• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Boat

richarcm

imported post

My friend and coworker is going to take us on his boat in Mt. Vernon (VA) to a restaurant in MD. What are the complexities of OCing throughout this trip?

Impossible?

Discuss.

kenny

imported post

Once you depart the dock/beachyou are in Maryland. Years ago the boundary was decided that way. That is also why you are able to gambling just off shore in Colonial Beach.

I suspect Maryland laws apply.

virginiatuck

imported post

I think you're SoL. Don't do it if you don't have a Maryland carry permit. If Maryland catches you, then you will be arrested and charged.

The State border on the Potomac is the southern/western low-water-mark of the river. Technically, if the river is high enough, you can float on the Potomac and still be within Virginia's border.

I started a thread, RBA by Citizens of Virginia on the Potomac River, a while ago that pertains to the rights of Virginians on the Potomac river due to the Compact of 1785 and the Black-Jenkins Award. While I still think there may be something there, it's not clear and would certainly take a court battle to decide.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Not a good idea. Sadly, you will have to be unarmed for the voyage unless you have a Maryland permit. You aren't very likely to be boarded, but it is a possibility.

jadedone4

imported post

... please make sure it doesn't turn into a "threeeee hour toooour" and you are stranded in Maryland with the Professor and MaryAnn, the Movie Star....

As others here have posted the VA boundary line (on the Potomac waters) ends at the low-water mark (+/- 36inches); so do not carry on a boat, unless you have a Maryland permit.

TFred

imported post

kenny wrote:
Once you depart the dock/beachyou are in Maryland. Years ago the boundary was decided that way. That is also why you are able to gambling just off shore in Colonial Beach.

I suspect Maryland laws apply.
As I understand it, you are in Maryland as soon as you are standing over water, or where water would be at normal low tide. That is why there are bar-type establishments built on pilings in the Potomac.

I have heard stories of bar fights breaking out in Colonial Beach, but it takes the deputies about an hour to respond from Maryland, since they have to come down 301, cross the bridge, then head down to Colonial Beach.

I suppose that makes it low risk to OC in the bar itself (as long as you don't stay more than an hour or so), but... you never know there might be a deputy on the way over for some other reason before you got there.

TFred

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I hadn't given that much thought until now. I guess there is ONE "bar" remaining in Colonial Beach. Its in Maryland and you can't OC there. Riverboat on the Potomac seems to have pretty good ratings and is the only one remaining in Colonial Beach that is in Maryland.

"Back in the day" there were a lot of them and they all had gambling and pretty rowdy clientele because (as previously mentioned) LEO's had to (and still do) come from Maryland. I wonder if they've given any VA LEO's jurisdiction through an MOU. Looking at the town's website, it doesn't say anything about the "Riverboat"

TFred

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I hadn't given that much thought until now. I guess there is ONE "bar" remaining in Colonial Beach. Its in Maryland and you can't OC there. Riverboat on the Potomac seems to have pretty good ratings and is the only one remaining in Colonial Beach that is in Maryland.

"Back in the day" there were a lot of them and they all had gambling and pretty rowdy clientele because (as previously mentioned) LEO's had to (and still do) come from Maryland. I wonder if they've given any VA LEO's jurisdiction through an MOU. Looking at the town's website, it doesn't say anything about the "Riverboat"
A picture is worth a few words at least... :)

http://maps.google.com/?ll=38.253351,-76.961321&t=h&z=18

I don't know about any MOUs, but remember, once the fight spills out into the parking lot, you're fair game for the Virginia boys.

TFred

MSC 45ACP

imported post

TFred, that's the same pic I saw on Google Earth while I wrote my post. I didn't see any other places on the river side of town, just the marinas safely in Virginia waters on Monroe Creek (the west side of town).

I've been into Colonial Beach several times over the years. I was stationed at St. Inigoes, MD off the St. Mary's River near Point Lookout in the 80's. Before that, I sailed down the river from DC to Norfolk. There's a LOT of history worth exploring on both sides of the Potomac River from Pt. Lookout all the way to Harpers Ferry and further...

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Other than the fact that the Maryland/Virginia line is in the wrong place on the map. If you look only half of the building is in Maryland, half is on the beach.

Been a while since I have been in there but as I recall there is a way to tell which state you are in. VA lottery is sold in VA side and MD on MD side. Kinda like the Border Stationat the VA/NC line on Rt. 168.

kennys

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
You can OC in a boat

You can OC in a moat

You can OC with your goat

You can OC without your coat

You can OC without your coat, and your goat, in a boat in a moat.

You cannot OC in MD

without a Maryland CHP
I really like green eggs and Virginia ham.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
You can OC in a boat

You can OC in a moat

You can OC with your goat

You can OC without your coat

You can OC without your coat, and your goat, in a boat in a moat.

You cannot OC in MD

without a Maryland CHP

Now THAT's funny, right there!

Mike