• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger sr9

Bartuzafella

imported post

I would like to here from someone who has shot or own the ruger sr9, and what they like or dislike about the fire arm. Also if they think it would be a good choice for oc or cc. I only ask because There is a sr9 ss which means ithas a black stainless steel finish and is being sold at a really good price. Any thoughts would be useful.

Thanks

Myrighttocarry

imported post

I've shot one, Racer and his father own a pair I believe. Very slim, good looking handgun, shot well too. Let's see if he can chime in on this.

mekender

imported post

I have one with well over 2500 rounds through it... it shoots better than i do, and ive run several matches with it...

it open carries nicely in a fobus HK-1... i have yet to get a CC holster that i like for it, i think it is because the grip is so long...

personally, even with all of the issues they have had with them, it is a great gun... i trust mine with my life...

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Seems like a decent gun, but I would recommend thinking it over before you purchase one because of the recalls they've had. But Ruger has always made good guns, so I'm sure they're get the problems figured out.

kohburn

imported post

dng wrote:
Seems like a decent gun, but I would recommend thinking it over before you purchase one because of the recalls they've had. But Ruger has always made good guns, so I'm sure they're get the problems figured out.

all of rugers recalls have been self imposed

infact for mose recalls i can think of the reason given for the recall (may discharge when dropped) could not even be duplicated in independant tests.

basicly no need, but they did it anyways.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

kohburn wrote:
dng wrote:

infact for mose recalls i can think of the reason given for the recall (may discharge when dropped) could not even be duplicated in independant tests.

+1 to Ruger for doing so. Just thought it might be a good idea to get any issues taken care of before purchasing one.

mekender

imported post

dng wrote:
kohburn wrote:
dng wrote:

+1 to Ruger for doing so. Just thought it might be a good idea to get any issues taken care of before purchasing one.

correct, i have been closely watching the issues and have yet to see someone actually say that they had the failure happen to them... so far as anyone can tell, this is something they had happen during internal testing and not in the field...

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Myrighttocarry wrote:
I've shot one, Racer and his father own a pair I believe. Very slim, good looking handgun, shot well too. Let's see if he can chime in on this.
I shot Racer X's and thought highly of it. It is a well designed pistol, and it won't break the bank.

Racer X

imported post

Looks like you guys covered the main points. For the money I think it's a great 9mm semi-auto. It's easy to shoot, comfortable, easy to clean, cheap. The rear sight is adjustable for height and windage. Ambidextrous mag release and safety. There are a few things that people feel the need to harp on. 1st, don't ever dry fire a brand new one and judge the trigger by that. The trigger will feel like absolute crap until you put a few boxes of ammo through it. After that it's on par with most other pistols in it's category and a good polishing of the trigger bits can do wonders from what I hear. It took a while for me to get used to the sights. I was much more accurate with my friend's Glock up until recently when I started getting used to the SR9 sights. I'm patiently waiting for an aftermarket night sight setup to become available. That is really the only thing I'll be upgrading on this gun. The Ruger forums have a few threads about the barrel peening where the slide hits it. I haven't seen any issue with that on mine or my Dad's. What really sold me on this gun was how comfortable it was to shoot over and over again. It just felt right in my hand and it didn't fatigue my hand/arm after shooting a hundred straight rounds through it. The operation of the gun just felt smoother...much smoother than the XD I tried.

It will be a tough gun to CC in the hot weather wearing just a T-shirt mainly due to the length of the grip. I carry mine OC pretty much 24/7 with the Serpa Level II holster that just became available for it. It is a little sensitive to limp wristed shooters. I can shoot it all day and never have a failure. Hand it to my girlfriend and she'll stovepipe every 5th round.

My friend has a Glock 19 which is pretty close to the SR9, but the SR holds an extra round and the Glock is just butt ugly.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

Racer X wrote:
My friend has a Glock 19 which is pretty close to the SR9, but the SR holds an extra round and the Glock is just butt ugly.
How dare you Racer, my gumby guns are beautiful.

I actually just bought a 19 to go with my 30.

But you heard it from a man that owns one, if he trust his life to it... I think they are good to go.