Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Entering a gun range

  1. #1
    Regular Member Jblack44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    So all the times I've gone to the range. It's been a planned thing. The gun is in a case unlaoded while entering. What about the impromtu range visit? Gun on your hip, loaded? Has this been an issue for anyone? What's the protocall?
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

  2. #2
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445

    Post imported post

    Jblack44 wrote:
    So all the times I've gone to the range. It's been a planned thing. The gun is in a case unlaoded while entering. What about the impromtu range visit? Gun on your hip, loaded? Has this been an issue for anyone? What's the protocall?
    Protocol is whatever the range officer says. It will be different at most every place you go.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    My protocol tends to be shooting at the pit, other state land, or private property. This way I can avoid stupid Michigan range officers and the equally stupid range rules. Plus a lot of money can be saved this way, and I can run a few hundred yards to do some elevated heart rate speed shooting.

    It only makes sense. You aren't going to slow fire if you ever have to defend yourself. You should train as you want to perform, but private ranges here don't believe in that.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Jblack44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    Venator wrote:
    Jblack44 wrote:
    So all the times I've gone to the range. It's been a planned thing. The gun is in a case unlaoded while entering. What about the impromtu range visit? Gun on your hip, loaded? Has this been an issue for anyone? What's the protocall?
    Protocol is whatever the range officer says. It will be different at most every place you go.
    So a call ahead of time would be the way to go.....
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    The range I go to (private, NRA RSOs) doesn't really have OC rules. I had one kinda hot-headed RSO who happened to be an off-duty WMU officer who didn't think what I was doing was legal (OC'ing), but was able to give him some information which he'd "look into." Of course, he told me he'd arrest me hands down if I did it in front of him on-duty. I told him that such action would result in the loss of his job, possible jailtime (for him), and making me a very rich man. He piped down after that.

    At any rate. RSO's rules. Generally, don't touch a loaded weapon unless the range is hot. Always point the gun in a safe direction, and you should know the rest.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Springfield Smitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank goodness)
    Posts
    296

    Post imported post

    I have not had any issues at the ranges around here. I've only been to one on private property (outdoors) and one at a gun store (indoors) called Zeroed In.
    -U.S. Army Veteran (2002-2005) 11BVB4 (Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, some other stuff) SGT (E-5)
    -Public Service Professional - I've done it all: LEO, FF, and EMT
    -Certified NRA Instructor
    -CPL / CCW (whatever other acronym you can think of for carrying a concealed pistol) Instructor
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

    I am not an attorney. None of my statements should be accepted, nor are they intended to be offered, as legal advice or fact of law.

  7. #7
    Regular Member malignity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,101

    Post imported post

    Beware of Double Action; they will kick you out of the store upon entering while OCing. They're a gun store with a range in Madison Heights.

    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

  8. #8
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336

    Post imported post

    malignity wrote:
    Beware of Double Action; they will kick you out of the store upon entering while OCing. They're a gun store with a range in Madison Heights.
    And their staff walk around OC'ing! I have tried talking informally with them and most of the staff are not against OC.

    I have been considering writing a letter to the owner(s) to see if this can be changed.
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

  9. #9
    Regular Member malignity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,101

    Post imported post

    Yep. Until it does, they won't see a dime of my business.

    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Redford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    28

    Post imported post

    I had an unpleasant experience there and I wasn't even OCing. I walked in with my weapon in a case and unloaded with no magazine. Walked to the counter and waited for a minute or two and was never approached by anyone. I opened the action so it was clear to anyone that the weapon was unloaded and one of their employees came running over and had a fit. I understand the need for safety and they probably get some folks who don't understand how to properly handle weapons, but instead of explaining this calmly and settling down when he saw the weapon was empty with no ammo, he tried reading me the riot act about how I was supposed to act in his store. I then asked him if they had the holster I was looking for, and he said they did. Then I told him it was too bad that they just lost the sale on an $85 holster and walked out.

    I'm not perfect, I might have missed some sign that told me how I should have had my weapon inspected or something like that, but I don't need some rude store worker acting like a jacka$$ about it either.

    The guys at Top Gun Shooting Sports in Taylor were more than happy to promptly and courteously help me find what I was looking for.

    I have also had less than stellar service from Firing Line in Westland with just a bit too much of the "you don't know what the hell you are doing unless you are a cop" attitude.

    Firearm Exchange's range in Livonia has so far been great. I know one of the ROs there who is also a LEO. I will see what he says about OC there.


  11. #11
    Regular Member Jblack44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    InspectorGadget wrote:
    Firearm Exchange's range in Livonia has so far been great. I know one of the ROs there who is also a LEO. I will see what he say about OC there.
    That's the range that i would go to. It's on the way home from work. I did note that they do allow you to enter the range CC on there range form online. I need to clarify if it also needs to be unloaded as well.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Redford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    28

    Post imported post

    Just got home from shooting at Firearm Exchange in Livonia. I CC while loaded in there all the time with no issues. Just make sure that you are loading/unloading in your range booth. I brought up the OC issue and got a lukewarm response. So, since they know me there I am going to start OCing when I go to shoot and gauge the response. I expect that they will be OK with it as soon as they start seeing more people doing it.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157

    Post imported post

    I've had no problems with either CCing or OCing onto the range at Southside Sportsman's Club/Freedom Firearms in Battle Creek.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    538

    Post imported post

    Action Impact wants you to cover up when you go in, per a sign on the door.


  15. #15
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336

    Post imported post

    CoonDog wrote:
    Action Impact wants you to cover up when you go in, per a sign on the door.
    Do you have the text or a PIC of the sign?

    I was curious about that range and thought about going there soon...
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

  16. #16
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Michigander wrote:
    ...and I can run a few hundred yards to do some elevated heart rate speed shooting.

    It only makes sense. You aren't going to slow fire if you ever have to defend yourself. You should train as you want to perform, but private ranges here don't believe in that.
    Excellent point. The range guys do notlike fast fire, even from a revolver.

    And shooting after running is a good excercise.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Grand Blanc, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    109

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    ...and I can run a few hundred yards to do some elevated heart rate speed shooting.

    It only makes sense. You aren't going to slow fire if you ever have to defend yourself. You should train as you want to perform, but private ranges here don't believe in that.
    Excellent point. The range guys do notlike fast fire, even from a revolver.

    And shooting after running is a good excercise.
    Depends on the range. Advanced Ranges in Burton will let you draw from your holster, fast fire, do pretty much anything. I've OC'd in there without any issues too.



  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Redford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    28

    Post imported post

    Spoke to the management at Firearm Exchange in Livonia today. They confirmed that they have no problem with OC on their property. They did want me to say that they do not have an opinion on OC in the general public though (just a little CYA).


  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burton, Michigan
    Posts
    3,361

    Post imported post

    InspectorGadget wrote:
    Spoke to the management at Firearm Exchange in Livonia today. They confirmed that they have no problem with OC on their property. They did want me to say that they do not have an opinion on OC in the general public though (just a little CYA).
    I suspect it's due to LE frequenting their business/range. They may not want LE thinking they condone OC among the sheep....Politics you know. :?

  20. #20
    Regular Member Jblack44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    owner is former LEO........
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •