• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Grocery stores

mbgreite

imported post

Is it legal to Open Carry in grocery stores that sell alcohol?

I go to Whole Foods all the time and eat and drink a beer. I guess that means you can not carry in there right?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
Depends on what state you are in. In my state it is legal. In some it may not be.
Washington State (OC or CC) it is legal to carry in the liquor stores, grocery stores, restaurants that serve alcohol (you can even order alcohol while eating your meal). You are only restricted in places off-limits to 21 and under (bars / taverns / etc).

shad0wfax

imported post

mbgreite wrote:

I go to Whole Foods all the time and eat and drink a beer. I guess that means you can not carry in there right?

I think the states that restrict firearmsnear alcohol normally tend to do so where alcohol is sold for consumption on site. Obviously, you'll need to verify this with your state's specific laws.

Try going to the section of the forums called Stories from the States and go to your state and pose the question there. They'll have the laws at their fingertips or even off the top of their heads.

r6-rider

imported post

iv never had a problem. but its not illegal and no one usually cares anyways down here

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I know NM has a problem with it. You can't carry in any place that sells alcohol, period. Even if not for consumption. Dumb.

Xader

imported post

ixtow wrote:
Michigander wrote:
Regardless of what state I'm in, if I was drinking, my gun would be locked up. Just sayin. :uhoh:
Who said anything about that?
Seriously. Every time I buy milk, I'm in a store that sells alcohol...

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

mbgreite wrote:

Do NOT drink while carrying, period!!!

Woodchuck

imported post

I carry grocery shopping all the time.

Our State Statute says

941.237 Possession in taverns.. (2) Whoever intentionally goes armed with a handgun on any premises for which a Class "B" or "Class B" license or permit has been issued under ch. 125 is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Including restaurants that serve alcohol.

And from the Dept of Revenue we get this

Class "B" fermented malt beverage licenses allow retail sale of fermented malt beverages (beer) for consumption on or off the premises. Examples: restaurants, "beer bars."

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ian wrote:
mbgreite wrote:

Do NOT drink while carrying, period!!!
Why not?

I would advise not to get drunk while carrying, but drinking. . . go right ahead.

Marco

imported post

WHY carry at the gropcery store, "Zane Michael Floyd" !

Things can go bad quickly anywhere.

ETA:

On June 3, 1999, at approximately 5:15 in the morning, Floyd entered an Albertson's supermarket in Las Vegas, Nevada and opened fire on random individuals within the store with a shotgun. Wearing Marine Corps camouflage and with a shaved head, Floyd picked his victims at will in a calm manner.

He shot Thomas Darnell in the back twice, killing him. Immediately after, Floyd also killed Carlos Chuck Leos and Dennis Troy Sargeant. Floyd then encountered ZacharyT. Emenegger, who fled Floyd when he saw the gunman pointing the shotgun in his direction. Diving under a produce table, Emenegger avoided Floyd's gunfire for 15 seconds before succumbing to gunshots from Floyd's shotgun.

Floyd then shot Emenegger again. He searched the store and found Lucille Alice Tarantino in the rear. He shot her in the head at point-blank range and killed her. Floyd then walked back to Emenegger, who pretended to be dead. Floyd whispered "yeah, you're dead" to Emenegger, and exited the store. In total, Floyd had shot seven shotgun shells, killing four people and critically wounding another. Floyd was out of the supermarket in seven minutes.

He surrendered when he encountered police outside after a brief standoff.