• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Land Between The Lakes

FLMason

imported post

The Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area is a United States National Recreation Area located in Kentucky and Tennessee between Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake. The area was designated a national recreation area by President John F. Kennedy in 1963. The recreation area was originally managed by the Tennessee Valley Authority but jurisdiction has since been transferred to the United States Forest Service.

Does this make it the same as a national forest and not a park ? I saw on handgunlaws.com that they thought it was under the Army Corp of Eng. Does anyone know if we can carry therenow or whether park carry that takes effect in 2010 will cover it .

langzaiguy

imported post

I really wish that I could provide a citation for my belief. I know I've researched this in the past and came up with it being legal. I routinely carry in Red River Gorge which is also a National Forest. I'm also curious to see if anyone else can find a citation.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

You can get a bunch of TVA info from the thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=27623&forum_id=25

TVA email response. You can read my request in the PDF.

Smith, Charles Robin <crsmith@tva.gov>
to m1gunr@gmail.com
cc TVAINFO <tvainfo@tva.gov>
date Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 4:01 PM
subject Re: Weapons on TVA lands

Mr. Starks,
This message is In response to your e-mail received July 6, 2009.
In general, firearms are prohibited on TVA property, whether carried openly or concealed. At the entrance to many TVA properties, signs are posted to give notice that firearms are prohibited at that site.
If I or my staff can be of further assistance, you may contact me at 865-632-4061.

Charles R. Smith
Commander, TVA Police
Eastern District Operations
Knoxville, TN

Attachment: TVA-weapons.pdf

The commander has yet to respond to my request I sent on July 6th, 2009.
Mr Smith,By what authority is this ban on weapons and what laws would one be breaking by carrying a weapon into these recreation areas?

Manzanita

imported post

FLMason's thread in the Tennessee section has some interesting information. For this thread, it may be useful to point out that TVA turned over management of LBL to the US Forest Service in the mid 90's. TVA still owns the shoreline below a certain elevation and several large wilderness areas along both the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers.

For TVA property, I live near Kentucky Lake. My property borders hundreds of acres of TVA owned wilderness area. There are several such areas along the Tennessee River that, for some reason, TVA acquired during construction of the dams.

I don't think their firearms restriction applies to the completely undeveloped wilderness areas. I haven't asked them directly but I have spoken to TVA Water Patrol officers down in the wilderness area close to the shoreline while carrying and they've never even acted like they noticed. We have several trails on our property that pass over into the TVA area. Besides hunting it, I hike it often during the winter months when the bugs are gone and I'm always carrying, usually open, sometimes even a rifle (coyote season is year-round in KY)... much to the dismay of at least one coyote. This is not LBL, though.

My own personal experience at LBL that is gun related is I used to frequently use the firearms range there - still do, just not as often as I used to. A fellow gun guy and friend is in charge of the safety office there. I have spoken to USFS police on occasion at the range and found them to be very gun-friendly. That said, due to their official policy, I would not open-carry there. It's a pretty vast wilderness area, though, and as crazy as people are today I wouldn't hesitate to very discreetly CC.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

FLMason's thread in the Tennessee section has some interesting information. For this thread, it may be useful to point out that TVA turned over management of LBL to the US Forest Service in the mid 90's.
Land Between the Lakes is a National Recreation Area controlled by the US Forest Service (http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/map/state_list.shtml#Kentucky)

Since the USFS controls the lands then the only person that can restrict weapons is the Regional Forester or Forest Supervisor of Region 8. This I know from my letters to the USFS about lands in Oregon and Washington (Region 6).

Both state and federal laws apply on National Forest System lands, so you also need to check on the state laws and county ordinances which may apply to the area you will be visiting. The only regulations specific to use of weapons imposed by the Forest Service is that you cannot discharge a weapon within 150 yards of any structure/development or occupied area, within or into a cave, across or on a road or body of water, or in any manner that endangers a person. You also cannot use any tracer or incendiary ammunition. Forest Service regulations require that you also comply with all State laws regarding the use of firearms while hunting."

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Walkeraviator wrote:
I have a feeling that forest service laws are geared more towards preventing poaching than pacifying the brady crowd.
If one were to contact the Regional Office and get the answer directly from them it would clarify the matter. The Forest Service generally follows state law in these matters (at least here in WA & OR) and if that is the case then weapons would be allowed per Kentucky's state law.

FLMason

imported post

Thanks for all the input I am taking a Motorcycle ride tomorrow and will be on the road between the lakes not stopping just riding I guess as long as I don't stop I should be OK