• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great MSNBC article on open carry

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

...The White House, hoping to allay fears of a security threat, has said that people are entitled to carry weapons outside such events if local laws allow it. "Those laws don't change when the president comes to your state or locality," spokesman Robert Gibbs said... --Mike Stuckey

Gibbs probably heard what happened at the Manassas and Norfolk City Council meetings; he didn't want his press room filled with 100-150 angry VCDL members.

:D

Hendu024

imported post

Yeah, that map is not exactly accurate. It says that Maine allows OC with exceptions, and Mass. allows OC period. It also says MD allows it as well. That will be the day... But then again, it was a decent article for MSNBC. I thought they maintained a pretty neutral position.

richarcm

imported post

"Third Way’s Kessler said that despite last year’s landmark Heller ruling by the Supreme Court that upheld individual rights to own guns, “There is no constitutional right to carry a firearm. This is not even close on the constitutional scale — I have a right to carry a firearm wherever I go — it’s just not.”

Right to KEEP and BEAR arms? Am I missing something?

TFred

imported post

From the "Hot Topic" forum thread on the article... I guess I am a little more skeptical.

TFred

TFred wrote:
Worth the read, but I don't think this article was any favor to us.

MSNBC has a very liberal audience, and they wrote this article to that audience, with the purpose of "showing them" what the "crazies" are up to, and how "weird" we think.

I believe another major purpose for the article was to paint the pro-gun folks to be in-fighting on this issue, and to present the anti-gun folks, as well as the anti-OC pro-gun folks, as the cooler minds of reason.

Maybe I'm wrong, I guess you can make that call.

I will say one thing though:

'I think the gun lobby is starting to lose its clout,' Helmke said.
That Helmke dude is one heck of an optimist! :)

TFred

nova

imported post

richarcm wrote:
"Third Way’s Kessler said that despite last year’s landmark Heller ruling by the Supreme Court that upheld individual rights to own guns, “There is no constitutional right to carry a firearm. This is not even close on the constitutional scale — I have a right to carry a firearm wherever I go — it’s just not.”

what a moran.

MirkoCrocop

imported post

richarcm wrote:

I SWEAR! He knows damn well that it protects our right to carry, that turncoat just wont admit it. Its about as dumb as "well it depends on what is, is."

the bill of rights is meant to be taken at face value, it is not to be interpreted, but read exactly at face value for what it says. Why would the founding fathers write thebill of rightsto where you had to "read between the lines" to understand it? Common logic would dictate they'd write in the most simple way to understand it so as to get the message across without having to decode and interpret it lest we lose the complete meaning of the amendments!!!