• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Open Carry While Hunting

SoCalGlock 21

imported post

I'm new to the forum and am enjoying all that everyone has to offer regarding open carry here in California. However, I advocate for the open carry movement more for self protection and self preservation than for activism. So here is my story on why I believe it to be incredibly important to open carry/have a side arm while hunting.

A couple years ago I was participating in a D16 deer hunt in my home San Diego county. Though I was not successful that season my hunting buddy was. He brought down a nice 3x3. His shot was misplaced in the gut and the deer took off into the thick stuff and we lost sight of it. We spent the next two hours tracking the buck. We finally went down a small hillside to a creek, had to duck under a fallen tree and proceeded to come up the other side of the hill. A few more hundred yards and the thick stuff finally opened up into a clearing. There, about 40 yards in front of us lay my buddy's buck along with a big female mountain lion feasting on his buck. The cougar turned startled and immediately hissed at us. Before we even realized what she was, she made a B-line right for us, mad as hell. I did not have a side arm on me that day and so I proceeded to chamber a round in my bolt action .308 win. However, before I could even get my rifle up to aim at the cougar, my buddy pulled his 1911 A1 .45 and unloaded 4 rounds right into her. She dropped two feet from where we stood.

The fish and game wardens were called and when they came out to investigate they asked us where we were standing in relation to the cougar. We both looked at the wardens and said, "see where that wet spot is on the ground?... that's where we were standing."

So, for any of you that are hunters out there. Please open carry while hunting and post any of your stories. I don't hunt without my .45 on my side anymore.

Carry On!

SoCalGlock 21

SoCalGlock 21

imported post

Unfortunately it wasn't my deer to keep and the cougar had done some considerable damage, so it really wasn't worth saving for the taxidermist.

As for the cougar..? Because there is no season in San Diego for cougar and they are not legal to hunt, we were not allowed to keep the cougar. However, it was found by Fish and Game that we were justified in shooting the cougar (maybe our puddle gave it away ;) ), so no charges were ever filed against us.

All I have from it is a story to share around the camp fire, with you all, and every reason in the world to carry a side arm while I hunt.

moleculo

imported post

Yep...I carry a .44 special revolver even when I'm bird hunting. You're in their environment and not every cougar, bobcat, coyote, or bear is your friend.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Oh come on, did you leave a puddle uncontrollably, or did you mark the spot intentionally?

Out of all my life-threatening encounters, that never happened.

I've only ever wet myself laughing.

SoCalGlock 21

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
Oh come on, did you leave a puddle uncontrollably, or did you mark the spot intentionally?

Out of all my life-threatening encounters, that never happened.

I've only ever wet myself laughing.

I'm not proud to admit it, but the puddle was real. Having a big cat run at me with every intention of bringing me down, scared me enough to wet myself... Funny thing though, I have never wet myself while laughing. Surprising how we all have individual reactions.