• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns near Obama fuel ‘open-carry’ debate

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Lie2me

imported post

ed wrote:
9MM Owner wrote:
YES, but the guy who took an Assualt Rifle was really pushing it.
I disagree. A right is a right.
+1. This crap from the anti's just makes it more clear that they are acting out of emotion versus considering logic, facts, and ultimately intent. While we don't know the exact reasons that these folks personally are OC'ing, they clearly were exercising their RIGHTS. The reason does not matter.

This crap about racism, etc. is such a cheap and lazy argument too. It really sickens and saddensme that some of my fellow citizens are this ignorant.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

9MM Owner wrote:

GRRRR!!!!!

That was NOT an assault RIFLE!!!
I wish people would learn what an assault rifle is... ESPECIALLY someone that OWNS FIREARMS!

An assault rifle is FULLY AUTOMATIC. You need to have a CLASS 3 LICENSE to own an ASSAULT RIFLE. There are some SEMI-automatic rifles that are SIMILAR to assault rifles, but they are NOT fully automatic. I own an AK-47 RIFLE that is NOT an assault rifle because it isn't fully automatic like a machine gun. The M1A is a semi-auto version of the fully automatic M14. The AR 15 is the semi-auto version of the M16. There are "shorty" versions called M4's. Some are semi-auto, some have 3-round burst capability and some have a fully-auto setting.

PLEASE learn the proper nomenclature for weapons and weapons parts... Since we're on the subject, I wonder how many people understand the difference between a "CLIP" and a "MAGAZINE". A clip is a bare piece of metal with no moving parts. An M-1 Garand uses a CLIP that holds 8 rounds. A Magazine has moving parts which include a spring and a follower. Some of them have removable base plates that make them easier to take apart for cleaning. CLIPS are also used to hold ammunition prior to being loaded into a weapon. "Stripper Clips" like the 1903 Springfield uses hold 5 rounds and fit into a bracket on the receiver, and with the bolt open, you push the rounds down into the non-removable magazine of the rifle and discard (or keep) the ammunition clip. I've never seen a pistol with a clip. Lots of rifles use clips of ammuntion that can be loaded into removable magazines (like the M-16/AR-15 family) or rifles with internal magzines (SKS).

<rant over>

gis

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
9MM Owner wrote:

GRRRR!!!!!

I wish people would learn what an assault rifle is... ESPECIALLY someone that OWNS FIREARMS!
I call them BATTLE RIFLES. The semantics are irrelevant. Calling anything an assault rifle only plays into the hads of the anti-gunners.

Tomahawk

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
9MM Owner wrote:

GRRRR!!!!!

Take a pill, already. I don't care what they call it. It's a rifle and you can assault people with it.

And keeping and bearing it is a right.

Allan Gottlieb's comments in that article really pissed me off.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
9MM Owner wrote:

GRRRR!!!!!

An assault rifle is FULLY AUTOMATIC. You need to have a CLASS 3 LICENSE to own an ASSAULT RIFLE. There are some SEMI-automatic rifles that are SIMILAR to assault rifles, but they are NOT fully automatic. I own an AK-47 RIFLE that is NOT an assault rifle because it isn't fully automatic like a machine gun. The M1A is a semi-auto version of the fully automatic M14. The AR 15 is the semi-auto version of the M16. There are "shorty" versions called M4's. Some are semi-auto, some have 3-round burst capability and some have a fully-auto setting.

PLEASE learn the proper nomenclature for weapons and weapons parts... Since we're on the subject, I wonder how many people understand the difference between a "CLIP" and a "MAGAZINE". A clip is a bare piece of metal with no moving parts. An M-1 Garand uses a CLIP that holds 8 rounds. A Magazine has moving parts which include a spring and a follower. Some of them have removable base plates that make them easier to take apart for cleaning. CLIPS are also used to hold ammunition prior to being loaded into a weapon. "Stripper Clips" like the 1903 Springfield uses hold 5 rounds and fit into a bracket on the receiver, and with the bolt open, you push the rounds down into the non-removable magazine of the rifle and discard (or keep) the ammunition clip. I've never seen a pistol with a clip. Lots of rifles use clips of ammuntion that can be loaded into removable magazines (like the M-16/AR-15 family) or rifles with internal magzines (SKS).

<rant over>

Man I could not agree withyou more about this. I really irritates me to no end to hear gun people, who of all people should know better, to call semi-automatic rifles, "assault rifles". Doing this plays in the hands of the anti's and we have Josh Sugarman to thank for it all.

So people, know your terms! Magazines are not clips. A round of ammunition is not a bullet. And AR15's are not assault rifles.

Marco

imported post

Doing so with a gun strapped on sends a “very mixed message,” said Pierce.

[line]
What message is that??
That I'm a gun owner with opinions about other things.

Should I leave it to the local PD to protect me at these events because I have a difference of opinion??
Or
Should I just stay home and leave the politically process to others??

Howdoes it differ from someone open carrying as a political statement daily??
Imho, it doesn't.

ETA:

Flame away

nova

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Doing so with a gun strapped on sends a “very mixed message,” said Pierce.

[line]
What message is that??
That I'm a gun owner with opinions about other things.

Should I leave it to the local PD to protect me at these events because I have a difference of opinion??
Or
Should I just stay home and leave the politically process to others??

Howdoes it differ from someone open carrying as a political statement daily??
Imho, it doesn't.

ETA:

Flame away

You won't get any flames from me.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
I've never seen a pistol with a clip.

Yes you have! Did you forget about the "Broomhandle Mauser" C96?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_C96:p

Ya got me, Brother. I DID forget about the old clip-loaded Broomhandle. They're funky lookin, but they sure did the job in their day. They were quite popular with Chinese Nationalists.

Was good to finally meet you at that picnic a few months back. We'll have to get to the range one of these days! I've got a whole box of TransTar I targets (reduced silhouettes). Gotta get rid of em before they fade, right?

Semper Paratus!

Mike

nova

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
ed wrote:
9MM Owner wrote:
I disagree. A right is a right.
And Ed, let's not forget that the right was meant to put politicians in fear....
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

-Thomas Jefferson