• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Green Bay "Leaders" Want Guns Out of Parks

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=10990645with video

Green Bay Leaders Want Guns Out of ParksUpdated:
var wn_last_ed_date = getLEDate("Aug 26, 2009 12:11 AM EST"); document.write(wn_last_ed_date);
Aug 26, 2009 12:11 AM EDT

By Sarah Thomsen

Open-carry picnics like the one held in Green Bay earlier this month may be illegal soon if Green Bay city leaders get their way.

The City is trying to prohibit people from openly carrying guns in parks -- but some say that's an infringement on their rights.

As about 90 people showed the community three weeks ago, it's perfectly legal to openly carry a holstered gun in a public park. A group did it with a Saturday afternoon picnic at Ted Fritsch Park with no problems, no disturbances.

"We're not planning any more open-carry picnics, that was just one, but they, Green Bay, wants to make sure it never happens again," open-carry supporter Bronson Smith said.

The city's law department drafted an ordinance prohibiting weapons in city parks unless they're unloaded and enclosed in a carrying case.

"People do still have the constitutional right to bear arms -- that right is absolute. They can openly carry a firearm in public but there are regulations in existence within state statute," assistant city attorney Tony Wachewicz said.

Current law prohibits open-carry in public buildings, and some city alders contend public parks should be included. They are, in both county and state laws.

"I'm just concerned how that affects individuals' rights to enjoy the parks," council member Amy Kocha said.

"Policemen come to our parks to protect our parks with guns. As a citizen, as a mother, that's how I feel safe, so I support this," Alder Celestine Jeffreys said.

"I'm not going to support this. I don't think carrying a holstered sidearm is dangerous," Alder Dan Piton said.

"For somebody to go out in public and enjoy the right to bear arms, by excluding all parks in Green Bay would be an extreme restriction," open-carry supporter Ed Foral argued.

The Green Bay Parks Committee voted 3-1 to ban open-carry in parks and sent it to the council for debate.

Open-carry supporters will spend the next week talking with council members, trying to convince them open-carry is a good idea. They'll also be at the city council meeting September 1st when this is debated.

apierce918

imported post

"Policemen come to our parks to protect our parks with guns. As a citizen, as a mother, that's how I feel safe, so I support this," Alder Celestine Jeffreys said

I hope for her benefit, she doesnt geta rude awakening.

Pal

imported post

:uhoh:Go ahead and pass this damn law. The parks are where criminals are going to wait and rob people because they know nobody carriesgun except LEO (just like the school zones).

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Come on folks --- does anyone think thatthiswould have been introduced and researched by city attorneywithout the blessing of the Green Bay mayor?

Listed below are the Wisconsin members of the Bloomberg-Dailyanti-2nd Admendment "Mayors AgainstGuns" cabel. ("cabel" definitions: 1. a small group of secret plotters against a government or authority. 2. the plots and schemes of such a group.)

Is it time for open recordsrequests forall communications between this group relating to open carry, the municipal cost to belong to this group and attend meetings, as well as any communications regarding open carry to the police chiefs and among the police chiefsin these communities? Time to make them as uncomfortable as they are making us.

I'm sure the citizens of Ashland, Beaver Dam, Park Falls, Stevens Point, Superior would be thrilled to know that their mayors want the sameprohibitions on their constitutional rightsas the mayors of New York City and Chicago insist for their citizens.

Note the cities listed below and their relationship to locations where firearm owners have encountered problems exercising their rights. Remember the hell that the Beaver Dam teacher went through? It took a threat of legal action by the ACLU to get the school board there to back down.

If you reside in a city listed below, contact the mayor and tell him that you will actively support his or her opponent with time and money in the next election.

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/members/members.shtml

Wisconsin:

spacer.gif

Ashland, WI

spacer.gif

Beaver Dam, WI

spacer.gif

Brookfield, WI

spacer.gif

Franklin, WI

spacer.gif

Green Bay, WI

spacer.gif

Madison, WI

spacer.gif

Milwaukee, WI

spacer.gif

Park Falls, WI

spacer.gif

Rhinelander, WI

spacer.gif

Saint Francis, WI

spacer.gif

Stevens Point, WI

spacer.gif

Superior, WI

spacer.gif

Watertown, WI

spacer.gif

Waukesha, WI

spacer.gif

West Bend, WI

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Flipper wrote:
"Mayors AgainstGuns" cabel. ("cabel" definitions: 1. a small group of secret plotters against a government or authority. 2. the plots and schemes of such a group.)
Says you.

The word is 'cabal' from Latin cabala from Hebrew Kabbalah

How is the credibility of the "cause" effected by such illiteracy.

Noun Singular
cabal

Plural
cabals
cabal (pluralcabals)
  1. A usually secret exclusive organization of individuals gathered for a nefarious purpose.
  2. The cabal is plotting to take over the world.
  3. A secret plot. The cabal to destroy the building was foiled by federal agents.
  4. An identifiable group within the tradition of Discordianism.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Doug -

I know that you would jump on that - I did it on purpose. :DWithout seeing the communications, it is a secret what this group is doing.My definitions are Random House Webster's College Dictionary's. Now can we get back to the topic? Bloomberg is leading the charge hard and has the media attention andprivate wealth to influence politicans.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=5099

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wisconsin Gun Owners is headquartered in Green Bay. Time for Corey to get into the game that is going on in his backyard.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Flipper wrote:
Come on folks --- does anyone think thatthiswould have been introduced and researched by city attorneywithout the blessing of the Green Bay mayor?
Yes, I actually do. If you had ever dealt with Ms Allison, you would understand. Mayor is not foaming at the mouth like Bloomberg is. Although I have not seen him speak out in favor of 2nd Amendment Rights or on the curtailment of them. I believe that it is a case of him not educating himself on the issues and he does not understand that "Mayors Against Guns" truly stands for the infringement of 2nd Amendment Rights for reasonable responsible adults but does nothing about actual crime. Bloomberg has been very effective in misrepresenting what he and his anti-gun groupare truly about. He is the poster boy for ineffective control of criminals with guns yet infringing on the rights of honest Americans.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Thank y'all for reading my work so closely. I pray that you read everything as critically and be so outspoken.

I put that little solecisim in to see if you were paying attention, kind'a like Flipper's guidance for me. What an empty and self-serving statement is that?

The conspiracy of your ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
Flipper wrote:
Yes, I actually do. ........ Mayor is not foaming at the mouth like Bloomberg is. Although I have not seen him speak out in favor of 2nd Amendment Rights or on the curtailment of them. I believe that it is a case of him not educating himself on the issues and he does not understand that "Mayors Against Guns" truly stands for the infringement of 2nd Amendment Rights for reasonable responsible adults but does nothing about actual crime. ..........

He should be contacted and asked about his membership in the group.State legislators pay attention to mayors as they have the ability to influence a lot of votes in legislative districts...... the "all politics is local" thing..... whentheMilwaukee (don't dial 911) mayor addresses the legistature on gun issues, you can bet he will bring upthe anti-gun mayors group, identifying all the Wisconsin cities listed.

From the listing of attendings at the national "summit." I don't find any attendee listing for other years. Must be that secret cabal thing :)again.

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/events/events.shtml

Mayors Who Attended the 2007 Summit

Mayor James J. Schmitt
Green Bay, WI

Mayor Tom Barrett
Milwaukee, WI

Mayor Theresa M. Estness
Wauwatosa, WI

That northwest Wisconsin mayors would be members is interesting.Maybe these mayors just wantto rub shoulders with the big boy cityslickslike Bloomberg and Daily.

Maybe they just don't realize what the group's agenda really is and come to their senses like this mayor did:

http://www.nraila.org/GrassrootsAlerts/read.aspx

The Green Bayparks issueis turning into animportant one with the pass on "guns in parks" taken by the MilwaukeeCountyCorporation Counsel.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

There are 64 "Parks" in the city of Green Bay.

There are only 48 State "Parks" in Wisconsin.

It seems to me, that the City of Green Bay has at their disposal a City Attorney with a personal agenda.

Should the City of Green Bay want to enact or enforce such an ordinance, they will surely find out how unenforceable the ordinance is when someone fights the citation in a higher court.

That is providing some one actually takes it that far.

I think most cities are waiting for the outcome of Jesus' case.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Flipper wrote:
The Green Bayparks issueis turning into animportant one with the pass on "guns in parks" taken by the MilwaukeeCountyCorporation Counsel.

My take is that all they said is that they are not going to do anything about it until they get some indication that they have to.

J.Gleason wrote:
Should the City of Green Bay want to enact or enforce such an ordinance, they will surely find out how unenforceable the ordinance is when someone fights the citation in a higher court.

I don't see anyone going ahead and deliberately getting cited in Milwaukee to challenge it. This leads me to believe that most of the chest thumping is just noise.For the Green Baypeoplemaking claims who don't want to drive to Milwaukee, all they have to do is go to a Brown County park to get cited. Green Bay is in Brown County and Brown County already also prohibits firearms.

Landose_theghost

imported post

Y'know I see this as the "leaders" trying to put a lid on our rights. I wonder if they realize that this is NOT going to put a stop to our events. Hell I think granted this passes, they will actually see an increase in OC events in GB (or @ least I hope so). I know I will be stepping up to the plate and OC'n everywhere I go when I'min GB, and I suggest we all do the same...