• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Entering a gun range

Jblack44

imported post

So all the times I've gone to the range. It's been a planned thing. The gun is in a case unlaoded while entering. What about the impromtu range visit? Gun on your hip, loaded? Has this been an issue for anyone? What's the protocall?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Jblack44 wrote:
So all the times I've gone to the range. It's been a planned thing. The gun is in a case unlaoded while entering. What about the impromtu range visit? Gun on your hip, loaded? Has this been an issue for anyone? What's the protocall?
Protocol is whatever the range officer says. It will be different at most every place you go.

Michigander

imported post

My protocol tends to be shooting at the pit, other state land, or private property. This way I can avoid stupid Michigan range officers and the equally stupid range rules. Plus a lot of money can be saved this way, and I can run a few hundred yards to do some elevated heart rate speed shooting.

It only makes sense. You aren't going to slow fire if you ever have to defend yourself. You should train as you want to perform, but private ranges here don't believe in that.

Jblack44

imported post

Venator wrote:
Jblack44 wrote:
Protocol is whatever the range officer says. It will be different at most every place you go.
So a call ahead of time would be the way to go.....

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The range I go to (private, NRA RSOs) doesn't really have OC rules. I had one kinda hot-headed RSO who happened to be an off-duty WMU officer who didn't think what I was doing was legal (OC'ing), but was able to give him some information which he'd "look into." Of course, he told me he'd arrest me hands down if I did it in front of him on-duty. I told him that such action would result in the loss of his job, possible jailtime (for him), and making me a very rich man. He piped down after that.

At any rate. RSO's rules. Generally, don't touch a loaded weapon unless the range is hot. Always point the gun in a safe direction, and you should know the rest.

malignity

imported post

Beware of Double Action; they will kick you out of the store upon entering while OCing. They're a gun store with a range in Madison Heights.

PDinDetroit

imported post

malignity wrote:
Beware of Double Action; they will kick you out of the store upon entering while OCing. They're a gun store with a range in Madison Heights.
And their staff walk around OC'ing! I have tried talking informally with them and most of the staff are not against OC.

I have been considering writing a letter to the owner(s) to see if this can be changed.

InspectorGadget

imported post

I had an unpleasant experience there and I wasn't even OCing. I walked in with my weapon in a case and unloaded with no magazine. Walked to the counter and waited for a minute or two and was never approached by anyone. I opened the action so it was clear to anyone that the weapon was unloaded and one of their employees came running over and had a fit. I understand the need for safety and they probably get some folks who don't understand how to properly handle weapons, but instead of explaining this calmly and settling down when he saw the weapon was empty with no ammo, he tried reading me the riot act about how I was supposed to act in his store. I then asked him if they had the holster I was looking for, and he said they did. Then I told him it was too bad that they just lost the sale on an $85 holster and walked out.

I'm not perfect, I might have missed some sign that told me how I should have had my weapon inspected or something like that, but I don't need some rude store worker acting like a jacka$$ about it either.

The guys at Top Gun Shooting Sports in Taylor were more than happy to promptly and courteously help me find what I was looking for.

I have also had less than stellar service from Firing Line in Westland with just a bit too much of the "you don't know what the hell you are doing unless you are a cop" attitude.

Firearm Exchange's range in Livonia has so far been great. I know one of the ROs there who is also a LEO. I will see what he says about OC there.

Jblack44

imported post

InspectorGadget wrote:
Firearm Exchange's range in Livonia has so far been great. I know one of the ROs there who is also a LEO. I will see what he say about OC there.
That's the range that i would go to. It's on the way home from work. I did note that they do allow you to enter the range CC on there range form online. I need to clarify if it also needs to be unloaded as well.

InspectorGadget

imported post

Just got home from shooting at Firearm Exchange in Livonia. I CC while loaded in there all the time with no issues. Just make sure that you are loading/unloading in your range booth. I brought up the OC issue and got a lukewarm response. So, since they know me there I am going to start OCing when I go to shoot and gauge the response. I expect that they will be OK with it as soon as they start seeing more people doing it.

PDinDetroit

imported post

CoonDog wrote:
Action Impact wants you to cover up when you go in, per a sign on the door.
Do you have the text or a PIC of the sign?

I was curious about that range and thought about going there soon...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Michigander wrote:
...and I can run a few hundred yards to do some elevated heart rate speed shooting.

It only makes sense. You aren't going to slow fire if you ever have to defend yourself. You should train as you want to perform, but private ranges here don't believe in that.

Excellent point. The range guys do notlike fast fire, even from a revolver.

And shooting after running is a good excercise.

astrogiblet

imported post

HankT wrote:
Michigander wrote:
...and I can run a few hundred yards to do some elevated heart rate speed shooting.

Excellent point. The range guys do notlike fast fire, even from a revolver.

And shooting after running is a good excercise.

Depends on the range. Advanced Ranges in Burton will let you draw from your holster, fast fire, do pretty much anything. I've OC'd in there without any issues too.

InspectorGadget

imported post

Spoke to the management at Firearm Exchange in Livonia today. They confirmed that they have no problem with OC on their property. They did want me to say that they do not have an opinion on OC in the general public though (just a little CYA).

SpringerXDacp

imported post

InspectorGadget wrote:
Spoke to the management at Firearm Exchange in Livonia today. They confirmed that they have no problem with OC on their property. They did want me to say that they do not have an opinion on OC in the general public though (just a little CYA).
I suspect it's due to LE frequenting their business/range. They may not want LE thinking they condone OC among the sheep....Politics you know. :?