Thread: CC in a restuarant/bar question

Post imported post

A friend's band plays weekends at Va. restuarant/bar and I OC with no real problems but the owner did ask if I could CC to prevent someone (after having to much) from trying something stupid. I know that OC is legal but was curious if it would legal if the establishment's owner requested me to CC. I do have a CWP.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

9MM Owner wrote:
    A friend's band plays weekends at Va. restuarant/bar and I OC with no real problems but the owner did ask if I could CC to prevent someone (after having to much) from trying something stupid. I know that OC is legal but was curious if it would legal if the establishment's owner requested me to CC. I do have a CWP.
    If he decided to employ you for the night, you could. Also.. if you are in VA and have a VA permit, it is a CHP not a CWP.

Welcome to OCDO.

Ed

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

I ain't no lawyer, but it sounds like the owner is asking you to break the law, perhaps by not knowing any better. Just b/c he owns the place he can't change the code of va. I understand his "intent" for asking you to do this, but he won't be paying for fines or doing your jail time if you were to get caught. The law is the law.

Welcome to the board!

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    9MM Owner wrote:
    If he decided to employ you for the night, you could. Also.. if you are in VA and have a VA permit, it is a CHP not a CWP.

Welcome to OCDO.

Ed

Thanks Ed,

I wasn't sure but knew if I asked here I'd get the right response. Wasn't there something going around about allowing CC?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

9MM Owner wrote:
    ed wrote:
    9MM Owner wrote:

Welcome to OCDO.

Ed

Thanks Ed,

I wasn't sure but knew if I asked here I'd get the right response. Wasn't there something going around about allowing CC?
    Yep.. but it didnt pass.. It should next year if when we get a new gov in office.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Lie2me wrote:
    I ain't no lawyer, but it sounds like the owner is asking you to break the law, perhaps by not knowing any better. Just b/c he owns the place he can't change the code of va. I understand his "intent" for asking you to do this, but he won't be paying for fines or doing your jail time if you were to get caught. The law is the law.

Welcome to the board!
    Ed is correct. If the owner employs you, even for the evening, and you have a valid CHP, you CAN CC in his establishment.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

Can he just contract you for the night? Thus employing you? hmm

Post imported post

Or if you are sponsoring/hosting an event at the establishment.

Consider that the band is getting paid for their performance. You help the band load in, set up, tear down and load out. They pay you (or buy your drinks, etc). You are an employee of the band who are, by proxy, employees of the establishment.

You may CC.

Being in a band and engineering sound HUNDREDS of times over the years I have never encountered any problems carrying concealed as I work at any establishment.

You of course have to make your own decision about it, but enough argument could be presented under 18.2-308.J3 to support.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

If he employed you, AND you had a VA Armed Security guard certification, you could. Carrying concealed in a "restaraunt or club" is illegal.
    Mack The Knife sends.

"Laech cach fer co bas" (Gaelic- "Everyman a warrior until death")
    "Bas no beatha" (McLean war cry- "Death or life")

Post imported post

MackTheKnife wrote:
    If he employed you, AND you had a VA Armed Security guard certification, you could. Carrying concealed in a "restaraunt or club" is illegal.
    Please provide a cite for your extra legal requirement.

[line]
    §18.2-308 (J.3.): No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

MackTheKnife wrote:
    Carrying concealed in a "restaraunt or club" is illegal.
    Not in all cases: § 18.2-308.J.3

No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club...Nothing herein shall prohibit any...owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.
    Which is why folks are saying that it's permissible in those types of circumstances.

~ Boyd

Post imported post

MackTheKnife wrote:
    If he employed you, AND you had a VA Armed Security guard certification, you could. Carrying concealed in a "restaurant or club" is illegal.
    Wrong. As TexasNative duly noted, any employee may carry concealed so long as they have a permit and the owner approves, regardless of the capacity of their employment.

I find no reference to a "VA Armed Security Guard" certification under the VA DPOR (http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/ Department of Occupational and Professional Regulation) that would support your extra-legal reference.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

MackTheKnife wrote:
    Mack,

Sorry. You are wrong here. Please research before posting or be prepared to cite. Not trying to flame, but there are too many folks making posts before making sure what they say is correct.

Cheers.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

@wylde007: if they were to buy drinks as payment as you suggested then you better not have a gun on you. Just sayin.

Post imported post

PeteXD wrote:
    @wylde007: if they were to buy drinks as payment as you suggested then you better not have a gun on you. Just sayin.
    Yeah. I'll be sure to keep that helpful hint in mind...:quirky

Post imported post

Contract for employment

I (bar owner) do hereby employ (gun owner) to provide the services of "music critic"on (date). Theemployee will be compensated $1.

Signed (bar owner)

Post imported post

Naked,
    I like your attitude.

Post imported post

Would there be a need to be compensated by the owner in order for there to be an official transaction of labor? Could he just be helping out a friend and be "employed"?

Post imported post

richarcm wrote:
    Would there be a need to be compensated by the owner in order for there to be an official transaction of labor? Could he just be helping out a friend and be "employed"?
    "Employed" means an exchange of labor for some sort of renumeration. Cash is the usual means, but he could pay you by giving you a meal. Merely being there does not meet the definition of "employment".

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    richarcm wrote:
    "Employed" means an exchange of labor for some sort of renumeration. Cash is the usual means, but he could pay you by giving you a meal. Merely being there does not meet the definition of "employment".

stay safe.

skidmark
    that being the case you would have to be on payroll. otherwise he could pay me nothing at all and just say that he already paid me if questioned. Because if I'm just a customer who is at some bar to watch my friends play in a band...I would think that the owner would want to make this as easy as possible. He could give me $1 bill but he could also give me nothing with an agreement that he had paid me. Or if proof of payment is required he could put me on payroll.

Post imported post

That's why I contend that it's better to be "with the band" who are contractors being hired to provide a service and you are in their employ, not the club's. I think you would still be covered under J(3) as the "event sponsor" or employee.

The burden lies with the officer to prove that you are not actually in the chain of employment, but you take your own risks, I suppose.

When I work shows, I am ALWAYS armed, because I am generally loading-in, loading out behind buildings, in alleys and at VERY LATE hours (sometimes 2, 3 o'clock in the morning). I am not an "employee" of the club, but I have been hired by the event promoter to provide sound reinforcement and it is more appropriate to conceal my defensive weapon while rigging gear on a stage in front of hundreds of rowdy concert-goers.

These are just my experiences and opinions from someone who has exercised his perception of J(3) and had a couple of interactions with VB police (who are, admittedly, much better than Norfolk) who have acceded to same.