?
Membership is closed/full for this yr.
I thought they just had a membership meeting about 2 weeks ago? I'm not doubting you, I became a member back in March when they had the massive FLOOD of people.

Hi rob99vmi04,

Arlington/Fairfax IWLA in Centreville has a membership meeting each month on the thirdTuesday of the month which is for existing members to discuss club matters with the Board and vote new members in (if any). Orientation meetings are for prospective members to get the club rules, submit payment, etc., etc.. Membership is currently closed until the renewal cut off in March or thereabouts.

ed

imported post

gis wrote:
They have a decent range
Agreed. I don't need my car washed or my shoes shined or my gun cleaned.. I just want a nice range thats local to me and affordable.

What do I FIND about it that's nice?
- ammo has come down in price

- they sell guns, knives and tactical clothing

- you can rent a machine gun

- very nice air handlers that suck the lead dust away from your face

- friendly staff.

gis

imported post

ed wrote:
gis wrote:
They have a decent range
Agreed. I don't need my car washed or my shoes shined or my gun cleaned.. I just want a nice range thats local to me and affordable.

- friendly staff.
Agreed, as well. What ticked me off is that on their web site and on the phone istheypromised a "Cadillac" while all they actually have is a "Chevy". All things being equal, I would rather give my money to the NRA. Actually, NRA is cheaper, especially if you are already a member.

ed

imported post

gis wrote:
ed wrote:
gis wrote:
They have a decent range

- friendly staff.
Agreed, as well. What ticked me off is that on their web site and on the phone istheypromised a "Cadillac" while all they actually have is a "Chevy". All things being equal, I would rather give my money to the NRA. Actually, NRA is cheaper, especially if you are already a member.
They will be updating theoir website within the month to show more Chevy and will also have an online store. I am a life member with the NRA but my money is better spent at VCDL. NRA has a nice range but it is not cheaper for me given the time and distance away... plus I shoot more at SEG because it is closer so I keep current a little easier as well.

gis

imported post

ed wrote:
gis wrote:
ed wrote:
gis wrote:
They have a decent range

- friendly staff.
They will be updating theoir website within the month to show more Chevy and will also have an online store. I am a life member with the NRA but my money is better spent at VCDL. NRA has a nice range but it is not cheaper for me given the time and distance away... plus I shoot more at SEG because it is closer so I keep current a little easier as well.
Agreed again. I give my money to VCDL too. :)

ufcfanvt

imported post

They finally got back to me. Looks like you only get 6 guest passes per year. I'll still join, but if anyone wants to join me a few times, they have to do a background check, join the NRA, etc, etc...
The only way I can affordably shoot out to 100 yards around here. I wish it were 200...

gis

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
They finally got back to me. Looks like you only get 6 guest passes per year. I'll still join, but if anyone wants to join me a few times, they have to do a background check, join the NRA, etc, etc...
The only way I can affordably shoot out to 100 yards around here. I wish it were 200...
I have also had a hard time getting a response from Range82 people. Was thinking of actually going out there, until last night at dinner I am talking to a guy who lives in Leesburg and he is telling me that there is a 400 yard range out that way. It is actually just across the state line in WV.

I called this morning and had a very niceconversation with Mike O'Dell who is managing the facility. They have 50, 100 and 400 yard ranges. From what I understand, they are not that busy, so you have a lot of freedom to set up scenarios that require space. He said that they have about 260 degree rangecoverage, full auto is allowed, and anything up to 50BMG. The two ways to join (1) $35 + $20/hour or (2) $300 for the year. Most of the open shooting is on weekends. On weekdays they have classes, so you have to call ahead to make sure that the range and time you want is available.

The web site is http://www.340defense.com/

It's a 45-50 minute drive for me (Range82 is about 20-25), but I think that I will join this one because of the 400, and also because they are very responsive. Mark said that it takes 5 minutes to join any time you stop by. Their hours are 9-5 Monday-Friday, 9-Dark on Saturday and 12-Dark on Sunday.