• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

i'm new here

hmdefence69

imported post

i just wanted to say hello and check out the sight with my husband to get info on oregon stat laws for carrying my weapon thank you.

hmdefence69

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If your so inclined to get a permit, you can go almost anywhere legally in the state with a few exceptions. I would just read up on the laws for yourself. They are pretty straight forward.

Did you have any specific questions?

Ironbar

imported post

What you need to do is get this book:

uoglcover002.jpg

It has all the info you need. Also, check out the sticky threadin this forum about which cities in Oregon ban open carry (without a CC permit that is). I think between the book and that thread, you'll have everything you need to know about carrying a gun in Oregon.

P.S. Surprisingly enough, you CAN carry a concealed weapon into public school buildings and grounds with a valid CCW permit.

Autonym

imported post

I'd like to reiterate everything said so far:

1. Welcome - we take all kinds here.

2. Definitely read up on the laws before you start carrying - either openly (as we advocate) or concealed. The above-mentioned book is great, and a good on-line reference is https://www.oregonlaws.org

3. Even if you aren't considering concealed carry, having a Concealed Handgun License permits you to do many things that you would otherwise be cited for, such as:
a) Open carry in Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Salem, Dallas, Independence, and other cities that have banned loaded open carry.
b) Open (or concealed) carry in public schools and Federal Parks.
I for one strongly recommend you apply for one as soon as possible. Some people here would disagree, however - they feel the 2nd Amendment gives them the right to carry without requiring any other permit issued by a lower authority.

These people probably won't pay your bail or fine, however, if you get arrested for doing something that the state and local law enforcement say requires a CHL. Maybe they would pay your bail, though, I don't know. I know I'm not going to try and find out. My CHL should arrive in a few weeks.
The people here span the entire spectrum of firearm aficionados - both Republicans and Democrats, from Law Enforcement Officers (LEO's) to Cop Haters, and everywhere in between. The discussions can get quite lively at times.

What brings this group together is a love of firearms and freedom, and a sense of urgency to protect both. If you are concerned about keeping our right to bear arms, you're more than welcome here.

JBURGII

imported post

Hi guys! Welcome, I told you this site is a great place.

James

We-the-People

imported post

Ironbar wrote:
P.S. Surprisingly enough, you CAN carry a concealed weapon into public school buildings and grounds with a valid CCW permit.

Actually it's LEGAL to even carry it openly onto school grounds with a CHL in your pocket (Oregon calls them CHL). Of course LEGAL doesn't always mean SMART.

I can see the headlines now.

So, while open and concealled carry can be done just about anywhere, please do apply some common sense to where you carry, particularly openly. It would be entirely anti productive to have someone, though legal with a CHL, openly carry onto some K-12 school with the resultant lockdown, police action, headlines, etc.

EDIT ADDED - Now a police station might be fun!

JBURGII

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
Ironbar wrote:

EDIT ADDED - Now a police station might be fun!
EVERY time I have to walk into my local PD, which is just across the street.. they look at my hip..

"Are you armed?" every time... sigh..

Now, I have the PD over to my rental units 1-2 times a week usually and most of the officers are pretty good about my sidearm. I have one there though who feels he must ask me every time if I have my permit yet. I reply every time with "Open carry is legal with no permit." to which he says, "I know."

So why does he feel the need to ask?

I had two officers come into the house 'hot' last week, tasers at ready when this same officer had to stop and make sure I was not carrying. After a year of working with this dept., you would think I would have at least garnered a minimum of respect or trust.

I have been away a while and its nice to be back, missed chatting with everyone!

Rev. Jim