• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LVMPD mandatory training on OC

Vegassteve

imported post

Merlin wrote:
RE: the training video

While I can certainly appreciate the progress made with PIO, I see no justifiable reason to keep such a thing confidential. Tim, you've seen it. What's the justification?

I agree. It seems as a public servent they can not keep things like that from us. I could be wrong though.

Merlin

imported post

I can agree that certain strategic things about SWAT operations, etc, would benefit the public to be "less than available". So that is the real question. Who does it benefit from keeping it secret? Personally, I think this is exactly the kind of thing that should be public. But again, I will wait to hear from Tim, since he is definitely one of us, and wouldn't let it stay secret unless there was a good reason.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

It is just my opinion, but I think the blue card is a "tool" to check you out further, and if you are from out of state as prophetwas, or don't have yours on you. You will be threatened as I wasalong with several others on this thread. here is prophets story and he lives no where near Clark County and it became his issue big time

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum36/31436.htmlme.

I apologize I got my threads mixed up. wrong topic

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This particular training has nothing in it that warrants it being a secret. I did give them my word to not disclose the contents of the training, and in the spirit of hopefully improving the relationship between lawful open carriers and the police, I won't go back on my word -- and I was only really allowed limited note-taking anyway. The only things I wrote down were the court cases, which I posted above.

The reason they cited for requesting it remain private was that they don't want bad guys to learn their procedures. They gave an example that thugs may just start open carrying if they knew that it was not only legal, but not sufficient justification for police to stop them. This training discussed no formal police handling procedures but simply reiterated

That being said, we make no effort to hide that fact and discuss it openly. Any criminals that may read this forum already know it. And they also know that even though police aren't allowed to stop you for OC alone, it happens anyway. So I'm guessing any of those criminals would continue to do what they do because OC draws attention to activities they want to keep a little more covert.

I won't disclose the contents because I gave them my word, but I'm happy to file the NRS 239 request to demand it's public release if you all want it. My personal opinion is that it contains nothing more than we already know -- the gun alone is not enough reason to do anything more than a consensual encounter in which you are free to leave.

Tim