• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carried

dwayner79

imported post

After our conversations earlier, and a convenient trip to the store by myself (my wife is not sure on the wisdom of OC) I decided I would go for it.

I went to the Stop and Shop (Exit 25 from 84) and the BJ's. I noticed a few people notice. Most people, I realize, are very unobservant.

I was wearing some khaki shorts, a polo shirt, and my xd40 in a serpa retention holster. Shirt was untucked, but between the gun and my side.

All in all a very uneventful trip, just like we want it. Now I have to go tell my wife ;-) .

dwayner79

imported post

It is kinda disturbing how little people pay attention.

Even before I carried, but certainly after, I size up everyone I pass. It only takes a second to look for bulges or to check their attire, and make a judgement call on how "dangerous" they appear. If that is profiling, then I am guilty.

But well over half the people I walked passed I could watch and see that they did not see a full size firearm on my side. That amazes me.

I chickened out on telling my wife. I posted something on Facebook, and will let her see it there. I can now muster the courage to carry a firearm openly, but I can't face my wife... what does that tell you ;-) .

Idontownone

imported post

No, it is kind of disturbing that you yahoo's actually tried to push the envelope with this whole carry thing. I suspect you probably all got wood over the entire stupid demonstration.

You are exactly the type of gun-owners who people are concerned about and yes, likely scared about. You are also the type of gun owners who are going to blow the whole thing for all of the rest of the not-so-dumb gun owners.

Typical over-the-top demonstration from those who are lacking in other areas of their lives.

grimstar

imported post

To the OP, congratulations on your first steps. I too find it amazing just how many people do not seem to notice at all, when you open carry. These days, I am even more pleasantly amazed at how many people do notice, but don't seem to care. Keep up the good work, you will find it gets easier the more you do it.

To idontownone, I can only quote this... I think the first three lines are the most appropriate in this case.

Grimstar

The Doctrine of the Three Percent. We will not disarm.

You cannot convince us.

You cannot intimidate us.

You can try to kill us, if you think you can.

But remember, we'll shoot back.

And we are not going away.

Your move.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Idontownone wrote:
No, it is kind of disturbing that you yahoo's actually tried to push the envelope with this whole carry thing. I suspect you probably all got wood over the entire stupid demonstration.

You are exactly the type of gun-owners who people are concerned about and yes, likely scared about. You are also the type of gun owners who are going to blow the whole thing for all of the rest of the not-so-dumb gun owners.

Typical over-the-top demonstration from those who are lacking in other areas of their lives.
Haha, I think it's more telling about how YOU get all excited about exposed hard guns, I'm guessing you're the one that popped a woodie over it, and yet guns scare you.. a forbidden love.

I'm thinking perhaps you have enough missing from your life that you need to fire the first shot against those that are more confident and fulfilled than you are.

Do you ever leave your parents basement?

Idontownone

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
Idontownone wrote:

Haha, I think it's more telling about how YOU get all excited about exposed hard guns, I'm guessing you're the one that popped a woodie over it, and yet guns scare you.. a forbidden love.

I'm thinking perhaps you have enough missing from your life that you need to fire the first shot against those that are more confident and fulfilled than you are.

No, guns don't give me wood but I do know they give most of you wood and for all of the wrong reasons.

And no, guns don't scare me in the least. It is the unknown character, agenda and motives of the individuals who feel compelled to carry and display one for no good reason, which concerns me. It is the availability of the weapon which concerns me.

Deep down, I think most gun owners want a reason to use their weapon. Demonstrate their control over the situation. It seems like you are just asking for trouble or maybe even deep down - wanting trouble to find you?

It is the "Dirty Harry wanna-be" who made these commentswhich concerns me:

"I size everyone up to see if they are packing"
“I look at everyone to see if they have a bulge"
"I check everyone out to see how dangerous they appear??" WTF???

What a way to go through life. Talk about compensating for something.

And right on cue and oh-so true-to-form. You did not disappoint. Comments which include shooting someone overA2!It is exactly that mentality which will eventually cause even more gun control. One state at a time.

Same with theOC issue. Pushing it in this manner is going to hurt your cause. This is what the public expects from gun nuts and you are so willing to comply.

You think you are gaining something? Well, it will backfire. The more the general public sees weapons in everyday life being carried by some wanna-be,the more gun control you are going to cause.

Your beloved NRA is mute on the subject. They won't even back you on OC. Must be a message there, don't you think?

I draw the line atOC. Own a gun for personal protection, fine with me. Own traditional hunting weapons…fine with me. But to display for no good reason at the friggin grocery store willnever lead to anything good at all.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Haha... well by your own admission and the fact that you registered to this forum that you must be getting some perverse troll pleasure from adding your 2 cents worth.

You don't know me, you don't know anyone on this group yet you seem very willing to tell everyone we are all "Dirty Harry Wannabee's" unlike you I've met people from this group and none of the people I've met are nuts. In fact they are some of the most polite conservative and friendly people you'd run into. You won't know that though because you've made up your mind that everyone on this site (with the exception of your almighty self) are somehow deficient.

I know I shouldn't bait the trolls, but really, how you can spout what you spout without one iota of proof to back anything up shows you to be just an angry little boy that has access to a computer.

dwayner79

imported post

Even before I carried, but certainly after, I size up everyone I pass. It only takes a second to look for bulges or to check their attire, and make a judgement call on how "dangerous" they appear. If that is profiling, then I am guilty.

I find it humorous, that you changed my words to fit you profile of me. You do not know me sir. What I am describing above is simple observation. I notice people all around me. I do not walk around scared, I simply notice. Always have. Knowing I am carrying (normally concealed), I think it is my duty to be mindful of my surroundings for the express purpose of avoiding an incursion if possible. So what exactly do you think I am compensating for? Besides being childishly inflammatory, that makes no sense? If you are saying I am compensating for a lack in physical strength, well, then yes. I suppose that is true. I want a level playing field if I am approached. But I do not understand how my being observant while I walk around in public is compensating for anything.

I have a wife, and 2 kids. I want to do everything possible to keep them, and me safe. I certainly do not go looking for trouble, but if trouble finds me, I expect to be prepared.

As to OC, there is no statistical evidence stating it increases your chances of a problem. And those of us who choose to do so to make a political point are exercising a right. We are not fly off the wall nut-jobs that you seem to think.

I think we can all do without the wood comments. They are not productive. As are the strawmen. So, Idontownone, if you are interested in a real discussion, then lets have it. Otherwise, I think I will bow out of a pissing match. I have no need or desire to participate in one.

MGoduto

imported post

Idontownone wrote:

First of all, congrats to dwayner79on his uneventful OC-ing. Keep up the good work!

Idont: here, in the great state of Connecticut, there is nothing in state law that requires concealing of a lawfully-carried sidearm. Nor is there anything in state law that prohibits 'open-carry' of the lawfully-carried sidearm. So, both concealed-carry and open-carry are legal to do in Connecticut. Is 'open-carry' a common sight? No, not yet, but we're working on it.

I find myselfsplit about 50-50 between the two carry options, and in each case my conduct is legal and peaceable.

I am not a 'yahoo', nor am I 'pushing the envelope' and I don't get 'wood' when I open-carry.I have been approached bypeople (who think in most cases that I'm an off-duty cop) and when they find out I'm notI use the encounter to gentlyeducate them about the law, and point them towards resources that can answer their questions. Folks like me, and others who open-carry, are doing nothing more than what the law allows. And my life is quite good.

Name-calling and making suggestive/snide remarksdoesn't enhance your credibility.It justincludes you in the seething mass of gun-grabbers.

atrule

imported post

I'll answer my personal reason to OC to “Idontownone”. I suspect it is a common belief among posters here (and yes, I have met some of them at the CCDL meeting):

An Armed Society is a Polite Society.

I personally would like to see a more polite society (this includes respecting peoples’ Rights, Responsibilities and Liberties among other things). I believe an armed people would help to achieve that. I believe it would make people more thoughtful. I can say this: meeting fellow gun owners; they are very much more thoughtful about self-defense and other issues about engaging other people in civil discourse.

I also am very much a liberal (in today's political discourse I might be called a classical liberal) who believes in the democratic notion that the common man could and should be very much involved with any and all workings of society. This includes self-defense, and the defense of others, whether it be from threats foreign (and this is were the militia comes in. According to the Connecticut General Statutes, I belong to the ‘unorganized militia’) or domestic (the Connecticut Constitution states: Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.) It is part of the Great Liberal Tradition that any human being, the individual, be allowed to live life the way he sees fit, making whatever wise or foolish decisions of his own, so long as he doesn’t hurt others.

The above is my major motivating factor for chusing to be armed while I am in public places.

Hef

imported post

Idontownone wrote:
GoldCoaster wrote:
Idontownone wrote:

No, guns don't give me wood but I do know they give most of you wood and for all of the wrong reasons.

And no, guns don't scare me in the least. It is the unknown character, agenda and motives of the individuals who feel compelled to carry and display one for no good reason, which concerns me. It is the availability of the weapon which concerns me.

Deep down, I think most gun owners want a reason to use their weapon. Demonstrate their control over the situation. It seems like you are just asking for trouble or maybe even deep down - wanting trouble to find you?

It is the "Dirty Harry wanna-be" who made these commentswhich concerns me:

What a way to go through life. Talk about compensating for something.

And right on cue and oh-so true-to-form. You did not disappoint. Comments which include shooting someone overA2!It is exactly that mentality which will eventually cause even more gun control. One state at a time.

Same with theOC issue. Pushing it in this manner is going to hurt your cause. This is what the public expects from gun nuts and you are so willing to comply.

You think you are gaining something? Well, it will backfire. The more the general public sees weapons in everyday life being carried by some wanna-be,the more gun control you are going to cause.

Your beloved NRA is mute on the subject. They won't even back you on OC. Must be a message there, don't you think?

I draw the line atOC. Own a gun for personal protection, fine with me. Own traditional hunting weapons…fine with me. But to display for no good reason at the friggin grocery store willnever lead to anything good at all.
Wow, you sure is smart. Golly. You knows all this stuff about me and we done never met er nuthin'. I reckon I'll just quit them thar internets and stick to fishin'.

:quirky

wrightme

imported post

Idontownone wrote:

Just like in the OP, DAILY in the United States, OC at grocery stores leads to a big solid nothing happened to anyone.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

atrule wrote:
I'll answer my personal reason to OC to “Idontownone”. I suspect it is a common belief among posters here (and yes, I have met some of them at the CCDL meeting):

An Armed Society is a Polite Society.

I personally would like to see a more polite society (this includes respecting peoples’ Rights, Responsibilities and Liberties among other things). I believe an armed people would help to achieve that. I believe it would make people more thoughtful. I can say this: meeting fellow gun owners; they are very much more thoughtful about self-defense and other issues about engaging other people in civil discourse.

I also am very much a liberal (in today's political discourse I might be called a classical liberal) who believes in the democratic notion that the common man could and should be very much involved with any and all workings of society. This includes self-defense, and the defense of others, whether it be from threats foreign (and this is were the militia comes in. According to the Connecticut General Statutes, I belong to the ‘unorganized militia’) or domestic (the Connecticut Constitution states: Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.) It is part of the Great Liberal Tradition that any human being, the individual, be allowed to live life the way he sees fit, making whatever wise or foolish decisions of his own, so long as he doesn’t hurt others.

The above is my major motivating factor for chusing to be armed while I am in public places.

Very Well put!!!!! I am really Impressed!!!!!! I knew we had other libs in the CCDL.

Our firearms rights should always cross the political lines. OUR RIGHTS ARE OUR RIGHTS, no matter what political beliefs that you might have.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

wrightme wrote:
Idontownone wrote:

Just like in the OP, DAILY in the United States, OC at grocery stores leads to a big solid nothing happened to anyone.

Well actually... an OC'r at a neighborhood 'grocery' (convienience store) in Richmond, VA recently took out the bad guy when the bad guy entered and immediately shot the owner who was behind the counter. The OC'r was carrying a SAA repro 1860 Colt .44 (not a good choice) but put 3 rounds into the bad guy before he could shoot anyone else.

I've been goin' to the same Fryes store for 4 years (armed) 'n haven't had to think about it... 'cept once last year there was some homeless nut in the parkin' lot botherin' folks. I just backed up the store security guy 'n let him handle it 'til the PD showed up. My main concern is traversing the 18 miles of desert (one way) to get there. Being armed is a comfort.

wrightme

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
wrightme wrote:
Idontownone wrote:

Well actually... an OC'r at a neighborhood 'grocery' (convienience store) in Richmond, VA recently took out the bad guy when the bad guy entered and immediately shot the owner who was behind the counter. The OC'r was carrying a SAA repro 1860 Colt .44 (not a good choice) but put 3 rounds into the bad guy before he could shoot anyone else.

I've been goin' to the same Fryes store for 4 years (armed) 'n haven't had to think about it... 'cept once last year there was some homeless nut in the parkin' lot botherin' folks. I just backed up the store security guy 'n let him handle it 'til the PD showed up. My main concern is traversing the 18 miles of desert (one way) to get there. Being armed is a comfort.
Good point. At least it is full refutation of the post I responded to. It led to something good happening.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Actually a funny thread.

Idont seems to get off on pain - his real and ours imagined, Oh well, that's life. Next.

Yata hey