• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Non resident permits

thx997303

imported post

Since most of you are residents of VA here in a very happy corner of OCDO, I couldn't get much of an answer as to how long it takes to get a non resident permit.

So I guess we will find out. Application sent on 21AUG09

The wait begins.

thx997303

imported post

Which I do know, but I do not have a permit, and Utah has a large backlog, which may or may not be clearing up.

So does Texas, which is where I currently reside, and so does Florida, which is another permit I had considered.

In the end, it seemed like a VA non resident permit would get to me faster, is good in any state I frequent, and didn't require me to take a class as I am active military.

gis

imported post

I work and commute here to VA Monday through Friday, but I have my house in Michigan and am still a Michigan resident for now. I have a non-resident VA CHP even though my MI CPL is good here. Actually I have had the VA non-resident CHP since day one and have a very low number permit.

As to your question, I just got mine renewed. I dropped the paperwork in the mailbox on June 29 and got my CHP in the mail on July 31, and the CHP itself is actually dated July 22. So, about three weeks for State Police processing. I think that they do an excellent job. My original VA non-resident permit in 2004 took about the same amount of time.

I was surprised, however, that they asked me to submit proof of training again, and said that it could be the same as for the original CHP. I sent them a half-inch stack of my training certificates, NRA instructor and old police academy credentials. :lol:

I also talked to the ladies in the firearms unit in Richmond before I sent in my renewal. I specifically wanted to know, since I may be changing residency to VA in the near future, whether I would have to get a resident permit at that time and go through the process again. I could have easily carried under my MI CPL. They told me that my non-resident CHP would be good until expiration even if I become a VA resident. They are very professional and just a pleasant group of people to deal with.

gis

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Utah has a large backlog
My Utah permit expires in about 8 months. How long is it taking these days???

I renewed my Florida CWP about a year ago. It took 60 days, but the permit is good for 7 years.

A couple of others that you may consider are New Hampshire (2 weeks) and Pennsylvania (issued day after they got my application through Centre County Sheriff). Both of these I renewed just a couple of moths ago.

swinokur

Activist Member
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
When did you apply for yours?
I applied July 1, 2009 and received it July 30th. I sent a cashiers check and VSP even mailed me a receipt letter stating they had received the check.

Pretty good service IMO.

thx997303

imported post

Well if I get mine in that amount of time, it should be right about the same day my second daughter should be born.

What a day that would be eh?

press1280

imported post

NH is backlogged as well. Mine took about 30 day, and that was about 1 year ago. What I'm hearing now is more along the 60-90 days, with FL and UT sometimes over 100 days.

AFAIK PA (through Centre County) is getting the job done in under a month still.

Good to see VA is still working relatively fast, but I have a feeling they'll start getting backlogged as well, considering they(along w/FL and UT) are the only states that issue to non-residents without their own states' permit and do it by mail.

thx997303

imported post

Quite possibly, I am glad they were working quick, else I would have a permit for another 15 days at least.