• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns near Obama fuel ‘open-carry’ debate

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

638Fitta wrote:

Question

Is it appropriate for gun-rights activists to openly carry their weapons near a presidential event?

• Yes. Law-abiding citizens should be able to do whatever is legal.
  • No. It's needlessly provocative and could be dangerous.

I dunno. I don't like the dichotomy.

I think it's mandatory for citizens to be able to do whatever is legal (e.g., carry a gun, any gun) but I also think it is needlessly provocative to carry an AR-15 close to a presidential event. How close? I dunno. Not too close and not too far.

Maybe we could have a special section at presidential events (close by) for all the guys who want to sling a rifle or openly carry a handgun.

Hmmm, is it legal to open carry an automatic rifle, say, an M-16?
39.gif

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
I think it's mandatory for citizens to be able to do whatever is legal
I was with you till that point... after that it got all jibberish

You think it's OK to OC an AR near the president's event? Why?

How about an M-16?

NoHadji

imported post

100%!!! The POTUS is just a person and the Constitution applies to every individual with the same weight. It is pathetic that people would actually think that it should not apply in this situation.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

You think it's OK to OC an AR near the president's event? Why? How about an M-16?
I don't care if it's a flintlock, percussion, revolver, semi-auto, or full auto, if its legal to do so, carry on. The Secret Service has said time and time again that as long as that person is outside of the security zone and its legal to do so, they don't have a problem with it. Why should I?

Remember some state do allow ownership of fully auto weapons. Those weapons are able to be carried legally during a person's day to day business. Now, would I carry an AR or AK at an event as that guy did? No, but as long as its legal and someone has the balls to do it, go for it.

Maybe you want me to dress up in "Period Dress" with a flintlock and a pair of muskets to promote my 2A rights?

neuroblades

imported post

This is a potentially dangerous borderline issue. I am Pro-OC, I am Pro-CC, I believe fully and whole-heartedly in the 2nd Admen. as well but I have to admit, just as there are places we can not carry either OC or CC (courthouses, banks, schools (K-12), hospitals)), there are places that I have to agree, we should really ponder and this my friends is one of them.

There have even been times when the Secret Service has disarmed Federal law enforcement for the possible protection of the POTUS, it was done at least once under the Bush Admin., for what reason though I don't know.

To say though that NO ONE can carry either OC or CC, if legal, within the area the POTUS is visiting is foolish but to restrict the area to the POTUS immediate location is reasonable.

8th ID

imported post

This past Sunday the Lexington Herald-Leader published a letter to the Editor in which a woman wrote that the man who OC'd the AR was an 'armed thug.' She went on to say that she couldn't understand why the Secret Service allowed him to carry an 'assualt weapon that could shoot through buildings and kill people inside.'

THAT is what we're up against! The sheep know nothing beyond what they see in the media and what the media feeds them. Make no mistake, the Media is in control. I believe that law abiding citizens should be able to carry any weapon they choose any place they choose. BUT is carrying an AR to a presidential rally really helping the cause? Because we all know how that was covered and how it will always be covered.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
You think it's OK to OC an AR near the president's event? Why? How about an M-16?
I don't care if it's a flintlock, percussion, revolver, semi-auto, or full auto, if its legal to do so, carry on. The Secret Service has said time and time again that as long as that person is outside of the security zone and its legal to do so, they don't have a problem with it. Why should I?

Remember some state do allow ownership of fully auto weapons. Those weapons are able to be carried legally during a person's day to day business. Now, would I carry an AR or AK at an event as that guy did? No, but as long as its legal and someone has the balls to do it, go for it.

Looking at the above posts, I don't think we disagree.

I guess it comes down to the big "R."