• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped in Warren today.

lechwe

imported post

I bet if you had the picnic and then a dozen or so folks open carrying walked down the street to get ice-cream would get their attention. I wonder how they would handle that with a reporter right there to cover it.

Sorry that happened to you. Good luck tomorrow.

Haman J.T.

imported post

dougwg wrote:
ITHINK WE SHOULD ALL CALL THEM STARTING TOMORROW, EVERYTIME WE OPEN CARRY.

Whether we are in Warren or not. ;)

[size=+1]Warren Police Department[/size]
[size=-1]29900 S Civic Center Blvd[/size]
[size=-1]Warren, MI 48093-2386[/size]
[size=-1](586) 574-4700‎
[/size]
I thought about some kind of mass contact. I think if we were to all call regularly and tell them that we were told to by the officers that stopped Jeff Haman at 2:30pm on 8/25/09 near 12 mile% Hoover at gunpoint! How's that sound? Considering I.ve OCed all over the area daily as I told them!

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Maybe we could picket the police station?

Then at a certain time, everyone just split....walk, in different directions, spread out all over the city.

In the mean time, Yes, contact the FBI!

Assult and battery, feloneous assault, violation of the 1st, 2nd and 4th.

Tomorrow you need to make a Freedom of Information Act request and ask for:

1) Any and all officers field notes, records, reports, video and audio recordings,
2) Any and all 911 calls
3) Any and all formal and informal complaints

Anything else anyonecan think of?

Haman J.T.

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
hamaneggs wrote:
warlockmatized wrote:
Contact Commissioner Dwyer DIRECTLY and voice what took place. He himself KNOWS the deal and the legality of OC since attending last years Warren picnic. I would remind him of his own words.....Warren Police Commissioner William Dwyer said Wednesday his department is aware of Saturday's picnic. "We don't believe there are going to be any problems. We feel they certainly have a right to do what they're doing," he said. I think he needs a little reminder! :banghead:

I would contact Norb Franz and Christy Strawser at the Macomb Daily newspaper and relay your story. They are the ones that covered last years picnic.
I sure have alot of people to contact RG! Good thing I'm retired! Good to hear from you!
When you get some time shoot ME a call please. My cell is still the same Michigan number.
Will do!

maldog

imported post

dougwg wrote:
ITHINK WE SHOULD ALL CALL THEM STARTING TOMORROW, EVERYTIME WE OPEN CARRY.

Whether we are in Warren or not. ;)

[size=+1]Warren Police Department[/size]
[size=-1]29900 S Civic Center Blvd[/size]
[size=-1]Warren, MI 48093-2386[/size]
[size=-1](586) 574-4700‎
[/size]

I think a thousand of us should call tomorrow and tell them "I will be leaving my house and OC" and hang up !

Thats a BS STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
Seriuosly?

I'm not joking. They pulled A GUN ON YOU. Not only that, you were manhandled.

The officer(s) that pulled a gun could face up to 10 years in federal prison for this crime.

The remainder of the officers involved face 1 year in federal prison for this crime.

YOU ARE A VICTIM of police brutality. Don't forget this.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
hamaneggs wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
Seriuosly?

I'm not joking. They pulled A GUN ON YOU. Not only that, you were manhandled.

The officer(s) that pulled a gun could face up to 10 years in federal prison for this crime.

The remainder of the officers involved face 1 year in federal prison for this crime.

YOU ARE A VICTIM of police brutality. Don't forget this.
I agree contact them.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

dougwg wrote:
SNIP Tomorrow you need to make a Freedom of Information Act request and ask for:

1) Any and all officers field notes, records, reports, video and audio recordings,
2) Any and all 911 calls

That could be a really, really, expensive FOIA response. I am assuming he would have to pay for the records search and production time. It needs to be limited to his encounter.

Here are some suggestions for writing a police FOIA:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=28661&forum_id=54

Also, I would not go down to the police station. You are under no obligation to follow their process. Its your 1st Amendment right to petition for redress of grievances. Police seem to like having things done verbally, which also means there is no record.

I might first recommend deciding on whether to take it up with the FBI or a lawsuit. If you decide not to pursue those avenues, then make a formal written complaint. Get some help by Private Message from members here regarding citing various court cases, editing, formatting, and soforthif you need it. Of course, you may be able to get a formal complaint started while pursuing the other avenues; I do not know how a formal complaint would or wouldn't affect the legal process.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

dougwg wrote:
Of course he would limit it to his encounter by Name, Date, Time and if known, LEOs name and/or badge number.
What threw me was that last item about any and all formal or informal complaints. I took it to mean against the officers or the entire department. Thanks for setting me straight.

Haman J.T.

imported post

Citizen wrote:
dougwg wrote:
SNIP Tomorrow you need to make a Freedom of Information Act request and ask for:

2) Any and all 911 calls

That could be a really, really, expensive FOIA response. I am assuming he would have to pay for the records search and production time. It needs to be limited to his encounter.

Here are some suggestions for writing a police FOIA:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=28661&forum_id=54

Also, I would not go down to the police station. You are under no obligation to follow their process. Its your 1st Amendment right to petition for redress of grievances. Police seem to like having things done verbally, which also means there is no record.

I might first recommend deciding on whether to take it up with the FBI or a lawsuit. If you decide not to pursue those avenues, then make a formal written complaint. Get some help by Private Message from members here regarding citing various court cases, editing, formatting, and soforthif you need it. Of course, you may be able to get a formal complaint started while pursuing the other avenues; I do not know how a formal complaint would or wouldn't affect the legal process.
Cash is certainly an issue!

conservative85

imported post

Not to discount the for said event, Maybe before we do our protest calls, or picket the station lets wait for the FOIA. Then we can all organize our phone calls, and talk about a picket demonstration in front of the station. Tho we have a right to peacable assembly, we may want to get all our ducks in a row.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
Why not delete that post. And PM a knowledgeable person in your area for assistance, keeping your strategy off the open forum so as not to alert police.

autosurgeon

imported post

These guys are unbelievable! What do they not have enough to keep them busy? They need a dressing down for sure! There is no reason for the drawn gun unless you are threatening them or another citezen!!

Oh and I wonder if the state police would be interested in investigating this? They seem to do investigations of other departments for misconduct sometimes?? If not them then the FBI for sure... Like I have said before nothing like a FED shoving a periscope up there Hiney to get em to fly right.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Okay, I suggest wesettle down a bit and not blindly jump into this. I have been burned before. MOC is working on this. I have PMed the OP poster and asked him to call me and have advised him of a few options. After I talk with him I will contact the Warren Chief and try to get this straighted out.

If what has been described is true then he has a very good case of a civil rights violation. The Warren PD and the Chief know that OC is legal and if they have decided to handle single OCers in an unlawful way then this needs to be corrected.