• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Making a secret compartment in car

Bustelo5%

imported post

Hey guys there are situations where we all have to leave our guns in the car.
I want to make a secret compartment in mine.
Where and how would you suggest doing this,that number 1 BGs who wanna break in your car wont figure out.
2.secure

I was thinking of using the speaker compartment in my drivers door since I can put the speaker plate over it.
Any Ideas?

Bustelo5%

imported post

IF a LEO has to keep his or her Piece in the car for any reason how do they secure it?

I was going to use a safe lock box with a cable but you can just cut those with blot cutters. I want to know my piece is secure.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What's Ohio case law on "secret compartments being prime fascia evidence of narcotic trafficking?

I know that if its a secret compartment nobody is supposed to know about it, but you just told the whole world you want to build one.:p

Do you have a custom auto upholstry shop in town? They can do wonders with not only creating spaces but making them difficult to see - think of some of the high-end marques' "convenience accessories" in the back bench seat, or in the front seat seatback. BMW and Mercedez-Benz have them but those are not anything like what Rolls Royce or Bentley do - look at the latter.

Let the custom upholstry shop crafta pass-thru from the rear seat to the trunk first - tell them you want to carry your skis inside instead of on the roof. After the pass-thru is installed you can install a box and framing yourself.

stay safe.

skidmark

buster81

imported post

Based on the pics I could find, I would be looking upbehind radio area, or underneath the console in the back seat. I have an acquaintance that has a custom made console section that has a fake vent in the back seat. It's very convincing and a great hide. It all depends on how much customization you want to do.

The backseat upholstery idea isn't too bad either. I hadn't thought of that one.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I think this is super important and Idcare what cops have to say about it. I dont want my Glock getting stolen from some hoodlum in Akron.I guess I could always bolt a safe to the the roof of the trunk like Keanu Reves in Street Kings lol.
All of us should put more thought on this one so we can keep our pieces safe even when we have to go to the DMV unarmed Blahhhh

I never thought of a custom upholstery shop thats a great Idea.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

In my old car I had a small safe bolted down in the trunk.
On a friend of mines car we put one in the spare tire well.
On my old pickup I mounted a holster behind the dash for convenient carrying out of sight/out of mind... I have pictured a sort of 'drop box' with a bike style cable lock to pull the box up to close/lock... dial combo and drop cable to open without having to go upside down under the dash to get your gun...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well this may not be a good choice for everyone, but here's an idea:

Remove passenger airbag, replace with a locked box of some sort, and cover with the dash piece from the airbag! I doubt any average criminal would think to try and pry open your airbag lol. You could either just have it pop in, or apply a hinge and release of some sort. It all depends on how much work you want to put into it.

DMWyatt

imported post

I don't know if it's a federal a state law, but I'm pretty certain it's a no-no to remove air bags froma vehichle equpped with such from the factory.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

DMWyatt wrote:
I don't know if it's a federal a state law, but I'm pretty certain it's a no-no to remove air bags froma vehichle equpped with such from the factory.
From what I understand through a relatively un-comprehensive google search, it is illegal for a professional mechanic to remove airbags. Whether or not the vehicle owner can do it on his own is a matter of local/state law. Eh, it was just an idea :p.

Tomahawk

imported post

DreQo wrote:
DMWyatt wrote:
From what I understand through a relatively un-comprehensive google search, it is illegal for a professional mechanic to remove airbags. Whether or not the vehicle owner can do it on his own is a matter of local/state law. Eh, it was just an idea :p.

Well, maybe it's just my libertarian acting up, but my car, my airbag, screw the stupid law. Easy to say until I get arrested, anyway!

That law must be much appreciated by the legislator's airbag-manufacturing brother-in-law.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Keep the ideas coming the more the better for everyone.

I dont think that using a lock box is really going to prevent your gun from being stolen and so my other idea was to make a compartment.

Nor do I think it is illegal seeing that if a cop asked you upon arrest where your gun is and you told him/her if your not trying to hide it then your free and clear if you didnt commit anything illegal like smuggling. I am prob wrong seeing that if hiding your weapon in a car is illegal than CC is right???j/k lol if that is the thought process

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think this is an interesting topic, because so many people 'assume' that someone who wants to do this is up to no good.

But, almost always, it is the law that forces us to leave our guns in our cars. It only makes sense that we would want to foil the BGs who are trying to steal them.

Just let us carry. Problem solved.

dshelman

imported post

Another problem with the airbag is that there are BG's that do nothing but steal airbags.They fetch a pretty pennyfrom body shops. "Whoa - bonus, dude! A gun!"

It was a good thought, though.

D

John Wolver

imported post

i like all he good ideas here. but i also think we should look at this government places and demand they put lockers in the front of their buildings, just inside where they can be monitored. then we can put them in there, take it out when leaving.

Basic Guy

imported post

I guess this all depends on how creative you are.

One idea - find a way to detatch the pocket in the driver's side door. Make a stash compartment in the door behind where the pocket attaches then re-attach the pocketwith hinges so you can access the compartment behind it. Doors are usually thick enough butcan spare enough room to stash a handgun.

Bustelo5%

imported post

If you can check your gun at court then why can you not check it at the DMV since I am so pissed off that im going to take the life of the worker or God forbid prevent a crime trying to steel the license plates he made in prison lol.
Good ideas guys I really like this topic and the more the better for everyone.

Criminal sees your fancy lock box breaks freezes shoots the cable or straight up takes the whole box without thinkning then you have ahot gun on the streets and a hot head.

I posed this question to also the people in states where you cannot pick your kids up at school armed your SOL or as I had to drop off my friend at her dorm.