Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Think I got Cased Last night.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    Last night came home, my wife met me at the door which she usually doesn't do, and said a man (Late teens early 20's) knocked on the door soliciting his company (selling doors and windows). He asked briefly about our doors and windows. We have a large Scarlet Macaw, makes alot of noise, and he heard the bird scream. He then immediatly started asking about what type of bird she was, and was she friendly.I think my wife stated he asked about anyother animals. He never gave his company name nor did I see a car with anytype of logo.He also wore a colored blue shirt, and a pair of blue shorts with very white sneakers. Just very odd. Not your typical, salesperson attire. Carried a Small white book.

    I arrived home about 3 minutes after he went to the next house. I watched him knock on a few doors, look on the sides of some homes, peer into some of my neighbors cars.. He also skipped a few homes that people where "Obvisoulsy" home at. I then called FFX Non emergency line to report a suspicious person, and they sent out a officer. Gave a description. Just something didn't jingle right with this one.

    Anyway, this was in the Chantilly area. Stay safe.

  2. #2
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    rob99vmi04 wrote:

    I arrived home about 3 minutes after he went to the next house. I watched him knock on a few doors, look on the sides of some homes, peer into some of my neighbors cars.. He also skipped a few homes that people where "Obvisoulsy" home at. I then called FFX Non emergency line to report a suspicious person, and they sent out a officer. Gave a description. Just something didn't jingle right with this one.
    Sounds to me like you handled it well. It's reasonable to inquire about the man's legitimacy. A few ways to do that. You picked a good one.

    OTOH, it's impressivelyironic that someone would be a member of the OC community and wish to check out some ordinary schmoe trying to sell some stuff door-to-door, call the cops on him-even though he was violating no laws that the caller could see.

    He might say, after possiblybeing hassled by the local gendarmes, that you, the caller, "don't have a right to be alarmed." Or some such stuff as that....



  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    rob99vmi04 wrote:

    I arrived home about 3 minutes after he went to the next house. I watched him knock on a few doors, look on the sides of some homes, peer into some of my neighbors cars.. He also skipped a few homes that people where "Obvisoulsy" home at. I then called FFX Non emergency line to report a suspicious person, and they sent out a officer. Gave a description. Just something didn't jingle right with this one.
    OTOH, it's impressivelyironic that someone would be a member of the OC community and wish to check out some ordinary schmoe trying to sell some stuff door-to-door, call the cops on him-even though he was violating no laws that the caller could see.



    I disagree I've bought stuff of the meat trucks before, and have never had an issue. Those guys hand you pamplets, leaf lets, and cards, and have a truck. They also "Want" you to know the name of their business in order to "get the word out" to sell more theirproduct. When I came home I watched the guy for a while and the guy saw me and pretty much left our little area fairly rapidly.



  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    182

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    OTOH, it's impressively*ironic that someone would be a member of the OC community and wish to check out some ordinary schmoe trying to sell some stuff door-to-door, call the cops on him-even though he was violating no laws that the caller could see.
    I disagree. It is entirely responsible to report suspicious activity. And if this young entrepreneur did not have a solicitors licence then what he was doing was against the law. And I virtually guarantee that he did not.

    Any one inquiring into your defensive measures is not your friend. Getting details on windows may tell him what type of locks and whether they have alarm sensors. Telling him what pets you have tells him whether they will be protecting home.

    Real vendors alway want to leave information.

  5. #5
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    Not to mention there is a difference between public and private retail and then private residence. If someone I didn't know was OCing on my private residence I would also be alarmed.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    richarcm wrote:
    Not to mention there is a difference between public and private retail and then private residence. If someone I didn't know was OCing on my private residence I would also be alarmed.

    The guy was not carrying.


    HankT "OTOH, it's impressivelyironic that someone would be a member of the OC community and wish to check out some ordinary schmoe trying to sell some stuff door-to-door, call the cops on him-even though he was violating no laws that the caller could see. "


    I think he (HankT) was reffering to Why I (Rob99vmi04) was concerned about a guy trying to sell some stuff and being alarmed enough to contact the Police.

  7. #7
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    I know he wasn't carrying. I'm responding to Hanks response about reporting someone not breakng the law and how it was like reporting on legal gun owners

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    richarcm wrote:
    I know he wasn't carrying. I'm responding to Hanks response about reporting someone not breakng the law and how it was like reporting on legal gun owners
    GOTCHA!!! Sorry for the confussion.



  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,761

    Post imported post

    If they don't have a boy scout or girl scout uniform on, or the local school t-shirt, I ask about the solicitor license. Especially if they are willing to ignore ye olde "No Solicitors" sign on our front door at door bell height.....

    Not willing to leave a card or other information? You don't want my business either. I think your wife did a good job and kudos to you for the follow up. Plenty of funny business going on out here in good old Chantilly, including a murder last weekend...



  10. #10
    Regular Member TexasNative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    856

    Post imported post

    I think we're usually better off with either ignoring Hank or making fun of him. I tend to favor the latter solution. Plus, it's easy.

    ~ Boyd

  11. #11
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    TexasNative wrote:
    I think we're usually better off with either ignoring Hank or making fun of him.


    I'm lucky.
    Zeus always checks the solicitors at the gate in the Burbs.

    He lets the Mother Nature handle it at the farm.

  12. #12
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    OTOH, it's impressivelyironic that someone would be a member of the OC community and wish to check out some ordinary schmoe trying to sell some stuff door-to-door, call the cops on him-even though he was violating no laws that the caller could see.

    He might say, after possiblybeing hassled by the local gendarmes, that you, the caller, "don't have a right to be alarmed." Or some such stuff as that....

    This is the stupidest thing I've read thus far today, although, I'm sure there is at least one gem out ofConnecticut to make me lol.

    Anyone coming onto my property had better have a card to leave with their companies name on it. If I haven't heard of them, they can expect to be checked up on. If they don't have a card to leave, they are told to get the H-E-double hockey sticksoff my property!

    If he doesn't like me being alarmed at his uninvited presence on my property, he can stay away. That includes state researchers.

  13. #13
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    buster81 wrote:
    If he doesn't like me being alarmed at his uninvited presence on my property, he can stay away. That includes state researchers.
    http://www.narlo.org/images/sign.jpg
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  14. #14
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,453

    Post imported post

    Funny to see this here today. Just Saturday, I was at a friends house. He informed me that the weekend before he had called the cops on someone soliciting signatures for a reservoir petition.

    He saw this individual at a neighbors , who was not home, armed himself , and called the cops.

    My friend's contention was this fellow "looked suspicious" as his clothing and skin color did not fit in the neighborhood. He felt this guy was casing the neighborhood and his accomplices would be back after the scouting report.

    The police detained the guy for about a half an hour in the street. The female cop thought he was legit, the male cop was less sure. My friend is unapologetic.


    Edited for idiotic spelling errors.
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

    --Robert A. Heinlein

    Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

  15. #15
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586

    Post imported post

    Good job, rob99vmi04.

    Had such an individual been "canvassing" my neighborhood as you've described, s/he would have been reported to the police as "suspicious behavior" as stated on the newly posted Neighborhood Watch sign.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    182

    Post imported post

    rob99vmi04 wrote:
    I watched him knock on a few doors, look on the sides of some homes, peer into some of my neighbors cars.. He also skipped a few homes that people where "Obvisoulsy" home at.
    Hank,

    Please allow me to ask, does this not sound suspicious to you?

    Let me give you an example. You take your 6 year old daughter to the park. A man you do not know takes an interest in your daughter, watches her, takes pictures of her, tries to talk to her, asks where she lives, where she goes to kindergarten, if she sleeps on the first floor, if there is an alarm on the house. And because he hasn't actually kidnapped your child yet, you would perfectly OK with this? Not suspicious in the least? Wouldn't even think of calling the cops?

    Hank, you are a trusting soul. Maybe you would like to tell everyone here what valuables you have, where they are kept, what security measures you have in place, your alarm code, oh and when you won't be home. Hey, you don't know that anyone here has ever committed a crime. So you should trust us right? No need to be suspicious? Being suspicious would be too ironic.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    wylde007 wrote:
    buster81 wrote:
    If he doesn't like me being alarmed at his uninvited presence on my property, he can stay away. That includes state researchers.
    http://www.narlo.org/images/sign.jpg
    I have that exact sign posted at the entrance to my property and NARLO.org is where I bought it.

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran joeamt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    Fenris wrote:
    rob99vmi04 wrote:
    I watched him knock on a few doors, look on the sides of some homes, peer into some of my neighbors cars.. He also skipped a few homes that people where "Obvisoulsy" home at.
    Hank,

    Please allow me to ask, does this not sound suspicious to you?

    Let me give you an example. You take your 6 year old daughter to the park. A man you do not know takes an interest in your daughter, watches her, takes pictures of her, tries to talk to her, asks where she lives, where she goes to kindergarten, if she sleeps on the first floor, if there is an alarm on the house. And because he hasn't actually kidnapped your child yet, you would perfectly OK with this? Not suspicious in the least? Wouldn't even think of calling the cops?

    Hank, you are a trusting soul. Maybe you would like to tell everyone here what valuables you have, where they are kept, what security measures you have in place, your alarm code, oh and when you won't be home. Hey, you don't know that anyone here has ever committed a crime. So you should trust us right? No need to be suspicious? Being suspicious would be too ironic.


    Sounds like a lifelock commercial....



    My SSN is 123-45-6789



    Go ahead and TRY it!! (And they did... And suceeded!)

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    127

    Post imported post

    rob99vmi04 wrote:
    Last night came home, my wife met me at the door which she usually doesn't do, and said a man (Late teens early 20's) knocked on the door soliciting his company (selling doors and windows). He asked briefly about our doors and windows. We have a large Scarlet Macaw, makes alot of noise, and he heard the bird scream. He then immediatly started asking about what type of bird she was, and was she friendly.I think my wife stated he asked about anyother animals. He never gave his company name nor did I see a car with anytype of logo.He also wore a colored blue shirt, and a pair of blue shorts with very white sneakers. Just very odd. Not your typical, salesperson attire. Carried a Small white book.

    I arrived home about 3 minutes after he went to the next house. I watched him knock on a few doors, look on the sides of some homes, peer into some of my neighbors cars.. He also skipped a few homes that people where "Obvisoulsy" home at. I then called FFX Non emergency line to report a suspicious person, and they sent out a officer. Gave a description. Just something didn't jingle right with this one.

    Anyway, this was in the Chantilly area. Stay safe.
    Rob99 - just up the road a ways from you (Fairfax); personally, I (nor wife) will open door for folks like that. The one or two times that I have, it was with all three security measures 'at-ready.' ... one was fed properly with hollow-points, the other was mad about not getting table-scraps and the last one is generally mad with my species most of the time anyways...

    Please add door to door "security" salespersons to that list. Had a guy come by about a week ago selling home security systems; stated that neighbor just purchased from his company and is very happy - since he listed a "reference" I asked who this neighbor was - guy started stuttering about privacy concerns. I guess it didn't help matters much that I know just about everyone in the community and that I asked if he gave them one of those lawn signs... wouldn't be too difficult to figure out who "purchased" now would it...?

    With the internet, IM/PM's, text messages, etc - the door to door sales market has greatly declined - and objectively speaking, you would be really hard-pressed to make business decisions in that manner nowadays.

    Stay alert.... and safe

  20. #20
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373

    Post imported post

    In Virginia, a peddler's license is required for anyone doing house to house cold calls. The license has to be issued by the office of the Sheriff for the jurisdiction in which the home is located, which means that someone doing solicitations has to get a new license everytime they cross the county line. If they don't have it, they're committing a class one misdemeanor (12 months +$2500) just by being there. If they don't have the license (I've seen exactly one in the past thirty years) I ask them to wait on the doorstep while I go check with the Sheriff's office. Then close and lock the door.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  21. #21
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    riverrat10k wrote:
    Funny to see this here today. Just Saturday, I was at a freinds house. He informed me that the weekend before he had called the cops on someone soliciting signatures for a reservoir petition.

    He saw this individual at a neighbors , who was not home, armed himself , and called the cops.

    My freinds contention was this fellow "looked suspicious"
    as his clothing and skin color did not fit in the neighborhood. He felt this guy was casing the neighborhood and his accomplices would be back after the scouting report.

    The police detained the guy for about a half an hour in the street. The female cop thought he was legit, the male cop was less sure. My freind is unapologetic.

    This sounds, as I indicated previously, impressively ironic. As it is structurally the same event as when some law-ignorant nervous ninny calls the po-po to report an OCer walking down the street or in some retail store.

    The callers always feel justified in saying that the OCer "looks suspicious" ("not doing anything--yet!")and was possibly a criminal of some kind. Then, the officers come out (2, 3, 4,6 or more) and play twenty questionsfor a "half hour in the street"

    Ourbrother OCer is appropriately disgusted and comes here for a combination hero's welcome, gripe sessionand pity party.

    Same model for the OCer and the suspect signature solicitor/salesman. Yet we look at them quite differently...


  22. #22
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622

    Post imported post

    user wrote:
    In Virginia, a peddler's license is required for anyone doing house to house cold calls. The license has to be issued by the office of the Sheriff for the jurisdiction in which the home is located, which means that someone doing solicitations has to get a new license everytime they cross the county line. If they don't have it, they're committing a class one misdemeanor (12 months +$2500) just by being there. If they don't have the license (I've seen exactly one in the past thirty years) I ask them to wait on the doorstep while I go check with the Sheriff's office. Then close and lock the door.
    If it is not too much trouble, would appreciate a cite on this.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  23. #23
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373

    Post imported post

    Oops - they keep changing the code on me - that statute no longer exists.

    Now, it's up to a local jurisdiction to decide whether or not to require peddlers, itinerant merchants, etc., to get licensed. Here are some statutes that bear on door-to-door sales:

    § 15.2-913.
    § 15.2-1114
    § 15.2-1232.1
    § 58.1-3703.1
    § 59.1-21.4
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  24. #24
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622

    Post imported post

    user wrote:
    Oops - they keep changing the code on me - that statute no longer exists.

    Now, it's up to a local jurisdiction to decide whether or not to require peddlers, itinerant merchants, etc., to get licensed. Here are some statutes that bear on door-to-door sales:

    § 15.2-913.
    § 15.2-1114
    § 15.2-1232.1
    § 58.1-3703.1
    § 59.1-21.4
    I thought it was up to local entity, but wasn't sure. Chesterfield has such a requirement. Thanks.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  25. #25
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    user wrote:
    Oops - they keep changing the code on me - that statute no longer exists.

    Now, it's up to a local jurisdiction to decide whether or not to require peddlers, itinerant merchants, etc., to get licensed. Here are some statutes that bear on door-to-door sales:

    § 15.2-913.
    § 15.2-1114
    § 15.2-1232.1
    § 58.1-3703.1
    § 59.1-21.4
    I thought it was up to local entity, but wasn't sure. Chesterfield has such a requirement. Thanks.

    Yata hey
    Found it.

    http://www.municode.com/resources/ga...531&sid=46

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •