• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns near Obama fuel ‘open-carry’ debate

Glock27Bill

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
9MM Owner wrote:
YES, but the guy who took an Assualt Rifle was really pushing it.
PLEASE learn the proper nomenclature forguns and gun parts... Since we're on the subject, I wonder how many people understand the difference between a "CLIP" and a "MAGAZINE". A clip is a bare piece of metal with no moving parts. An M-1 Garand uses a CLIP that holds 8 rounds. A Magazine has moving parts which include a spring and a follower. Some of them have removable base plates that make them easier to take apart for cleaning. CLIPS are also used to hold ammunition prior to being loaded into a gun.
<rant over>

Fixed it for ya. :D

Crash7795

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
PLEASE learn the proper nomenclature forguns and gun parts... Since we're on the subject, I wonder how many people understand the difference between a "CLIP" and a "MAGAZINE". A clip is a bare piece of metal with no moving parts. An M-1 Garand uses a CLIP that holds 8 rounds. A Magazine has moving parts which include a spring and a follower. Some of them have removable base plates that make them easier to take apart for cleaning. CLIPS are also used to hold ammunition prior to being loaded into a gun.
<rant over>

Fixed it for ya. :D

Hey, now. This is one of those "old dogs, new tricks" kind of deals...and he's government 'trained' (coughcoughcough...brainwashed!) to boot.

Forgive him, father, he knows not what he does....

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Better go back to school there, boys... a "gun" is actually a CANNON. Small arms are .50 cal and below (including machine guns). Above .50 cal is "Minor caliber GUNS" up to and including 40mm. Major Caliber GUNS start at 3" & 76mm cannons and go up from there. I used to work on major caliber GUNS including 3" 50 cal, 76mm 62 cal, and 5" 38 cal.

How many of you know what the "caliber" means on GUNS (not small arms)?

Answer on next post... :D

Semper Paratus!

msc

MSC 45ACP

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
No takers? I thought there were some ordnance-types around here... Stay Tuned...

Okay, since no one wanted to try their Google-Fu (or most of you frankly don't give a chit about anything bigger than small arms), here's the answer: In Major Caliber guns, the "caliber" is the length of the barrel, not the inside diameter... Not so fast... It is the number in the "caliber MULTIPLIED by the bore diameter. The 76mm / 62 caliber has a barrel length of4,712 mm long or 15.46' long (including chamber). The 5" 38 cal is 15.83' long while the 3" 50 cal is 12.5' long.

Those that like BIG GUNS may know what size the cannons in the triple turrets are on the Iowa-class battleships, and maybe even thesize of the guns on theother LARGE cannons in WW2. Hint: The Japanese had the largest naval gunsused during the war.

OOPS... I'm REALLY OT,huh? I wonder if Osamabama's people wouldmake sure the guns on the USS WISCONSIN were unloaded/decommissioned if he came to downtown Norfolk? Unloaded? Most definitely. Completely decommissioned? Not bloody likely. She'sSTILL listed in the Reserve Fleet and "subject to recall during time of war", but that's about as likely as me getting recalled from retirement to active duty again, and "Slim" just left town!

Semper Paratus

msc

Tomahawk

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
No takers? I thought there were some ordnance-types around here... Stay Tuned...

Okay, since no one wanted to try their Google-Fu (or most of you frankly don't give a chit about anything bigger than small arms), here's the answer: In Major Caliber guns, the "caliber" is the length of the barrel, not the inside diameter... Not so fast... It is the number in the "caliber MULTIPLIED by the bore diameter. The 76mm / 62 caliber has a barrel length of4,712 mm long or 15.46' long (including chamber). The 5" 38 cal is 15.83' long while the 3" 50 cal is 12.5' long.

Those that like BIG GUNS may know what size the cannons in the triple turrets are on the Iowa-class battleships, and maybe even thesize of the guns on theother LARGE cannons in WW2. Hint: The Japanese had the largest naval gunsused during the war.

OOPS... I'm REALLY OT,huh? I wonder if Osamabama's people wouldmake sure the guns on the USS WISCONSIN were unloaded/decommissioned if he came to downtown Norfolk? Unloaded? Most definitely. Completely decommissioned? Not bloody likely. She'sSTILL listed in the Reserve Fleet and "subject to recall during time of war", but that's about as likely as me getting recalled from retirement to active duty again, and "Slim" just left town!

Semper Paratus

msc

Actually, the calibre of a gun barrel is the bore diameter.The lengths ofartillery pieces, especially ship-mounted weapons, are measured in "calibers".

So a Five-inch 38 gun is a gun with a 5" bore, and whose length is 38 calibers long, or 5 x 38 inches.