• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detroit mugger critical after victim retaliates

warlockmatized

imported post

Source: http://www.freep.com/article/200908...troit-mugger-critical-after-victim-retaliates

Posted: 12:53 p.m. Aug. 25, 2009 Detroit mugger critical after victim retaliates BY TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

A 32-year-old suffered a graze wound to the head but seriously injured a 17-year-old trying to rob him at gunpoint in Detroit early today, according to police.
The intended robbery victim, who has a permit to carry a weapon, pulled out his gun when he was confronted behind the apartment building at 1670 Oakman Blvd. near Linwood Street at 5 a.m. today, Detroit Police spokesman John Roach said.
After an exchange of gunfire, the intended victim escaped with only the superficial wound. But the 17-year-old is in critical condition today in a local hospital after running away and collapsing in the parking lot of a gas station across the street, Roach said.

“That’s what we’re seeing so much – young kids with guns,” Roach said.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Good for the lawfully armed citizen!

41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif

Jblack44

imported post

score one for the good guys! These young kids and armed attacks have been in the news lately. I heard that there have been somewhere around 1100 shootings in Detroit so far this year. That's 4.5 a day! :what:How can you not be armed when going into Detroit?????

malignity

imported post

Exhibit A why all law abiding citizens should carry guns. Imagine the drop in crime if there's no criminals alive to commit crime. :celebrate

maldog

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
malignity wrote:
Exhibit A why all law abiding citizens should carry guns. Imagine the drop in crime if there's no criminals alive to commit crime. :celebrate
YAHTZEE!
I 2nd That............................:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Veritas

imported post

Yeah... I just heard a few days ago that one of my old coworkers was shot during a carjacking in Detroit. Fortunately, he is fine... but he was shot in the leg and foot even though he surrendered his vehicle without a fight.

I'm not sure what pisses me off more... the fact that some asshole took what didn't belong to him, or the fact that he shot someone who wasn't even putting up a fight over it.

When I hear stories like this... I shudder. It's easy to say what I would have done... but unless I was actually there, all I can do is shudder when thinking about it. I mean... he took two bullets and survived, right? He was lucky. But if someone is going to shoot another person so mercilessly, what do you think they've have done if their victim pulled a gun of their own? Ran? Maybe. Aimed for their center mass, rather than their leg and foot? Maybe.

You really just don't know how things will unfold. But at the end of the day, I'll take my chances with being armed, any day, over not being armed. I figure if I'm going to be shot... I'm going to make an attempt at taking them with me.

And I'll leave it at that.

DanM

imported post

Veritas wrote:
You really just don't know how things will unfold. But at the end of the day, I'll take my chances with being armed, any day, over not being armed. I figure if I'm going to be shot... I'm going to make an attempt at taking them with me.

And if you don't manage to take the criminalwith you outright, you've substantially increased the chances they will have to go to a hospital, get caught,be connected to the crime against you, convicted, and imprisoned.

Even in a situation that you will not come out alive afterward,shooting in self-defense STILLhas its merits.

Veritas

imported post

DanM wrote:
And if you don't manage to take the criminalwith you outright, you've substantially increased the chances they will have to go to a hospital, get caught,be connected to the crime against you, convicted, and imprisoned.

Even in a situation that you will not come out alive afterward,shooting in self-defense STILLhas its merits.
Precisely. And not to sound like Captain America, but even if he "wins", he may think twice about trying it with someone else after the encounter.

The naysayers, on the other hand, look at the glass as half empty. They simply say, "Oh great... another gun on the street" in response to a legally armed citizen being killed and having their gun stolen.

I prefer to look at the glass as half full in that there's a fighting chance of getting one less illegal gun off the street; assuming I "win". I like those odds better.

Veritas

imported post

This is where situational awareness comes into play, as well. I'll admit that there are certain environments where I'm much more aware of my surroundings. I keep an eye on my mirrors to check for people approaching my vehicle, leave enough distance (when stopped) from the car in front of me in order to skirt around them if necessary, and my pistol is easily accessible to me. If I'm on a freeway or something, it's probably in my holster and attached to my hip. But if the environment calls for it, it's probably sitting on the seat next to me or tucked between my legs.

I've actually been meaning to get a shoulder holster just for these purposes. Leave it in my vehicle and just throw it on real fast if I'm going to be cruising through a less-than-perfect environment. Unlike the police, most criminals don't pay attention to the little things... like which hand you use to open your door. I could make like I'm reaching for my door handle with my right hand, when in reality I'm reaching for the trigger on the gun tucked beneath my arm.

It'd have to be something to practice with, too. It's not something I'd want to wing on the fly... especially in a high-stress situation.

I'll say this though... if I feel the area is dangerous, I'll actually drive with my window DOWN. It seems somewhat counter-intuitive... but if you think about it, some jackass who tries to rob you is probably going to stick his arm through the open window... which would be a big mistake. Twist that thing up and pop a round off into his exposed ribs. With the window up, he's out of your reach and has full control of the situation. The open window is just too tempting, I think, for most bad guys to pass up... assuming they have it in their mind to target you already.

InspectorGadget

imported post

Situational awareness is definitely the key.

I was ordering a little late night carryout at the drive thru window at Wendy's on Telegraph and Joy rd a few months ago when this guy starts walking up directly to my vehicle. I immediately stopped ordering and locked eyes with him, but he kept coming. When he was about 10ft from the front of my truck, I rotated a little in my seat and drew my weapon out of the holster. He must have known what I was doing because as soon as I drew my weapon, even though he couldn't see it, he made an immediate hard left and started moving away from me.

Who knows, maybe he was just going to ask for some money or something, but I wasn't going to be in a position to be caught behind the curve.

Chance favors the prepared mind!!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Veritas wrote:
I'll say this though... if I feel the area is dangerous, I'll actually drive with my window DOWN. It seems somewhat counter-intuitive... but if you think about it, some jackass who tries to rob you is probably going to stick his arm through the open window... which would be a big mistake. Twist that thing up and pop a round off into his exposed ribs. With the window up, he's out of your reach and has full control of the situation. The open window is just too tempting, I think, for most bad guys to pass up... assuming they have it in their mind to target you already.

Sounds like a ...a....well, it sounds ....like a trap. :what:

Am I reading this right? Are you trying to set up..... an impromptu execution opportunity (IEU)?

Veritas

imported post

HankT wrote:

Am I reading this right? Are you trying to set up..... an impromptu execution opportunity (IEU)?
Not a trap at all. I call it "controlling the situation". As I stated previously, if someone has it in their mind to target me, then I want them to do it on MY terms where I have the most control. That's all. Don't read more into it than what's written.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Veritas wrote:
HankT wrote:
Veritas wrote:

Not a trap at all. I call it "controlling the situation". As I stated previously, if someone has it in their mind to target me, then I want them to do it on MY terms where I have the most control. That's all. Don't read more into it than what's written.
So, open up your vehicle window based on the criterion of a dangerous area and you, um just lay in wait for someone (who you surmise would havedone it anyway) to stick his hand or arm in there? Then you quickly, uhm, close the window?

Then you, er, shoot him. That's your plan?

Is this the passenger window you keep open? Or the driver's side window? Or both?

Do you do this in the winter, too?

PDinDetroit

imported post

HankT wrote:
Veritas wrote:
HankT wrote:
Veritas wrote:

So, open up your vehicle window based on the criterion of a dangerous area and you, um just lay in wait for someone (who you surmise would havedone it anyway) to stick his hand or arm in there? Then you quickly, uhm, close the window?

Then you, er, shoot him. That's your plan?

Is this the passenger window you keep open? Or the driver's side window? Or both?

Do you do this in the winter, too?
Veritas: I'll actually drive with my window DOWN.

Hank T: um just lay in wait for someone.

Big difference there Hank! Sir, this post and others like it speaks VOLUMES. Please stop being part of the problem and be part of the solution.

BTW - I see you finally put in a location, albeit imprecise.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

Hank, if you were from Michigan, you would know that we drive around in the winter with the windows down so we don't have to deal with the frost on the glass and the heater up full blast. :):):). We don't do it to bait crooks.:shock:.Why would you think that, are you projecting?springerdave.