• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Challenged

uskrusader

imported post

First encounter with an off-duty officer while OCing

Monday, 24 August 2009 at 1330hrs.

My family and I went to Hopeville Pond in Griswold to check out a new beach and go for a swim. After a few hours, we lured the children out of water with the promise of ice cream at nearby Buttonwood Farms. While driving to Buttonwood Farms I decided to Open Carry and I put my S&W 442 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster on my belt.

We arrived in the parking lot. My wife and I extracted our two young children from their car seats and we proceeded together to the ice cream take-out window. I did not expect any issues at Buttonwood Farms because of its country setting and since it was Monday. There were very few people there (perhaps no more than 15 customers and employees).

After we received our ice creams we moved off to the side and prepared to make our way to a nearby picnic table. Suddenly, a young woman walked past us towards the window and asked for a straw… in passing the woman turned to me and stated:

Her:
“You forgot to leave your gun in the car”.

Me:
A little surprised I turned to her “ahh…no I didn’t, it's legal”

Her:
“It’s illegal in CT” (with attitude)

Me:
“No, its not”

Her:
“Yes it is, I know, I’m a cop. You could be arrested for it (clearly with attitude and loud enough that other customers can now hear)

Me:
“Its not in the statutes”

Her:
“OK” (as to shrug me off like I’m an idiot who won’t listen) She then walked past me towards where she was sitting with a friend and some kids.

Me:
Louder: “Excuse me ma’am, you can check out ccdl.us for information on…/ (She turns, cuts me off)

Her:
with some civility: “I know all about you guys…I know it’s us against you” …she then turned and left.

I’m left standing there with my family …burning at the arrogance and ignorance of her public challenge to my LEGAL right to open carry. I took my family to the other end of the picnic area with our ice creams in hand…and there I gathered my wits…remembering the 2 documents in my wallet that state that Open Carry is legal….(Sadly I forgot to bring my CCDL business cards).

I decided to approach her with the documents in hand.

Me: “Excuse me ma’am” (she was in conversation with a friend)

“I’m sorry, I don’t mean to interrupt or to be confrontational but I carry these two documents in my wallet just in case there could be such a misunderstanding as this when people carry openly.”

Her attitude seemed to disappear.

I then showed her the two documents from the commissioner of DPS and the OLR report that both state that open carry is not illegal. I explained that there was an attempt to mandate concealment last February by the state government, but that it failed. I told her about CCDL…and again she stated she knew all about us and had friends who carry….(but I have my doubts about her CCDL knowledge).

She looked the documents over….then said “That’s fine, but I’m telling you people in my town get in trouble for this”. I informed her that no one has lost their permits since the Goldman case….I’m not sure if she knew what I was talking about. She replied: “I didn’t say they lost their permits.”

I closed our conversation with basic pleasantries. “Hope you and your friends have a great day“….she responded politely and I think I left her on good terms. I wish I could have been a fly in her ice cream to hear the conversation that followed.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

GREAT JOB JAY !!!!! You kept you cool as you always do!!!!

It is a shame that after all that you explained to her and everything you said, it probably fell on deaf ears.

I think if she was a LEO (not sure, since no ID was presented) off duty or not with that kind of attitude she would have called the local PD to pursue the matter further.

Whether she was or not at least you showed another resident of CT that it IS legal for OC.

And the comment about leaving in the car??? I am not sure on the law with that. I only disarm when entering Post Offices and Government buildings. Even doing that I am always fearful of someone doing a B&E on my car and getting my carry weapon Du Jour.

Again a say great job on your handling of the situation!!!!

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

fatcat46 wrote:
Great job!! Where can I get a copy of the DPS and OLR documents you carry?
This is from the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1838&Q=418126&PM=1

This is a letter from the CT DPS

http://www.ourrockyhill.com/To%20Judge%20in%20Declaratory%20Case/159.Dananher%20on%20Ambiguity.pdf

The last paragraph is where the Commissioner of Public Safety, states and I quote

" It is not currently specifically stated in the statues that a person carrying a pistol on his or her person shall conceal it"

If the commissioner of the DPS says that it is not the law then it must NOT be the law!!!!

Since Jay showed us these, they have been in my wallet ever since!! Thanks Jay!!

GoldCoaster

imported post

If the underlying feeling with LEO's is "you guys are against us" then we are going to have an uphill battle. What they don't seem to comprehend is that we are only against them when they violate our rights. Treat us like free individuals and you'll get nothing but respect back.

I wonder how many of Stratfords finest will swarm our picnic?

Edward Peruta

imported post

VERY VERY Very Politely inform anyone who makes the comment that you should leave your weapon in the car:

"IT'S A PERMIT TO CARRY NOT A PERMIT TO LEAVE BEHIND"

Countless individuals have had their weapons stolen and permits revoked because they left their weapons iunsecured and unattended in their car becausethey had a mistaken belief thatit was the law.

As stated previously, I carry openly ona regular basis, and have had many comments of which only one boardered on being negative.

I have had more positive comments and find myself involved in many educational conversations with other permit holders because I do carry openly.

I carry openly like it's no big deal, and answer questions the same way.

Many law enforcement personnel are still learning, and it shouldn't be long before it's no big deal to everyone.

Andria

imported post

:D I am so proud of you!, for keeping a calm and cool manner, and being so polite. I wish all of us could do that. It is so important when defending your point/case.

uskrusader

imported post

Andria wrote:
:D I am so proud of you!, for keeping a calm and cool manner, and being so polite. I wish all of us could do that. It is so important when defending your point/case.

Mommy?!Is that you? On OC?? :shock:

(Uh oh, Ibetter watch what I post now) :uhoh:

:cool:

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

uskrusader wrote:
Andria wrote:

Mommy?!Is that you? On OC?? :shock:

(Uh oh, Ibetter watch what I post now) :uhoh:

:cool:
OK!! So who told uskrusader's mother about our secret hang out place????? LOL!!!

Welcome aboard Andria!!!!!!