• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in your own place of business

Hendu024

imported post

A friend of mine was talking about carrying concealed in his store after a recent incident. I of course told him about OC, and he isn't comfortable with that yet, so he wants to CC. I was told here and there that it's legal to CC in your own place of business without a CC permit, but I can't find anything to verify that. Help please?

BzBeretta

imported post

Howdy!

Good question, I am not a lawyer but ill give you my two cents.

First thing is does he own the store. does the business belong to him?
Is it a private business or run in conjunction with state or federal intervention?

If he owns the store he can have a gun wherever he may choose in the store. its considered private property and can be treated like a home.

If he doesnt own the store but knows the Owner of the property and building and has explicit permission from the owner to have a fire arm in the store then i would say that is also perfectly legal.

Not sure if i helped at all, again im no lawyer so take it with a grain of salt.

Look up : State of Maine Castle Doctrine (Stand your Ground Law)

It may be covered in there

BzBeretta

Hendu024

imported post

BzBeretta wrote:
Howdy!

Good question, I am not a lawyer but ill give you my two cents.

First thing is does he own the store. does the business belong to him?
Is it a private business or run in conjunction with state or federal intervention?

If he owns the store he can have a gun wherever he may choose in the store. its considered private property and can be treated like a home.

If he doesnt own the store but knows the Owner of the property and building and has explicit permission from the owner to have a fire arm in the store then i would say that is also perfectly legal.

Not sure if i helped at all, again im no lawyer so take it with a grain of salt.

Look up : State of Maine Castle Doctrine (Stand your Ground Law)

It may be covered in there

BzBeretta
He does own the business, it is a private business, but he rents the property. So he would have to get written permission from the owner of the property? And does that mean he could carry it on his person concealed while in the store?

BzBeretta

imported post

No need for written permission, id run it by the property owner. i dont see why there would be any reason to decline possession of a firearm for defense purposes. and yes concealed would be legal seeing as how he owns the business. its the same idea as renting an apartment. if your in your apartment and have a gun in your pocket your fine because its your "castle" as referred to by the state. you can do whatever you want. but as soon as you step out side onto the property of the owner of the building you better have a permit if you want it concealed.

GL

Hendu024

imported post

BzBeretta wrote:
No need for written permission, id run it by the property owner. i dont see why there would be any reason to decline possession of a firearm for defense purposes. and yes concealed would be legal seeing as how he owns the business. its the same idea as renting an apartment. if your in your apartment and have a gun in your pocket your fine because its your "castle" as referred to by the state. you can do whatever you want. but as soon as you step out side onto the property of the owner of the building you better have a permit if you want it concealed.

GL
That is exactly that scenario that I thought it was, but I wanted to make sure. Is there a specific cite for this, or does the castle doctrine just apply to this as well?

BzBeretta

imported post

Castle refers to any place or property which is rented or owned and the defending person has the right to be. Your friend has no law that i can find restricting him from carrying his gun concealed inside his business without a permit.

just remember to tell him not to take it in the car when he goes home. big no no :) heheh

Hope i helped man.